• This topic has 21 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by duff.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • New brakes – what to get?
  • duff
    Free Member

Yes, Another "What brakes should I buy" 🙂

I've currently got a set of Avid Jucy ultimates and have been having a few problems with them. After advice from my LBS and the general impression I get from web reviews they're not the most reliable brakes so I've decided to get a new set.

I'm looking for fairly powerful, reasonably light and high end brakes that will be reliable and have the following in mind:

Hope X2 – One LBS has suggested these, they look nice and I imagine should perform well however not sure they are compatible with X0 shifters? Also how reliable are they?

XTR – I've had XT in the past and can't fault them however as the rest of the bike has XTR/XO it would fell like downgrading to get XT. Are the XTRs worth the high price?

Margura Louise Carbon BAT SL – I've had FRs in the past and they were fantastic but my LBS says they have nothing but trouble with Magura(sending off the same set several times for a rebuild/pressure test etc). My mates Martas needed in rebuild in under a year so that does kind of back that up but I loved my old Louises.

Can anyone offer any experience of the above before I shell out on a new set (I'm leaning towards Hope atm if they will fit).

Cheers

james
    Free Member

You've left off Avid Elixirs?

"not sure they are compatible with X0 shifters?"
    I think they are if you use a special matchmaker plate, one special for hope brakes I beleive? Not sure if its a SRAM or hope part though

XTR's don't have the servo-wave lever, XT and SLX do

Whats actually the problem with the juicy's?

spock
    Free Member

apparentley there is very little different in the xt's to xtr's ,i personally would choose the xt's over the xtr's because of the power adjust and post mount.

Hope's are very nice, the new lever it great with the power and reach adjust easily hand operated. But expect the 'hope brakes are ****' from a few people on here.

id go with the hopes .

If you dont mind them not being bling hayes 9 are very reliable, good feel/power, extremely easy to bleed and pad changing is a breeze. they do a carbon lever version as well if you want a little bling

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coogan
    Free Member

hope brakes are ****

Mister-P
    Free Member

XT levers with XTR calipers.

chimptastic
    Free Member

I've just upgraded to X2s and so far I've been impressed. Last ones were Juicy's which were ****. What I like about the X2s is the adjustable leaver and bite point.

duff
    Free Member

I'll never get Avids, even if the Elixirs are better built I'm not willing to buy Avid again. The pistons have seized, lever feel is awful (spongy, slow to return), they squeal like mad and aren't that powerful. The cost of getting this done at a shop makes it more logical to buy a new set, I'm sure a competent person could rebuild them and get them OK but if they require regular mantainence then they're just not for me!

Normally I'd go for XTs but as I say it feels like I'm downgrading, as the bike came well-specced I knew it would be expensive to replace like-for-like or better but that's what I'll try to do even if it doesn't really make sense finacially. Will have a look at the XT/XTR combo though…

I'm sure Hayes are good but they look a little "industrial" for my taste.

edsbike
    Free Member

I would definitely recommend the Hopes. I've got the X2s (180f/160r) and they're plenty powerful enough for riding in and around the Peaks. I run them with the Shimano version of the 'Matchmaker', which is made by hope, I think they're around £25 but are well worth as they look cool and take another thing off your bars. They can be run on the normal clamp, but work best without the shift indicator window.

Plus you can't beat hope for reliability, ease of maintenance and backup. I think most people would find it hard to disagree with that last one.

Ed

SimonR

Recently bought some Hope Tech X2s and very impressed with the power and feel. Admittedly not put any serious miles into them but they've done a few months in the winter filth and are doing fine so far.

A string of bad experiences with minis, mono minis and M4 means this is the first set of Hopes I've bought in several years. So why did I go for them this time …. couldn't beat the price that my LBS offered them for … and I couldn't resist all that CNC work!

All in all, pretty pleased so far.

coogan
    Free Member

Plus you can't beat hope for reliability, ease of maintenance and backup. I think most people would find it hard to disagree with that last one.

Dunno about the reliability part, Shimano in IME are far more reliable.

justme
    Free Member

+1 for shimano g

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

My experience is limited to Shimano LX, Avid Juicy 7's and Formula Oro's.

In first place I'd put Oro (havent needed any work, dont mind winter, great power, light but will eventually need a £15 bleed kit). They are in the process of being superseded now tho – you may get some bargains.

2nd – Shimano (good power, easy to work on, any car bleed kit works)

3rd – no brakes at all (kind of came about accidental like when using Juicy's that leaked)

4th – Avid Juicy's (good power, bugger to work on – need the £39 bleed kit often etc). Maybe I've been unlucky.

But that's just my experience.

vikingboy
    Free Member

Any reason you wouldnt consider Formula R1s or The Ones? best brakes out there IMHO.

edsbike
    Free Member

Yep Shimanos are reliable to – probably even more so than the hopes. But, overall, the Hopes are the one that I would go for.

giantjason
    Free Member

my vote would go to the Magura Louise. Have one set on my commuter and another on my hardtail. Great brake and havent needed to bleed them in over 2 years.

One thing i have found is that if not bedded in correctly the pads will not last very long.

Magura also have great customer service just in case something were to go wrong.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I'd say go for the XT brakes with servo wave. I have just bought a set after recommendations on here. The power and the glory, amen.

bol

Keep up the anti Elixir vibe guys – all the more sets for the enlightened to buy cheap out of the classifieds. I think they're great. Never saw the appeal of Hopes myself – look a bit home made, but maybe that suits the home made looking Orange 5s you always see them on?

pypdjl
    Free Member

Home made? Do you have a giant CNC machine in your house?

Spud

After getting Formula on my last full bike I'll be getting another set when cash allows, great brakes!

duff
    Free Member

Keep up the anti Elixir vibe guys – all the more sets for the enlightened to buy cheap out of the classifieds. I think they're great. Never saw the appeal of Hopes myself – look a bit home made, but maybe that suits the home made looking Orange 5s you always see them on?

Where is all this anti-Elixir talk of which you speak? My opinion relates to Avid in general through personal experience and the opinion of a couple of bike shop mechanics and also some online reviews so I'll leave them to "the enlightened"…

and how does this look home made:

billyboy
    Free Member

I've used………
    Avid juicy 7s………….not the easiest of things to live with….everytime you change pads there is a sruggle to get the pistons far enough back to get the new pads in.. they sqealand the pistons stick more regularly than any other brake I've known
    Hope M4s, two sets, the older ones squeal no matter what but behave longterm (5 years…with only one sticky piston), the newer ones are sweet but have needed the occassional tease back when a piston sticks.
    Shimano deore….. occassional squeal…one sticky piston in two years.
    Recently put XTs on girlfriend's bike and we are initialy impressed but it's only been two months.

duff
    Free Member

Well, thanks for everyones input – some really useful pointers there!

It was a toss-up between Shimano and Hope. Other than the X2s I was considering XT shifters/rotors with XTR calipers and Goodridge hoses – buy the time you've got the adaptors and fluid it comes to £375.

However I was having a look on Merlin and they're doing a set of XTRs for £229. OK this is with 160 c/l rotors but I could sell these and even after buying a set of XT rotors (or the Hope floating rotors if they are compatible as they look cool!) and adaptors it's probably going to come in at around £270. At that price I think it's going to be my best option.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘New brakes – what to get?’ is closed to new replies.