Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • need to change wheel bearings on dt swiss 240 rear hub – tool needed
  • bobgarrod
    Free Member

looks like i need a special tool – a ring nut removal tool.

I’ve put on ad in wanted but has anyone got the correct tool they can lend me ? Obviously postage and beer money paid.

Northwind

You only need the tool for the centremost bearing, which very rarely needs replaced- sure it needs done? All the other ones are blunt instrument jobs.

bobgarrod
    Free Member

I’ve got the others out but the bearing in question is seized solid. Can’t think of a way to bodge it either.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

there is a specific vice-tool which sits inside the ring drive and undoes with leverage from the wheel.

good bike shops should have them.

where are you in the uk?

Ambrose

I have two! Where are you? email me, address is in my profile.

bobgarrod
    Free Member

Ambrose ygm

ndthornton
    Free Member

to remove – old 20mm axle (or similar shaped…..thing) + hammer

to install – some threaded bar + selection of different sized washers and nuts + the old bearings + a spanner

jimw
    Free Member

Ndthornton
    Your advice would lead to a wrecked hub in this case. As stated above, the DT Swiss star ratchet system means the centre bearing can only be removed with the correct tool, which removes a steel’ ring nut’ . This sandwiches the inner bearing between the hub flange and the nut, which the OP knows. You can buy these from ebay for about £20

ndthornton
    Free Member

Ah – Iv never done DT Swiss to be fair

Ambrose

No mail as yet- hearne_ogwen52athotmaildotcom

auldain
    Free Member

I’ve sent you an email today about the hub tool . Can you get back to me as soon as possible. Thanks.

imnotamused
    Free Member

LBS only charges a tenner labour to replace hub bearings. Is diy really worth it in this case?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘need to change wheel bearings on dt swiss 240 rear hub – tool needed’ is closed to new replies.