Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • New helmet thoughts…
  • z1ppy

Being as there discounted at the moment, I’m being drawn to replace my helmet as it at least 4 year old now and has suffered numerous bumps (also I could leave my helmet light zip-tied to one over the winter, and not suffer under low branches during daylight rides)

So I currently use a Giro Xen (2nd one I’ve had, so a different helmet would be nice).. and was obviously replacement is the Giro Xar but have been drawn towards the Urge Endur-O-matic, as it pretty cheap (cheaper than the Xar), should sit lower on your head & has lots of cover. Main concern is that it’ll be too hot, as I do sweat quite a bit, this is a major concern. Also there the new Urge All-M coming out, with a lot more vents, so should I hold out for that – less sweaty but not as much cover?

The other worry is being mistaken for one of the local riding gods, as they all seem to use them :mrgreen:

Any thoughts?
    I have searched on here & read the threads but as they’ve been out for a while now, I thought there’d be more feedback available.

Going to wander over to Leisure Lakes & try them both out, to see how they fit first before buying, but any comments will be taken onboard.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have tried on all the Urges (because I want to be a riding god as well) but the sizing is on the small side and I have a huge 62cm noggin.

Janesy
    Free Member

did you not know that helmets have not been proved to save lifes………

/gets coat.

z1ppy

Did you know I only have one head?
    Which is quite fragile in the scheme of things, and I would prefer to try to protect it.

It’s all about choice, my choice is to wear a helmet.
    I forgot it on one ride last year (drove to location) & spent the whole ride feeling wrong.
    Same feeling I get when in a car without a seatbelt.

bruneep

Did you know I only have one head?

Some of the inbred hicks inland have 2, so I’m told.

eviljoe
    Free Member

I just feel more confident when I have a helmet on…

I like my xen, but the retention system does have a nasty habit of releasing when I raise my eyebrows…less good. I’d love a xen with a wheel release

MarkyG82

ive had the 661 recon for a few months now and really love it. Had a Met something then a giro hex. The recon fits much better than either of these.

Many people have said it has a funny fit so try it out.

chakaping
    Free Member

have been drawn towards the Urge Endur-O-matic, as it pretty cheap (cheaper than the Xar), should sit lower on your head & has lots of cover. Main concern is that it’ll be too hot, as I do sweat quite a bit, this is a major concern.

I have an endur-o-matic and I wouldn’t recommend it if you are a very sweaty betty.

I’m moderately sweaty and it gets a bit too warm on some rides, like last Sunday.

Janesy
    Free Member

Oh god I was joking, Im a pro helmet wearer 😀

I wear a XEN and a specialized S works MT (red)

z1ppy

(@ eviljoe) ahhh but the Xar has the roc loc 5, their newer retention system (with a wheel I believe)

GW
    Free Member

when clearance under branches and a less sweaty head are my main considerations I don’t wear a helmet at all

z1ppy

chakaping, that what I fear & really need a definitely answer about.
    It maybe fine for the next few colder months, but will I suffer when more moderate weather returns (I won’t joke and call it summer).

It does get good reviews about the airflow, and some reporta that the “heating up” happens when you waiting at the end of a trails…

GW
    Free Member

Jamesy – what’s a pro helmet wearing contract worth these days?

z1ppy

Jansey, I knew, but I am a believer in helmet, one solo ride near grizedale (very “rocky” compared to my normal rides) many years ago convinced me.

GW I refer you to the above answer… I can live with a bit of sweat and inconvenience, to ride more confidently.

z1ppy

GW and when those aren’t considerations, what helmet do you choose to use?

AlexSimon
    GW
    Free Member

A black one that fits well so it doesn’t look quite so shit.

Ps. true confidence comes from within not from a polystyrene hat.

jam-bo

Have you seen the new Giro Feature?

looks like they dusted off the Semi-MX.

now that was a hot lid.

z1ppy

Yes I’ve seen it (along with the Urge All-M below), less vents than my current Xen and along with the All-M it not going to appear until Feb and will be a “full price” for most of the summer

chakaping
    Free Member

That does look like it’d be much cooler than enduromatic.

brassneck

I’ve got the cheapest Specialized lid that came with the dial retention thing – was about £40, Snell rated and has a handy bit at the front that a Magicshine O Ring mount wraps around for night riding.

Bought it after I bought the non peaked version for road riding (to spread the headsweat load rather than styling/performance reasons) – doubt I’ll pay anymore again.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘New helmet thoughts…’ is closed to new replies.