Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 147 total)
  • New ad issue on this site?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just opened STW forum, click on a thread and a window pops up, congratulations you have been selected to trial an iPhone 7. And then you have also qualified for a free iPhone 6s!

I never even got the ad for Maserati 🙁

mikewsmith
    Free Member

tech@singletrackworld.com

Right one this time I think

konabunny
    Free Member

I had that too. Gone now

richinbish
    Free Member

I used to get the dreaded Maserati car ad all of the time , it seems to have done one !!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just happened again ….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Have you mailed the people who can do something about it? Who will probably not be working today – don’t think stw even offers 24/7 support to the p’s

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Is this one of those “we can’t control the scamming ads that pop up on this website” problems again?

preciousmetals
    Free Member

First time poster here about to post a what 29er frame/bike thread (joke) but have these iphone messages appearing multiple times, having cleared history/cache etc whilst using javascript enabled.

Has anyone found a solution so far as appears it opens up an added page in background.

This isn’t the first site I use that suffers these iphone ads. If I wanted an iphone I would have bought one from a legitimate source! Oh wait! I already did!

Stw – yh incoming seeking tech help on this issue.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Big n daft, it’s a Sunday lunchtime, do you know how the ad systems work? You don’t get to vet and check every single one.

DickBarton

Glad this has been posted so we can all agree/disagree about this…fear not though, those that need to be aware are likely to do nothing about it for reasons that don’t appear to get shared with anyone.

For something that is apparently so large these days, I find it amusing that people come on and suggest they don’t monitor the system every day…

It is probably known about, but a fix isn’t possible (yet) so everything will remain quiet…possibly.

The ‘freeloaders’ will become vocal about how poor this is, the people-what-pay will suggest we all pay so we can switch ads off; we’ll then hear from people who do pay but get logged out and then get the ads; the ‘freeloaders’ (who make up the largest portion of page views and therefore advert viewings and therefore the largest chunk of money earned from ads being displayed) will point out that with this kind of experience, it isn’t worth paying for a service that doesn’t sound as though it is any better when paid for…

At some point, people will start going elsewhere and viewing figures will drop…and maybe then it might be accepted that there was an actual problem and apparently ignoring it wasn’t actually the best solution.

Until then, I love these posts, breaks the monotony of all the biking chat. 😉

scaredypants

I miss the Tudor era most

thecaptain
    Free Member

DickBarton, you’re missing the bit where the mods complain about people daring to post complaints about the awful adverts.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do they or just the fact that people seem to think they can fix stuff they cant. I assume somebody has mailed the email for Web problems as is normally suggested. I don’t know how it stw towers is these days but most software/Web support isn’t 24/7 these days unless it’s mission critical or you have heaps of cash to waste.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

The ‘freeloaders’ will become vocal about how poor this is, the people-what-pay will suggest we all pay so we can switch ads off; we’ll then hear from people who do pay but get logged out and then get the ads; the ‘freeloaders’ (who make up the largest portion of page views and therefore advert viewings and therefore the largest chunk of money earned from ads being displayed) will point out that with this kind of experience, it isn’t worth paying for a service that doesn’t sound as though it is any better when paid for…

At some point, people will start going elsewhere and viewing figures will drop to realise that there is an alternative where ads are not visible and that you don’t even have to pay for the service, the business will lose all revenue and the site will eventually close as there’s not really a viable business…and maybe then it might be accepted that there was an actual problem and apparently ignoring it wasn’t actually the best solution.
    Jus’ sayin’.

bearnecessities

I thin

*logged out*

bruneep

Big hitters meeting in the Tudor era

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

pitduck
    Free Member

and round and round and round…repete until funny 😆

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Blimey!
    If that’s the attitude towards other folk using this forum.
    I actually think I might join another more friendly bike forum where they discuss trails etc than just “what bike” or “what watch”

Talk about dull!

It’s very well having mods on here to delete swear words etc but when there are site issues, what then!?
    I also have noticed whilst being a lurker for a while that forum regulars swear and post up sooooo much drivvle that gets left to block up forum space.

No wonder it’s putting off many newcomers.
    For that reason! I’m ouuut!

Cougar

If it’s a redirect, it’s a rogue ad rather than intentional. Content is supplied by a third party, it happens sometimes. It’ll get picked up when the people who are actually paid to work here get into work on Monday, assuming anyone’s actually reported it. Email tech@ as suggested in the second post.

preciousmetals > welcome to the forum and sorry for the inconvenience, it’ll get addressed as soon as practically possible.

FunkyDunc > thanks for the screen grab, I’m sure that’ll help.

thecaptain > bite me. I’ve explained this countless times now, you’re just being deliberately obtuse. The only thing we can do as Moderators is flag it up to tech, something you’re more than capable of doing yourself. Starting another thread serves no purpose other than to antagonise those who are doing what they can to help.

And come on, If anyone seriously expects 24/7 drop-everything support for an issue which affects people using the forum for free, I hope you brought enough to share whatever you’ve been smoking. Mark and co often do check in out-of-hours to try to sort stuff, but if I were them then the first time it became demanded would be the last time I’d be doing it.

pitduck
    Free Member

again?

bruneep

A flounce sooo soon?

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Hello Cougar, yes I have reported to tech@stw address a while earlier.

Just a shame I came from a motorcycle forum today to find similar scam popup but yes it then redirects to the scam site.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

@bruneep, well it’s of course early days but it’s not a good start, hell I must have been unlucky.
    Perhaps if the regulars redeem themselves and confess their sins of abusing stw forum all this time then maybe, just maybe I’ll stick around.

Cougar

It’s very well having mods on here to delete swear words etc but when there are site issues, what then!?

I should perhaps explain. The Moderators are, broadly, (volunteer) content moderators. We can address complaints about people being offensive and suchlike, but we do not have access to the codebase. Therefore, any issues with the site itself – bugs, rogue ads and the like – has to be dealt with by the site developers / owners.

The grumpiness you see on this thread is because it’s been a long-standing bone of contention. The advertising is a necessary evil; ostensibly it funds the forum.

As for “what trail” etc, there are two forum areas here. The ‘bike’ forum is for exactly what you describe, the ‘chat’ forum for everything else. And it quite literally is everything else; whilst a lot of it is banal, there’s a wealth of experience and knowledge on here that I’ve not known since my bulletin board days. Whist any social group has its share of problem children and special snowflakes, people have found support and solace in all manner of difficult circumstances here; there’s a running joke that there’s nothing STW can’t answer but it’s based in truth. I sincerely hope you stick around to find out.

Cougar

if the regulars redeem themselves and confess their sins

Good luck with that. (-:

bearnecessities

..and it’s “Drivel” btw, something you’ll find some of us are professionals in (and grammar pedantry, to make up for other inadequacies)

Welcome, you big flouncy teddy.

*logged out*

dannybgoode

Got to admit though it’s an impressive flounce for a newbie. Some more experienced hands could learn a thing or two.

+1 to everything Cougar said also. Yes the content on any given day is largely bollocks but of a certain quality and when the shit hits the fan folk do step up big time. I know from personal experience.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

but we do not have access to the codebase.

Some say no-one does, and it’s currently roaming free in abandoned tunnels underneath Hebden….completely feral. On a quiet evening you can hear it’s howls as it tries to search it’s contents.

Cougar

“its”

Cougar

(sorry, couldn’t resist after BN’s post)

mrsfry
    Free Member

Chaps. You do know that you bring a lot of these adverts with you when you come back onto this site. They go by what site you have been looking at and what adverts (and how they are implemented) happens on those sites.

Hence me being a good lady chap doesn’t get things popping up and offering me a good time

funkrodent

As someone who works in publishing,it amuses me/makes me grit my teeth, when I see comments from people who can’t find it within their tight little pockets to spend less than a pound a week to be a subscriber, complaining about the service. And these being people who think nothing about dropping 100s (if not 1000s) of quid on bike related kit. If everyone who used the service coughed up what amounts to loose change, none of this would even be necessary. And they’d get a great magazine through the door every month. Fat chance though as we live in the “expect everything for free” world of t’internet. As Joni Mitchell so eloquently put it “you don’t know what you’ve got ’til its gone..”

preciousmetals
    Free Member

If you actually read Cougars reply on this matter, then you’ll realise it gas nothing to do with subscribing or have I missed something obvious.

scotroutes

Subscribing lets you switch off the ads when you are logged on.

Cougar

If you actually read Cougars reply on this matter, then you’ll realise it gas nothing to do with subscribing or have I missed something obvious.

What Funky is getting at I think is, one of the perks of membership is an ad-free experience.

But like I said, this has been a long-running debate.

Drac

Has anyone mentioned Descent World yet? Dick Barton’s standards are slipping.

DickBarton

In all fairness I wasn’t the one mentioning Descent-world…but almost all my other points have already been highlighted…on the first page as well.
    For the record, I was a subscriber…many years ago…I stopped paying as the mag wasn’t doing ‘my’ thing…I still use the site and would be a ‘freeloader’.
    Adverts make money, there are so many here nowadays so many people viewing the site that the money isn’t going to be pence…it makes sense to make sure the adverts work on a site as they can help generate revenue but also, when done well, won’t detract from the experience and will increase more views and therefore revenue.
    When done poorly it does the opposite.
    This site and mag are 15 years old…a fantastic achievement made possible by the hard work of several people…but this is much more than just a hobby for them and they need to ensure nothing detracts from visitor numbers.
    I’m not expecting 24/7 tech support…this is a biking forum but the site runs 24/7 so things need to be in place to support the site during at least day time times (or the busiest periods)…it isn’t a monday-friday only gig.
    I’d happily support this if things got dealt with…I don’t care about getting a mag or access to a premium Web report but I’m not keen on paying a sub when the basic solution is so broken…
    I’ve been here long enough to see the trend as a long-term issue, it has been so for several years…since before the great hack, so this isn’t new and just keeps festering.

All my opinion of course and I’m sure many will be able to argue it out the door…

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

As someone who works in publishing,it amuses me/makes me grit my teeth, when I see comments from people who can’t find it within their tight little pockets to spend less than a pound a week to be a subscriber, complaining about the service. And these being people who think nothing about dropping 100s (if not 1000s) of quid on bike related kit. If everyone who used the service coughed up what amounts to loose change, none of this would even be necessary. And they’d get a great magazine through the door every month. Fat chance though as we live in the “expect everything for free” world of t’internet. As Joni Mitchell so eloquently put it “you don’t know what you’ve got ’til its gone..”

We’ve discussed this, no? Being a P doesn’t guarantee you wont see adverts as you get logged out, then Cougar will post a link to the login form, then someone will mention why should they pay for P when the forum is running on a Soviet era rats nest of code, old timers will mention it’s fine how it is then fall asleep in their favourite chair, mods will be dismissive, Scotsroutes will FTFM etc etc

CountZero

preciousmetals – Member
    Blimey!
    If that’s the attitude towards other folk using this forum.
    I actually think I might join another more friendly bike forum where they discuss trails etc than just “what bike” or “what watch”

Talk about dull!

I also have noticed whilst being a lurker for a while that forum regulars swear and post up sooooo much drivvle that gets left to block up forum space.

No wonder it’s putting off many newcomers.
    For that reason! I’m ouuut!
    Impressive flounce, precious! Is impressed. 😀

As has been pointed out, that’s the province of the ‘bike forum’, this is the ‘chat forum’, where the subject matter very rarely has anything to do with bikes.
    Pretty much everything else, though, much of it very obtuse, but that’s the fun of it. It’s why I’ve been on here since 2003.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 147 total)

The topic ‘New ad issue on this site?’ is closed to new replies.