Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New Bike – Orbea Occam TR
  • teamslug
    Free Member

Morning all,
    Lucky enough to have added a new bike to the stable.

My first 29er, coming straight from 26″ I was always concerned about the claims that 29er’s steer like a barge etc etc, I was looking for a XC/Trail bike for solo 12/24 hour races and longer rides and narrowed my choices down to Whyte M109, new model Trek Top Fuel, Canyon Lux and then I saw a couple of ‘first ride’/ mini reviews for the Orbea Occam TR. Managed to secure a demo ride thru The Bike Shop in Crossgates,Leeds for a full weekend. Did a couple of local rides on very familiar trails and took it for a blast round Sherwood Pines. What can I say, I was blown away, even though the demo weighed in at 26lbs due to a set of heavier wheels I thought the way it handled was fantastic, the obvious advantage of the bigger wheels when rolling over things was apparent straight away and the ability to maintain speed over tracks that would have had my 26er’s stuttering was great. On tight singletrack the handling felt no different to my Ibis Mojo SL and downhill on both fast sweeping descents and tighter narrower stuff it was way in front even with ‘only’ 120mm of travel. What I did notice was that on the loose stuff it tracked way better than anything I had ridden, got to be the advantage of the longer wheelbase.
    So here I am the proud owner of a Orbea Occam TR M-Ltd. Yes it was bloody expensive and no doubt there will those who say I should have bought X or Y but after a ride on Friday I am absolutely thrilled with it. Climbs well, got a bit of front wheel lift on some really steep stuff but easy to stop with a bit of weight shift. I’m 6’1 with a 32″ leg and the large feels spot on. Its got the latest long top tube/short stem geo ,68 degree head angle, with boost front and rear and the spec is the best , XTR, Raceface Next SL, DT Swiss XRC1200 Wheels, and I bet it would be a blast with some 27+ wheels. Weight wise it has come in , with pedals and tubeless Rocket Ron 2.25’s at 23.9lb, its a bit heavier than my Merida 96 (sub 22lb) which I have used at Mayhem etc but I’m certain it will allow me to ride for longer ( and faster).Got a longer ride planned for Sunday.

TheFopster
    Free Member

That looks fab. I’m considering one of these or a 29″ Canyon Spectral, if they are going to do one this year. Enjoy it – should be a hoot.

squealingbrakes
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at the 27.5″ AM version. It seems to tick all the boxes, with a lot of positive reviews, and is a good looking bike. What is the small bump response like?

teamslug
    Free Member

Seems really good squealing, running it quite soft til shock beds in. Cant feel the lack of proper pivot on seat/chain stay. Feels really well put together.

squealingbrakes
    Free Member

Good to hear some real owner feedback. Think I might get myself a test ride.

johnny

Looks great! I’ve not ridden one, but when I was with basquemtb in July, Doug was very positive about his- both from your description and his it seems a lot like my Devinci Atlas- fast all round, agile in the tight stuff. I love the way a sorted 29er picks speed up when you pump through corners!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Looks nice. Clean lines, nearly 6K though?! 😯

z1ppy

Its got the latest long top tube/short stem geo

going from the website, the L is 620 ETT… that a bit short if anything for a large shirely? (mondrake dune being 655, whyte 629 now 645 – in L sizes)
    Looks bang on though, and nothing wrong with the figures TBH, enjoy!

squealingbrakes
    Free Member

Orbea seem to run this system where you order on line, and have it delivered to the local dealer of your choice. If you buy it in Euros (use the french lanuguage version), the website doesn’t let you deliver to the UK. Thought it sounds a bit like the Canyon con. I emailed Obea who said that you can change the delivery address after the order. Problem solved. Potential to save £300-£500 depended on model and exchange rate. Haven’t tried it yet though.

The alternative is a day trip to Calais.

z1ppy

interesting SQ, I have to say I do like the look of the orbea loki (if only they did f/o)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New Bike – Orbea Occam TR’ is closed to new replies.