Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Need help with new CX wheels
  • matthiasg
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m building a new cx based on the Shand Stooshie frameset and need some help with the wheels. They need to be disc brake ready and preferably in black.

Any tips?

oldgit
    Free Member

There are dozens, you must have an idea of hub at least.
    Racing or woodland bimbling?
    AFAIK there aren’t any CX specific rims, we just use road ones.
    Black? CDs are fully anodised. Pretty sure there are disc only road rims available.

On a side note, I#m pleasantly surprised to see hardly any pros on discs. Especially the big Euro teams. Going lightweight TRP cantis and sprints after this season.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Pro 2 Evo’s, 32 holes on Open Pro’s or A23 (if you want wider and tubeless) – good quality spokes and a good wheels builder

RoterStern
    Free Member

If you are racing then I would look at either going tubeless or tubular. So far this season I have punctured in 3 out of 5 races I have take part in. I think I’m going to look at a tubular racing wheelset for race day and then have a look at tubeless for messing around on. One of my friends has been using the Stans thinnest 29er rim tubeless to great effect.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I’m currently using hope pro 2 on Stans Crest 29er rims. I was a bit concerned they might be a bit wide but they work really well.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

A23’s for tubeless or even better Major Tom’s for tubs.

Can recommend http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/

jonba
    Free Member

I went for the latest A23 (with non machined sidewalls) on hope pro 2s.

Justridingalong do good wheels.

For cheaper options you could try superstarcomponents.

pixelmix
    Free Member

I’m currently using hope pro 2 on Stans Crest 29er rims. I was a bit concerned they might be a bit wide but they work really well.

+1. Been running these for a year for racing and commuting with no complaints. Dented one rim when I hit a water bar pretty hard, but that was my poor bunny hopping that caused that one. I’d happily buy another set.

Kinesis now do some CX disc wheels which might be worth a look. I think the guys at Shand run XT 29er wheels on their own Stooshie.

simon1975

My Halo Aerotrack rims are still rock solid after much abuse. They come in many colours as well as black anodised. Very light for their strength although they have no eyelets and I’ve not tried to run them tubeless.

Hope hubs sound like overkill for CX, personally I’d go for something lighter.

simon1975

Double post

BadlyWiredDog

+2 and affordable in Hope Hoops form too.

AlexSimon

A few previous posts put me off Crests for cross as they said they couldn’t get any tyres to fit them. I was unsure whether this meant they couldn’t get them on, or couldn’t get them to seat.

Crest users – what tyres are you successfully running?

I ask, as it’s the cheapest way to get decent hubs as the Hope Hoops run at £265 on CRC at the moment.

pixelmix
    Free Member

I’ve used Maxxis Raze and now Racing Ralphs. A little tight to get on, but nothing you can’t manage with a dab of washing up liquid and some elbow grease. Both sealed up okay with tubeless sealant after lying down flat, shaking etc.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Instead of Crest’s is anyone using the disc/xc specific rim Stans sell? I think it’s called Crow!!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

if you want bulletproof, for me its mavic cxp33 rims all the way. love them.

had some open sports, soft as butter. went with 32spoke (ultegra hubs) cxp and they no bother at all… thats home built and tested at the three peaks, and at the time my weight was top end 15stone. alot of the time riding them offroad above 16st.

got some even older cxp30s that i bought second hand on my first cross bike 6 years ago, 28 spoke rear 28 radial laced front, also had no issues with them offroad when i was using them. now retired on my trainer.

AlexSimon

Adam_Buckland – Member

Instead of Crest’s is anyone using the disc/xc specific rim Stans sell? I think it’s called Crow!!
    Isn’t Crow the tyre, Iron Cross is the rim.

matthiasg
    Free Member

Thanks for the help guys, went for a pair of No Tubes Iron Cross rims and Novatec Superlight hubs from WheelSmith.

AlexSimon

Is that with a few weeks wait?

bails

25mm Conti GP4Seasons on mine (it’s a commuter).

oldgit
    Free Member

Stans tubeless. How do they cope with low CX pressures then. Do they not just burp at 30psi or there abouts?

pixelmix
    Free Member

Stans tubeless. How do they cope with low CX pressures then. Do they not just burp at 30psi or there abouts?

Regularly run at less than 30psi for racing and I’ve yet to burp a tyre, but then I’m relatively light (and my pump’s 30psi may not be the same as yours!)

john_l
    Free Member

Tubeless A23s would be nice.

I’m using Open Pros (XTR rear/Goldtech front) with old Eclipse rim strips & Vittoria XG tubeless tyres. Low pressures are no problem – I did pinch & burp at PORC on Sunday at 25psi, but that’s a fast & hard (ground) course with proper descents. Was out earlier & let air out a couple of times – was surprised to find the digi gauge said 17psi when I got home. It was a bit too soft tbh 🙂

AlexSimon

Any more successful Crest users?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Need help with new CX wheels’ is closed to new replies.