Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • New commute into/out of that Lahndaan.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Inaugurated the 20-mile total bike commute this morning, following the purchase of the new wonder-machine. Need to scrub off some time though, so I’m going to hazard the Elephant and Castle traffic system this evening.

What are my chances of survival, I wonder? 😯

rewski
    Free Member

I did E&C roundabout once, never again, too many buses and risk takers, I use The Cut and Kennington Road.

wwaswas

A whole new slew of Strava segments open up before you 😉

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Weren’t you going to get one of those go-cycles?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member

Weren’t you going to get one of those go-cycles?

Yeah, but I decided to accept the challenge and MTFU about it…

rewski – Member

I did E&C roundabout once, never again, too many buses and risk takers, I use The Cut and Kennington Road.

I use The Cut and then weave across to Southwark Bridge now, then along Upper Thames.

Tower Bridge to E&C then A3/A24 and back might save some time…

crazy-legs

E&C is fine, I used it for years and years before all the new bus lanes went in and even then it was fine – it’s better now they have contraflow bus lanes and better visibility, traffic lights etc coming onto it.

The only problem I’ve ever had there was being pulled by the police for jumping 2 sets of red lights – I hadn’t noticed the police car just behind me. 😳
    They let me off with a warning.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Yeah, but I decided to accept the challenge and MTFU about it…

good commuting colors!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Ta. It is pretty stand-out noticeable. I was actually going for the next one down in the range in black and grey @ £800, but this was in a sale reduced from £1k to £720.

It was an offer I couldn’t refuse…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I was thinking about how dirty the white is going to get – I made that mistake with white mavic wheels on my Genesis, and then doubled it up with a white lezyne saddle bag…

yours looks good though, whilst it is clean…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Oh. Yeah. The nice white handlebar tape is already grubby… 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve done the E&C in a car a few times, I’ve yet to run anyone over on a bike..

Can’t say that area has any redeeming qualities about it..

Would avoid it if poss..

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Took the E&C last night and this morning. Easy peasy. Traffic well behaved, no problems.

Going home, it puts me on Boris’s CS7 route which takes me all the way to Colliers Wood before turning onto the A24 to Merton. Sweet.

Coming in via Tooley Street tomorrow though – the road up to Tower Bridge was almost impassable…

rewski
    Free Member

@ Mr W – off topic but have you ever done the wandle way? Was thinking of trying it Thames Path to Wandsworth to Croydon just for something different, bit bored of A23 to Purley.

BTW – Southwark Bridge is now cycle friendlier, dedicated lane and box.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Just need a bit of divine help, you’ll be fine……

brakes
    Free Member

40 miles a day?
    that’s good going.
    going to be fun on your red and white grey bike in the winter.

maxray
    Free Member

It’ll only get mucky the same way any coloured bike does. I have had a white Croix for 2 and some years now and its still white 😉

The brown bar tape helps I guess.

😀

mikeconnor
    Free Member

There is a safer cycle route which bypasses the roundabouts; goes round through south Bank University campus, then a couple of back streets and through a churchyard to rejoin with Kennington Lane, but it needs ‘learning’.

Roughly, you turn right off Newington Causeway onto Keyworth st, then trun left onto Ontario st, across to Princess st, then across to Oswin st which leads you to Churchyard Row. It may take longer but is a lot safer than the roundabout, although the whole junction has been made a lot safer in recent years.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

rewski – Member

@ Mr W – off topic but have you ever done the wandle way?

Nope. The road machine is strictly for the fastest possible commute at the moment.

I am considering the UK end2end for next year for a challenge…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

brakes – Member

40 miles a day?
    that’s good going.
    going to be fun on your red and white grey bike in the winter.

Ho ho ho.

I have discovered cadence! I’ll cope.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have discovered cadence! I’ll cope.

it’s good, isn’t it 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Good, but weird. “Common sense” seemed to dictate that if you push hard to go faster up a gradient and want to expend less effort, you should drop a gear and put up with a reduction in speed.

Instead, I’ve found that shifting UP allows slower turning, but easier action for the same speed.

Odd, but very groovy. (Can we still say “groovy”? I’m a bit out of touch…).

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘New commute into/out of that Lahndaan.’ is closed to new replies.