Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • new bike ….pipedream
  • CheesybeanZ

Pipedream sirius . new frame , the rest from parts bin and tinterweb bargains .first ride tonight , very happy 8)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Looks good, but Im suprised that a wooden gate can support the weight of a Pipedream Sirius

KINGTUT
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member

Looks good, but Im suprised that a wooden gate can support the weight of a Pipedream Sirius

heh.

sheldona
    Free Member

Looks cwap 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

I've got an older one and love it.

IMG_0289 by simoncarter.es, on Flickr

Enjoy, you won't be disappointed.

CheesybeanZ

its a good strong gate , i can live with 26lb .

rOcKeTdOg

you can't beat a good steel hardtail, i like that, less showroom bling and more practical riding parts, very unusual on this forum

PJay
    Free Member

I love mine too, although I've gone down the rigid route. I think that the weight thing is overplayed a bit too, they're not the lighest frames around but they are CEN tested and plenty tough enough. In the recent WMB steel hardtail test (which the Pipedream won) I think that the Sirius was the lighest on test (although I'd have to check to be sure), lighter even than the Cove Handjob (although a weight comparision between the Sirius and the likes of a BFe and Blue Pig probably isn't very meaningful).

markinoxon
    Free Member

@CheesybeanZ: I couldn’t decide between the green and the black until now. Yours looks great; its an understated beauty and I now have a black frame on its way to me 🙂

PJay
    Free Member

Interestingly Pipedream are now promoting their forthcoming R853 Scion which seems to be a lighter, fixed dropout version of the Sirius. I can’t see any indication as to whether the Scion will be CEN tested (the Sirius was originally not going to be but ended up being CEN tested). It looks interesting but I’m happy with my Sirius.

donsimon
    Free Member

@ PJay, what’s the fork?

PJay
    Free Member

It’s an Orange F8 steel fork. Although the F8 is officially only available in black, if you ask nicely they’ll paint you up one free of charge using one of their custom frame colour options (mine’s Kermit Green which isn’t exactly the same as Pipedream’s Kawasaki green, but close enough). There may be a bit of a delay depending on what colour the paintshop is currently using.

Pipedream do their own Infinity fork but they’re only available in black or white (fine if you have a black frame), it’s a shame they didn’t do a batch in colours to match the Sirius.

donsimon
    Free Member

Thanks, I’m thinking about rebuilding mine as a rigid SSer for the winter.

tollah
    Free Member

Hijack, Don Simon, I’ve got a Surly rigid fork for sale only 4or 5 rides use! Email in addy if you’d like more info.

Kahurangi

Well they’ve gone back to 16mm seat stays on the Scion, where the new Sirius has 19mm stays. I approve, but need the sliding rear end and green paintjob for my life to be complete 😀

markinoxon
    Free Member

I’ve ordered a Sirius but since then have spent 48hrs trying to contact them to change this to a Scion. Anyone know how to get Pipedream to answer a call, return a voicemail or reply to an email?

letmetalktomark

26lbs complete is very good – is it a 19.5”

Mine is SS guise with reasonably lightweight parts is a smidge over 24lbs

andrewh
    Free Member

I’m spending too long looking at pics on here. Those top three with the gears look a bit odd, took me a while to realise why! The other two look more normal…

markinoxon
    Free Member

@andrewh. Is it just the gears or something more subtle?

CheesybeanZ

Those top three with the gears look a bit odd, took me a while to realise why!

okay , what have i done wrong with the build ?????

PJay
    Free Member

I’ve had no problems getting hold of the chaps at Pipedream by email, or for that matter leaving a voice mail but they seem to be a fairly small setup (and sometimes out riding) so do persevere. They’ve always got back to me, but sometimes it can take a while.

The Scion does look interesting but I’m really happy with my Sirius.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Can someone tell me what the difference between the scion and normal siruis is

is it just lighter?

What benefit is

Cowled dropouts with replaceable hanger

?

PJay
    Free Member

As far as I can see it’s just going to be a little lighter. I think that they’ve gone back to 16mm chainstays from the 19mm on the Sirius but I don’t know whether that will make for a more compliant ride; my Sirius is plenty comfy. I supose that if, like me, you’re only going to run a geared set up the sliding dropouts aren’t a major selling point, although I think that they’re Paragon Machine Works droupouts which give you the option of geared, singlespeed, Roholf or Maxle droupout which make the Sirius a pretty versitile frame; I’d guess that losing the sliding dropout probably saves a bit of cost too. The Scion also appears to only have bottle cage boses on the downtube.

I get the feeling that the Scion is a bit of a response to some critism of the CEN testing changes uping the weight of the Sirius somewhat, although I don’t have a problem with the weight of my 19.5″.

pastcaring
    Free Member

@ op, hope it rides as good as it looks.

donsimon
    Free Member

I never had problems getting replies from Pipedream, most were answered on a Sunday, which I was very impressed with.
    Thanks for the offer tollah, but postage to Spain would probably kill and joy of cheapness. 😉

markinoxon
    Free Member

I’ve ordered a Sirius but since then have spent 48hrs trying to contact them to change this to a Scion…

They emailed and called me today – the delay was illness related so I feel a bit bad about my moan earlier.

Anyway, the Scion won’t be available until mid-January. They’ll be confirming weights at about the same time.

@CheesybeanZ – how does it ride? Did you work out why andrewh thinks your bike looks, erm, “a bit odd”?

Northwind

PJay – Member

“Interestingly Pipedream are now promoting their forthcoming R853 Scion which seems to be a lighter, fixed dropout version of the Sirius. I can’t see any indication as to whether the Scion will be CEN tested (the Sirius was originally not going to be but ended up being CEN tested).”

Sounds like they might be correcting the mistakes of the Sirius- it was designed without consideration of CEN then bodged into compliance at the last minute which is why it’s so overweight for an 853 XC frame. They walked into it to be honest with their head-in-the-sand approach to the testing but it’s still a shame to see a good company take a hit like that.

markinoxon
    Free Member

Sounds like they might be correcting the mistakes of the Sirius…

All they have changed is the dropouts, seatstays, lost one set of bottle cage bosses and introduced a horrible blue paint job. If the Sirius was that wrong surely it would take more than the above to fix it?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m struggling with these claimed weights TBH.

I’ve got an SS T1456 thats 23lbs, and it can’t really get much lighter without being silly.

tazzymtb

very nice and understated. I always fancied the brewmaster because it contained string and glue, but you can’t go wrong with a nice steel frame.

el_boufador

Been riding mine for a while now and I love it. Great fun, especially on singletrack. Nice and comfy. Versatile. Takes a battering. Cheap (for what it is)

Seems ‘quite light’ to me (not that I really care that much). Don’t think there’s owt else on the market I’d want to swap it for.

Gratuitous pic (actually being ridden!):

markinoxon
    Free Member

el_boufador, how did you master the ‘pissed, falling back against that tree on my back wheel with my lights puking out all their light in one go’ look? 🙂

Edit. Seriously, how did the lights come out like that but you and bike are fine?

el_boufador

many years of practice

smell_it
    Free Member

I’m struggling with these claimed weights TBH.

Snap, they seem to build up lighter than Soul’s, but weight’s not everything I guess.

PJay
    Free Member

I’m not sure where all this ‘correcting the mistakes …’, bodged CEN compliance and seriously overweight comes from. I didn’t weigh my frame (19.5″) but the overall build weight didn’t seem much different to my 853 Inbred build (the kit was transfered across), it certainly doesn’t feel any heavier to ride or, for that matter, slower or less comfty. In the WMB grouptest, which the Sirius won it was also the lighest build; I appreciate that magazine articles are hardly definitive but the bikes were given a serious test by competent individuals and they certainly didn’t seem to complain.

CEN compliance was a suprise, when I pre-ordered my frame in December the Sirius wasn’t going to be CEN tested, the frame that arrived many months later (after some long delays, the original ETA was December) the frame had been CEN tested and was, no doubt, a bit heavier as a result; I’m no expert but I can’t see, or more to the point, feel when riding, anything that suggests that it’s a bodge (nor in fact did the WTM team),the ride seems just as nice as my non-CEN 853 Inbred. My main gripe was the Pipedream didn’t inform me of the changes that were being made after my pre-order had be placed.

If I was buying again I’d probably go for the Scion, I don’t need sliding dropout and a little less weight in a frame that’s not going to be running 130mm fork and getting thrashed is probably a good thing and narrower chainstays might at a bit extra compliance (although the Sirius is a very comfy ride), but I’m really pleased with my Sirius.

CheesybeanZ

pastcaring – Member
    @ op, hope it rides as good as it looks

rides great feels more springy than my old Inbred , its now got RS revs at 125mm and feels great . just had a week riding in Innerleithen mix of trail centre and natural stuff with no probs . the sliding drop outs are good for ss with no need for a ugly tensioner .

Macgyver

Just about finished building up a MK1 frame and looking forward to riding it. No idea the difference in ride between the new and the old but i do like the skinnyness looks of the MK1. Built up with an old pair of Pace RC36’s and it’s got a nice blend of old school, new look about it.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I don’t think that is much heavier than many other CEN compliant hardtails of this type, but its rather heavier than they originally claimed it would be. I for one, was looking for a lighter steel trail bike, rather than a heavier one, and, had I commited, I would have been rather pee’d off with them.

poppa
    Free Member

For all you Pipedream owners, Bikeradar posted a very positive review recently:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/sirius-custom-10-39838

They didn’t give a flying fark about the weight and neither should you.

Northwind

OK, I think I probably got carried away there, you’re probably right and they actually haven’t fixed the mistakes of the Sirius. Hoping for too much there maybe.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘new bike ….pipedream’ is closed to new replies.