Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • New 29er wheelset – what rims?
  • tetsujin
    Free Member

Going to order a new 29er wheelset 2moro.

I’m getting hope pro 2 evo hubs but before I take the plunge, what rims?

I’m 6’2 and about 16 stone and mainly just ride trails and general xc style riding (no drop offs etc).

With that in mind I was looking at:

Mavic 719
    Stans arch ex
    Stans flow

Now I’ve left crests out as I think there a bit weak for my weight but what’s your thoughts on what’s best? I’m not running tubeless but with the stans I have the choice in the future but I’m worried about the lack of eyelets on the rims and people say the stans rims are a bit ‘soft’.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Arch ex’s.I have beat 7 shades out of mine for 3 years (old arch’s) and they refuse to die.Admittedly I built them myself and I am awesome!

tetsujin
    Free Member

Haha well I take it the rims are decent enough though and the lack of eyelets arnt a problem?
    And a good choice for a heavy rider who wants a light rim?

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

I wonder what they mean by stans Flow being ‘soft’…

I cleverly managed to use a concrete traffic divider as an emergency stop. The impact bent the fork but the wheel remained true.

So er buy the Flow rim?

I think that the Flow remains one of the lightest out there. It’s also rated for all mountain/down hill.

My tuppence worth.

tetsujin
    Free Member

Surely the arch is lighter than the flow yeah?

I think the flow might be overkill for my riding and talent! 🙂

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

The Arch is lighter than the flow.

I bought the Flow due to my riding talent!

A tendency to go into things, not around them 🙄

tk46hal
    Free Member

I can recommend the Salsa Semi’s.

cruzer
    Free Member

Might be worth checking out the frm bor rims. Ive been running a set for 6 months now and theyve been spot on. There lighter than the stans rims and stronger. Plus there eyeletted so the spokes wont pull through like they do on the stans after a while.

Speak to either daren or john at strada wheels, they import the rims. their be more than happy to help you out and could probably do you a deal on the complete wheelset.

martinxyz
    Free Member

how much do they retail at,cruzer?

c_klein87

I am considering a pair of the FRM wheels as well, I have stans crest, arches and 355 but the build quality isn’t great, but the tubeless compatibility is very good, hopefully they will do an eyeletted version soon!

cruzer
    Free Member

Im not completely sure off the top of my head but there inline with the stans rims. i was lucky a got a set of prototype rims which ive been trying out for strada and theyve been spot on.

If your after a complete wheelset or just the rims then there definately worth a call. Darens one of the best wheel builders in the uk with 10years experience building every combo of rim and hub you can think of. The best bit about the company is theispec a wheelset tailored to your style of riding and buget.

Their numbers 01903 750040.

john_l
    Free Member

Just had Darren build me a pair of FRM rims on Pro2s after testing their FRM/BOR wheelset. Really nice – light & stiff, but a fair bit narrower than Arches or Flows, so not sure how they’d stand up to heavier riding with big tyres ‘n stuff.

Can definitely recommend Strada.

takisawa2

My TN719’s have never needed any attention. And I was just under 17st when I got them. Good bit less now. 🙂
    Shameful boast about weight loss aside, good rims. Very good.

tetsujin
    Free Member

See the more I read the more I worry!

I keep hearing the stand are just a bit more flexy than the mavics.

With me being a heavy rider I can help but wonder if the trade off of weight with the mavics is better for me?

I know the 719 are quite narrow but should I be concerned about the flex?

For what it’s worth both wheelset are the same price, so it’s not like ones a lower cost.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Tets,i had a pair of a319’s built up on a bike and they seem fairly bombproof. For the extra weight.. i reckon you would be more than happy with the strength of them.

719/319..both of these made by the mighty Mavic should see you through everything you throw at them.

Well,more than just about anything else!

bunnerscj
    Free Member

I had the same issue, wanted a pair of 29er SS wheels, 16st kitted.
    Went Pro2 evo and Flows….no regrets at all. The 1.6g saved (Arch / flow) isnt worth the worry.
    Go Flow !

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘New 29er wheelset – what rims?’ is closed to new replies.