Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • New car: 2008+ Ford Mondeo
  • hora
    Free Member

Anyone owned/driven these for work?

Ideally a 2.0 petrol for simplicity. I don’t want the hassle of turbo’s etc.

Any problems electrically, or like Renton’s SMax etc? 🙁

bensales
    Free Member

I had a 2008 2.0 TDCI Zetec mk4 for 3 years and 60k miles. Was on 90k when I sold it. Other than the bonnet catch seizing it needed nothing other than routine servicing and tyres in that time. The bonnet catch is a known issue, water runs down the cable and it seizes. The only way then to open the bonnet is to cut the catch and replace the lot. Ford went halves with me on it so it was about £100.

Good solid motorway mile muncher. Huge boot on the hatchback, estate even bigger. Awkward to park though, so get one with parking sensors. Below 15k a year, petrol, above, oil-burner.

hora
    Free Member

I was thinking about this (hatch v estate)- do you really need an estate for bike(x1)?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Depends what else you’re carrying. The estate version is jumbonormous.

Cougar

I had a 2L diesel Titanium for four years. Awesome car, stop dithering and buy one.

I had a couple of teething problems, but all were fixed under warranty with absolutely no fuss.

The estate really is very big. Colleague had one (for the bikes, coincidentally) and regretted it – said it was just too big.

Plus, I’ve got a set of (hatchback) roof bars you can have for a nominal fee.

hora
    Free Member

Suppose its a brucey-bonus. Estates are rarer though.

I had a 2L diesel Titanium for four years. Awesome car, stop dithering and buy one.

Oh aye- just need to find one with proper history/not wound back now.

In black- does the paint hold up well (think they look really nice in black).

Cougar

Never driven the petrol, but I can’t imagine the 1.6 is much fun. It’s a heavy motor too, remember.

The 2L diesel was quick and capable, 150PS IIRC, and enough torque to haul a small country. You could set off in third gear and hardly notice.

steveh

IIRC (and I’m fairly sure I do) then petrol mondeos have dual mass flywheels not just the diesels. Still might be better with a petrol but one thing to bear in mind when deciding.

hora
    Free Member

Good point. Will check. If the 2.0 does might as well tip me towards a 2.0TDCI as Im buying from a dealer anyway.

sadmadalan

We have a 61 Mondeo Diesel estate and we are very happy with it. Boot is huge (we have owned V70’s in the past so can compare) Drives ok – but it is a large car so the torque from a diesel engine is useful.

weeksy

I’ve got a 2010 2.0 diesel. It’s been perfect and cost £0 apart from servicing.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

petrol mondeos have dual mass flywheels

as do loads of petrol cars

they’re less prone to failure on a petrol IIRC (but I might be making that up)

vinnyeh

I bought a 58 plate 1.6 petrol estate last year, 142,000 miles, £2700, as a stop gap when I broke the engine on our van.
    Full dealer service history, good condition, but not mint. Now on 161000. Obviously fairly underpowered, but still fast enough for overtaking, even loaded. Fuel economy not great though(33mpg at the moment, with all weather tyres). Satnav is ok, comes with the stuff I want in a car(parking sensors, a/c, cruise control. Drives very well in my opinion.
    Still tight and rattle free, only problems have been an abs sensor and rear parking sensor.
    I’d kind of like something more interesting, especially since it’s big, and with the van we don’t really need the size, but it works very well and is cheap to insure.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve got the 2.0 petrol (’57 plate). What do you need to know?
    I really like the car – even though it’s a bit slow (40-60 speeds, above/below that it’s fine). Shame it only does 32mpg, or I’d keep it til it dies.

twistedpencil

2009 diesel estate here, swallows a large 29er in the boot with the wheels off nicely, struggled to do this with the hatchback, my dad has one so I could repeatedly try ;-).

I do a lot of miles at the moment and it’s been superb, comfy and boring, perfect for the m62, highly recommended.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2009 2.0 diesel zetec which is the most popular and IMO the sweetspot – I certainly wouldn’t go for the petrol.

In short, it’s been great. I’ve done about 40k miles in it including holiday trips, etc. The boot is huge, the cabin is spacious (I’m 6’5″) and comfortable. The worst thing I can think of is that the tyres are fairly expensive (£75-£125 each not sure why the variation but replacement costs for similar products seem to vary quite a lot) and wear fairly fast, particularly at the front.

Oh, it is fairly long with overhangs – if you can get one with parking sensors, I would (I didn’t).

I might get the estate if I was buying now mind, just for holidays with two young kids really though we managed to fit everything in ok last year and still found space for 60+ bottles of wine on the way back.

Cougar

The worst thing I can think of is that the tyres are fairly expensive

I worked out that over four years it would’ve cost 14p/mile in rubber. Though I don’t expect I helped much in the tyre wear stakes. (-:

nemesis
    Free Member

14p per mile! Mondeos aren’t really boy racer cars 😉

Cougar

*whistles innocently*

I almost certainly could have been a more economical driver, and I’m sure there were cheaper options than the boots I had fitted. But I wasn’t paying for them so didn’t give a toss.

That includes extraordinary replacements too, of course; irreparable punctures and the like.

hora
    Free Member

and still found space for 60+ bottles of wine on the way back.

Did you sound like a milk float?

DezB
    Free Member

I almost certainly could have been a more economical driver

It is fun to chuck such a big car round corners fast isn’t it?

nemesis
    Free Member

You’re obsessed by milk, aren’t you, Ernie? I mean, Hora.

hora
    Free Member

Get off binners patch, he’ll shiv’ you for that.

Scamper
    Free Member

Save even more money and go for a late plate previous generation petrol 5dr. I had the low powered 1.8 zetec but the sublime steering and handling made up for it. Sold it 18 months ago – 54 plate, 145k, £800, bargain. Bought it at 85k and I think it only needed wheel bearings.

nemesis
    Free Member

Shiv?

I can’t see Binners on a TT bike

hora
    Free Member

Save even more money and go for a late plate previous generation petrol 5dr. I had the low powered 1.8 zetec but the sublime steering and handling made up for it. Sold it 18 months ago – 54 plate, 145k, £800, bargain. Bought it at 85k and I think it only needed wheel bearings.

Great cars but getting long in the tooth, unless there are any lateish under 100k ones knocking about still.

IanW
    Free Member

Funnily enough I’m looking at one of these 59, 2.0d estate with all the bobbins for my new long distance commute and trips to France / Scotland.
    Just the job IMO.

BillMC

Black cars do not hide the dirt at all well.

hora
    Free Member

Eeeee looking at the previous gen Mondeo- its interior makes me want to wash the world in grey and live as a monk on water and bread 🙁

aracer
    Free Member

08 1.8TDCi Edge Estate here – bought with over 120k on the clock 18 months ago. Have had the clutch/dmf replaced, but allowed for that needing doing when I bought it (and to be honest you’re just as likely to have that issue with one which has done 80k costing thousands more). Very nice car – easy to drive, but for a big car it gives you confidence in the corners. As mentioned above the only real issue is that it’s huge and you do have to think when you park.

Oh and I’ve also replaced the bonnet release cable – did it myself and only ~£25 for the cable IIRC (though it wasn’t an easy job!)

DezB
    Free Member

I like my Mondeo’s interior. It’s kinda welcoming

Arrrgghh! My Eye!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

mk3 interior is MUCH nicer than the mk4. Mk4 looks like too much effort has been used and the end result (unless you get one of the top end ones with the gloss black trim) is cheap.

I’ve said it a million times before but my old mk3 ST TDCI was one of the best cars I’ve ever had.

Scamper
    Free Member

Yes, I thought my mark 3 interior was ok – textured ‘rubber feel’ dash and seat cloth which had no sign of wear after years of use.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘New car: 2008+ Ford Mondeo’ is closed to new replies.