Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New car time: daft to go diesel?
  • Bregante

After 11 years it’s time to move on my Honda FR-V. Whilst it still runs well it is starting to get a bit tatty and I fancy a change. I’m looking at large estate cars and have a budget of 8-10k, so 4-5 year old Mondeos and Mazda 6 are looking favourite. Up until the last few weeks I was really keen on Volvo V70’s – probably D5 R-Design but I’m starting to be put off by the stories around the future of diesel (don’t fancy a 3.0l petrol). I do around 10-12k a year with most of that being motorway at the weekends.

I’m more concerned about the current uncertainty about impending tax penalties on diesels, possible rises in fuel duty and restrictions on travelling into City centres which are currently being mooted in the press.

So should I rule out diesels altogether or are they still a decent choice given the above?

cp

I don’t think there’s going to be any great changes to tax and duty, particularly on cars already registered. Not so long ago the government was essentially promoting diesel as they tax on co2, and diesels generally have low co2.

All talk of scrappage schemes seems to be only if you trade against a zero emission car, i.e fully electric. Can’t see the uptake being high enough to significantly affect diesel residuals.

Edit. Urban tax might apply, but I can see towns applying that as much to petrol cars aswell as diesel. Basically keep cars out of city centre.

The media as usual appear to be hyping up the situation to make stories.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Think of the children, etc..

mattyfez

I don’t think I’d pay a premium for a diesel over a petrol given your annual mileage, but if the price/spec of the car is right…
    Do Volvo not to the 2.3/2.4 t5 5 cylinder petrols any more, nice engines. You’ll only get 25 mpg out of them though, so do the maths.

How much power do you want? , you could get a non turbo petrol.

Bregante

Agree with you there mattyfez and TBH I think the relative scarcity of large petrol estates (in my limited experience) has all but eliminated the difference in prices between petrol and diesel models.
    Similarly specced petrol and diesel mondeo estates for example seem to be almost identically priced but there’s a far wider choice of diesels around.

Drac

I orderd my first none diesel car for about 18 years the other day.

mattyfez

Diesels can throw expensive bills at you too, relatively speaking, so that might be a consideration.

Bregante

I know Volvo did the 2.5 petrol up to 2007 but having done a few searches, if they do still do it they don’t crop up much.

Outright power really isn’t a priority in all honesty but I’ve been looking at the 2.0 mondeo over the 1.6 as it’s meant to be more economical and just a better engine overall. My 2.0 vtec engine in the Honda is fantastic and I have been looking at the Accord Estate but I’d be looking at a 2 yr older/higher mileage model for the same money.

breadcrumb

I think the relative scarcity of large petrol estates (in my limited experience)

I found this too, and those that do exist are terrible on fuel.

Even though my annual mileage is low I went for a diesel, didn’t help I had my heart set on a BMW Touring and petrols are thin on the ground.

timber

Choice of petrol secondhand cars is somewhat more limited, especially for something newer. Petrol would be my first choice for that sort of mileage.

globalti
    Free Member

Yes mine too. Recently I hired a 1.6 petrol SEAT Leon estate and was really impressed by it; I would definitely consider this if I had to buy my own car, especially if I could get it with DSG.

vondally
    Free Member

I drive approx 30k per annum, a have had diesal for years especially VW pd engines move to a dpf engine in a Seat and pretty much have had nothing but issues with the car. Last one for me I think, far too complicated and prone to problems.

Partner just got rid of her diesal for a petrol.

garage-dweller

Went through this last year. I do 20000 a year so am in traditional diesel territory.

Really wanted a decent petrol large estate.

In three months proper looking I found very little choice that fitted our criteria (near identical to yours). Generally we found the specs weren’t as good on the petrols (eg no DAB) or we were looking at two year older Mercedes (seem to be a few E and C class petrols).

We bought a diesel and it is very good but I’d still rather have had a petrol.

If you want choice of individual cars it’s probably diesel. If you’re prepared to travel and be flexible on models it may be worth persevering on the petrol.

squirrelking
    Free Member

With diesel generally at a minimum 33% better mpg than a petrol it’s a false economy going for a petrol at higher miles, especially 30k!

Generally the whole city taxing thing doesn’t bother me, park and ride is cheaper than just parking and the less cars the better IMO

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New car time: daft to go diesel?’ is closed to new replies.