Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Neko Mullaly's 29er DH franken-bike
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Somebody give this man a biscuit, sterling work…

Neko Mulally tests a modified 29 inch Scott Gambler

I think there is huge potential for a downhill bike designed from the ground up around 29″ wheels. It could be a great tool for certain tracks, maybe more than you would think.

chiefgrooveguru

Makes you wonder about 29/27.5 doesn’t it? Seems like bar height isn’t a problem for many riders but fitting in that big wheel at the back is a challenge!

chakaping
    Free Member

I do think you get more than half the benefits of 29in with a big front wheel.

Carrying speed on the flat was the main loss I noticed, which isn’t gonna be a huge issue in WC DH!

thepodge
    Free Member

There are some interesting big travel enduro 29ers coming through, it’s only a matter of time before they appear on the dh circuit

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Haven’t the athertons been testing trek 29ers?

Northwind

They already have, Mitch Gruffalo’s had a couple of goes at the worlds on a modified enduro (I don’t think he’s completed a clean world cup run on one though), Aaron Gwin won Sea Otter on one (though, whether that counts is open to debate), Luke Strobel won something in america that looked like it was about 50% proper dh track and 50% kamikaze…

And Intense and Trek have had a go at it in the past, though things have been pretty limited with parts I think- people end up using Manitous, trailbike tyres etc, pretty shonky. Fox have a prototype 29er 40 though and there’s a few proper dh tyres and protos out there too, and #enduro rims got good enough to DH on so it’s all taking away the excuses. Once the parts are decent maybe the bikes can be decent.

So now there’s

and unsurprisingly

Supposedly Rachel Atherton’s been spotted on that one though there’s no pics I’ve seen…

rs
    Free Member

This was the Rachel Atherton 29er pic from Whistler this summer…

chakaping
    Free Member

They’d have to be well-proven as winners before they’d sell in any numbers though, eh?

Northwind

Probably better get the most succesful DH racer in the world to ride one eh 😆

legend
    Free Member

DH is too sexist to allow Rachel to sell bikes.

How much is a dual-ply 29er tyre weighing then?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Does whatever supposed advantage 29 gives over 27.1 outweigh the extra weight of rim and tyre?.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think the answer to that is a firm “maybe”.

Northwind

1250g and 1300g for the Minion 2.5s I have so weirdly that’s lighter than the claimed weight of the 650b Minion 2.5s. They’re folding bead so I guess that saves some weight… I think possibly they have a wee bit less sidewall than my old 26 dualplies but they still totally feel like a DH tyre.

I suppose that’s a G4 or G5 on Rachel’s bike there, can’t really see.

paule
    Free Member

Looks interesting, but been done nearly ten years ago by BCD

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/2087-BCD-Racing-29er-Carbon-Fiber-DH-Bike.html

sharkattack

Looks interesting, but been done nearly ten years ago by BCD

You’re right it was. I can’t imagine why it didn’t catch on….

Rorschach
    Free Member

Bin dun

greyspoke
    Free Member

I am 6 foot, though with only medium length legs, and I get arse-rubber contact on the steep and gnarly on my 120mm travel 29er. I imagine that might be an issue with 29″ wheels for DH, even if you sorted the frame clearance issues.

deviant
    Free Member

This needs to be done by degrees, 29er front with a 650b back end….that’d rock I reckon.

thepodge
    Free Member

greyspoke – I am 6 foot, though with only medium length legs, and I get arse-rubber contact on the steep and gnarly on my 120mm travel 29er. I imagine that might be an issue with 29″ wheels for DH, even if you sorted the frame clearance issues.

I have similar issues at 5.10 but its forced me o ride more central and more over the front which is generally turning out to be more beneficial.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Neko Mullaly's 29er DH franken-bike’ is closed to new replies.