Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • New Bike Time, Spesh Stumpy or Camber?
  • franksinatra

New bike time and on a bit of a budget. 2016 Specialized Camber Comp and Stumpy FSR Comp both available with good deals, similar price, similar spec. I guess my riding is leaning more towards xc than gnar but I can still get myself around a black route or slightly steeper natural stuff. Really can’t make up my mind, head says Camber, heart says Stumpy.

Any real world experience of either or both, or other useful thoughts much appreciated.

Tracey

We have both in medium 29r evo. Both are very good but if I had to pick one it would be the Stumpy

LMT
    Free Member

I’ve got the 29er camber comp 2016 version and love it, I was in the same boat thinking do I get the stumpy which I demoed but preferred the camber in the end.

Main reason is I keep my tyres to the ground and Cannock is my local so nothing too hairy there and the bike is more than good enough for those welsh trips.

My one and only gripe is the paintwork is terrible scratches at the sight of a cleaning cloth.

jmatlock
    Free Member

As a previous owner of a Camber, which I loved. I would say go for the Stumpjumper. It gives up nothing to the Camber. Pedals so well there is no disadvantage to the extra travel.

franksinatra

I prefer the look of the Stumpy (better paint job) and I like the fact that it has a dropper but cheaper price will leave me spare notes to buy one.

I’ve owned a Stumpy before and I am attached to the heritage, but I know that means nothing when it comes to the ride.

Camber is better priced and probably suits my riding better, hence the head versus heart argument.

My worry is that if I get a Camber will I be thinking I wish I had got the Stumpy!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stumpy.

6Fattie. 🙂

chestrockwell

Mate of mine has a Camber Evo and rates it. He knows how to smash a bike around too. He did stick 140mm Pikes up front though.

Kuco

I’ve had a medium 650b Carbon Camber for the past 6 weeks and have ridden it in the peaks, wales and just recently came back from a week in Spain and can’t fault it. The 130mm never seemed out of place.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Funnily enough, I have a camber evo which I love. I have become a much better rider and enjoy riding much more than on my v old HT, I demoed the stumpy too and from Giant Trance v Anthem SX

I am now riding much harder stuff yet still do 3-4 hr XC rides too. So camber is perfect. But because I am riding harder stuff better and faster, I now have an itch re the stumpy. It’s stupid but it’s true.

Interestingly just before buying my camber I was at a demo day and took out an enduro just to rule it out. I loved it even on the climbs – which in a v roundabout way suggest I probably should have bought the stumpy ?!?

Having said all that, the camber makes me smile every time I ride it and it is more bike the I need. Absolutely brilliant bike. They are both great bikes IMO and you will enjoy either.

devash
    Free Member

I own a Camber and it’s a great allrounder but if the price is similar then I’d definitely get the Stumpy. Modern long travel trail bikes climb well so that isn’t an issue, and you will enjoy the downs more.

mickmcd
    Free Member

My worry is that if I get a Camber will I be thinking I wish I had got the Stumpy!

And you will

kudos100
    Free Member

If you only live for the climbs and don’t ride anything technical (roadie on a mtb) get the camber.

If anything else, get the stumpy. I rode both the 26″ camber and stumpy and I owned a stumpy for a couple of years and loved it.

Doesn’t give up much at all on the climbs, is really fun and is much better than the camber downhill.

sprocker
    Free Member

I have a 2015 camber evo 29 er ride in the peaks etc and I really rate it, 130mm pike on the front and it’s ace. Did Laggan black on it last week and it felt great. I find it far more entertaining than my former enduro sled. It is a bit less capable on the real rough stuff Alps etc but it’s loads better on the majority of stuff I do. Stumpy is a really nice bike though, think they may have changed the 16 model a bit from mine

golo
    Free Member

Wot was said above. Camber – you have the option to put 140 on the front and stay on the right side of the warranty. It’ll also take 650+ up to 2.8″ if you want to add extra squish.

jmatlock
    Free Member

The camber NEEDS a pike to really get the most out of it.

Rebas/Revs really hold the bike back. With a 140 Pike it’s a hell of a bike.

franksinatra

All good feedback, thanks.

Really am heading towards the Stumpy now, just need to decide on 29 or 650b!

Decisions decisions!

jmatlock
    Free Member

Stumpy in either wheelsize is all the bike anyone really needs.

Carbon Stumpy, with Pikes. Perfect.

br
    Free Member

Frank

If you want a spin on my Camber just pm me thru the BBC.

More than enough bike for the ‘Valley.

The camber NEEDS a pike to really get the most out of it.

+1, and then take it out to 140mm 🙂

franksinatra

Thanks everyone

Ordered a 29in Stumpy from Leisure Wheels! Can’t wait.

Tracey

Good choice. You wont be disappointed

bigdean

The problem I have with the stumpy 29 evo is the head tube to too long, resulting in high bars, the top tube front centre is too long.

muggomagic

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Stumpy.

6Fattie.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘New Bike Time, Spesh Stumpy or Camber?’ is closed to new replies.