Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • New bike dilemma – thoughts please!
  • lexiekay
    Free Member

I currently have a Lapierre Spicy which I use for most things – xc, trail centres, messing about in the woods, trips to the Alps, uplift days and the odd DH race. I also have an on-one which I use for longer more natural type xc rides.
    But, I’m finding the Spicy a bit too much bike for a lot of my normal riding and am thinking of swapping the on one frame to a Santa Cruz Blur LT. I’ve test ridden one before and really liked it, and it would mean having the extra comfort of full suss on xc rides. I could use most of the parts from my on one so only the frame would need buying.
    What I want to know is, is it worth the extra money? And will it mean that I don’t ride the Spicy enough to make it worth it?
    Opinions please! Thanks 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

will it mean that I don’t ride the Spicy enough to make it worth it?

If you’re using it for Alps trips, uplifts and DH racing then I reckon you’ll still use it.

I sold my 4in and 6in bikes and bought a 5in one (zesty) – but I missed the extra inch of travel and bigger forks a lot more than I expected. I’ve just bought another 6in bike.

If a 5in bike is more useable for your “everyday” riding than a HT or whatever then don’t worry about having two FS bikes that are quite close in function.

Is it worth the extra though? That’s subjective innit. SC bikes are not cheap, esp. frame only.

oldfart

I’m kind of in the same boat .Came back from Whistler with a Spicy which was brilliant for over there .I also had a Kona Four Supreme which i’ve since sold but my H/T is a Cove Hummer .I was toying with the idea of selling the Spicy and getting a Zesty so chaks posting is interesting .Sometimes i think the Spicy is too much after all it weighs 8 lbs more than the Hummer but am pleasantly surprised how overall it works ok back here .

lexiekay
    Free Member

Thanks guys – I’m basically trying to justify it to myself, really don’t want to get rid of the Spicy as I do love it, and its pretty good at climbing really, just feel that something a bit lighter might be good sometimes!

si-wilson
    Free Member

What you want is a Brodie Ti holeshot, nice and slack and long and light.

rs
    Free Member

What you want is a Brodie Ti holeshot, nice and slack and long and light

wonder where he can get one of those?

IA

I think an LT and spicy are too similar to have both. I’ve had several (FS) bikes a few years, and I think the best balance is when there’s less overlap in the “which to ride” stakes. Currently on a trance and a socom (had a prophet and socom, too similar IMO).

Though it does depend where your XC riding is done to some extent (and where your DH is done etc).

chakaping
    Free Member

I was toying with the idea of selling the Spicy and getting a Zesty so chaks posting is interesting

Haha, we could’ve swapped! Drop me an email if you want any more of my thoughts on the Zesty’s shortcomings (as well as it’s brilliance).

Though it does depend where your XC riding is done to some extent (and where your DH is done etc).

This is what it comes down to isn’t it. XC for me is everything from mostly flat local woods to steep rocky lake district technical torture sessions.

My mates who live up there can handle the latter fine on 140mm bikes, but I need a bit more skill compensation.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘New bike dilemma – thoughts please!’ is closed to new replies.