Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • New bike for a female content…
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

So I have a Cube hard tail .. which I love and a Giant Reign 2 from 2005 which is awesome for DHing but weighs a TON! I recently bought a Trance frame 2nd hand hoping I could move the bits from the Reign over and get a lighter full susser, however turns out frames weigh exactly the same so a bit pointless (even though I know I could swap forks and wheels to make it lighter but point was to minimise spend).

So I’m still considering that I would like a light weight full susser as we are off to Spain in September and Chamonix and Verbier in June. What full susser (frame only) would you recommend? Preferably that I wouldn’t have to buy lots of new parts and I could transfer most stuff from the Reign over?

Thanks in advance. Open to all suggestions on frames, new or second hand. Somewhere around small/15/16″ depending on frame. Doesn’t necessarily have to be women’s specific, Cube is, Giant isn’t not bothered by that. just that it fits and does the job of being ligher.

Cheers hit me with your suggestions 😀

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Fran, that Stumpjumper FSR Pro is what I had before I sold mine at the end of last year, served me very well so I’d recommend it. I swapped the Brain rear shock for a Fox RP23 like that Bikescene example and it was all the better for it, is a good all rounder. Did me proud at Bristol Bikefest in 2010!

🙂

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2007 women’s Specialized Stumpjumper frame (and other bits, including wheels) if you’re interested. email in profile.

Hiya Munquechick

My missus has a Five diva :-

Which she loves, she rode it in NZ when we went on a riding trip, it was light enough for her to ride all day and we did loads of trail riding. But it was also strong enough and blessed with enough travel to be a decent freeride/mini dh bike? She certainly had no issue with it and she still likes riding it. I think she got the longer one of the two sizes and it fits her perfect. I think she is about 5’4″? She has it built up with pikes (coil), xt kit, hope hubs on 32 hole rims and a dually chain guide.

Let us know what you get!

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Munqe-chick – Mrs SilentSparky is looking for a 16″ Trance, have you already sold it on or looking to sell it on?

khani
    Free Member

Nowt to do with bikescene btw, they just look cheeeep!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I think any mid-travel fullsus frame is going to weigh much the same as any other – unless you go for a specific xc racing frame. If you don’t weight much yourself, its going to be an issue, but you can’t avoid needing a similar mass of metal to make a bike frame. I don’t think swapping from a reign to a 5 diva for example, will save much mass.

Rotating weight might be more important – lighter riders are generally lighter on kit, so save you money instead for lighter wheels and componentry.

Or keep riding the burl – it’ll make you stronger in the end!

CheesybeanZ

Mrs beanZ luves her 5, its around 28lbs with talas 140s .

chakaping
    Free Member

The newer trances (and reigns) are really light, and can often be picked up cheap new or s/h.

They also tend to have short-ish TTs, which might be a good thing?

neninja
    Free Member

Pauls Cycles had some Giant Cypher 1 (ladies version of the Trance X which is a lighter frame than the Trance) reduced from £1700 to £999 in a 16″

28lbs – the money saved could buy a decent light wheelset

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s24p2384

Just sell the Trance or Reign parts or cherry pick their best bits and sell the rest. £999 for a Fox forked FS with mostly XT/SLX group is blinding.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Silent spark yes I am mail in profile drop me a line. Will reply more later as just heading out a few good suggestions and thoughts mind so far. Keep em coming

cinnamon_girl

SC Superlight/Juliana? Will take 120mm fork.

Trek Fuel?

cinnamon_girl

M-c – meant to have said that at Swinley today was a trade show and in attendance were Orange, Cube, Giant etc. Loads on display plus road bikes too.

I had a little wander (don’t actually think I was supposed to) and saw the most gorgeous electric bikes in pastel colours. 8) That’s my dotage sorted. 🙄

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Orange five diva here too, not the lightest but by far makes up for it when you point it downwards!

JohnnyPanic

What happened to the Absolut?

jonnyseven

Specialized safire

http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Specialized-Safire-Expert-Frame–Fox-RP23-2664-92-0.html

Wife has one of these and loves it – new it was just over 26lbs, good at everything, did the alps with burlier wheels, tyres, shorter stem. If there’s one thing it needs it’s a different shock to the brain shock on it – rp23 would definitely improve it. Reviews said better at going down than up but that’s probably compared to xc bikes. Best not show her this or we’ll be poorer tonight !!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

MMM neninja .. are you disguised as mr MC posting .. that is EXACTLY what he has just said to me after I told him about your link!!

originally wasn’t planning on spending lots maybe £250 however the more I think about it the more I realise I dont’ really ride the Reign anymore. Done the last 6/7 years od hammering the DH’s in Morzine and now we are moving onto other DH/XC riding so Regin a pig for going uphill. Just weighed it 33/34lbs!!! no wonder! So thought lighter weight full susser… liking thaT Cypher, potentially sell Reign and bits as suggested leaving me not a massive amount of extra cash to find, of which i’m lucky and had lots of OT lately so that’s not an issue. ARGH … .

Think I’m going to phone mate who owns a bike shop on Monday and see what offers he can get otherwise Paul’s Cycles ..here I come!

Nonsense
    Free Member

Have you thought about a small Trek Remedy? They size up quite small, burly enough for the alps but still light. My large Remedy with XT/ Fox float 150mm is just over 28lbs. Will happily take 36’s or Lyrics if you want even more bounce. It’s easily the best riding and most versatile bike I’ve owned.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Nonsense I just looked at the Trek Remedy on their website and I found out it was about 31 lbs!! that’s crazy! I am still thinking about the Cypher but a friend mentioned that giant had massively reduced weight on their bikes but really? Do you think the Cypher could be made lighter if I changed the wheels? They have have WTB laser rims with Formula hubs. Thoughts would be great? I have decided that I want a 5″ travel bike but weighing no more than 28 lbs, 25lbs would be ace if I could however I am very realistic about this. Also I like the price of the Cypher.
    thanks.

dekadanse
    Free Member

I recently saw somewhere, I think it was Rutland Cycles, doing a ridiculously cheap offer on an 09 or 10 female version of the Scott Genius, with something like 60% off! They’re cracking bikes (metaphorically not literally), nice and light and yet with bags of travel. Other than that, I’d agree with Cinnamon Girl – Santa Cruz Juliana. I’ve got an old Superlight and it’s still so much fun on all terrains. Mrs Deka… has a Cube AMS Womens, which looks ever so purdy but still weighs in at pretty much 29lb.

Olly
    Free Member

woah woah woah.
    you wont save any weight by swapping out the frame.
    the reason the giants are the same weight, is the only real difference is the position of the pivots and the length of the levers.
    there wont be much in it for any frame you could buy i dont think

you will be better off, getting another pair of wheels and or forks for your reign IMO.

the number 1 bike improvement anyone can make is tyres, get something light and fast and it will transform any bike.

i rode my Patriot 66 with a 38t ring last friday up afan, with race kings on rather than DH tyres, and it was a rocket.

if you want to spend some more money, wheels are your next buy. and then the fork if its something porky like a zocchi.

as a laaaady, i might gues you are less heavy on your wheels than your average gurt male oaf.
    some light XC rims built properly should last you just as well, and make the bike loads better.

Olly
    Free Member

giant had massively reduced weight on their bikes

“massively” when referring to a frame could be 100g.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Olly I see what you are saying. So Cypher allegedly weighs 28lb so Trek Fuel 5 wsd which is 32 lb …which do you reckon? Go for 09 Giant? Don’t want to spend Juliana money I don’t think…….argh well confused now!!

tonyg2003

MrsG has a 14inch 5 with 140mm Rev’s. Excellent and not too heavy with Stans Crest/Hope ProII. Excellent if you can find one.

jambon
    Free Member

Yeah, the original Trance’s were 7.5 LBS and the original reign’s are 8.5 Lbs. Newer Reigns are at least 2Lbs lighter and have slacker head angles. If you’re not heavy there is no need to have such a heavy bike. The trance x may be a good option, the Maestro design is hard to beat, although on a small frame, the long chain stays do make lifting the front end more difficult. A trance x with 150mm thru axle forks on it would be a whole lot of fun!

neninja
    Free Member

You know you like the Maestro suspension on the Giant so the Cypher would feel familiar like a lightweight Reign.

From what I can tell –
    Stock Formula hubs are 310g and 486g respectively
    WTB Laserdisc Trail – 500g each
    Vs.
    Hope Pro2 Evo hubs – 185g & 310g
    Stans Crest rims – 340g each

So without even taking into account the spoke and nipples a set of Stans Crest/ Pro2 Evo Hope Hoops would save almost 1.5lbs taking the Cypher down to 26.5lbs which is pretty light for a trail bike.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Neninja thanks for that it helps. Think £900 is good value for bits on Giant .. mmmmm

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘New bike for a female content…’ is closed to new replies.