Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Need a new hard drive – any good deals out there?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

HD on one of the PCs has died and I need a replacement. I’d probably go with a [3.5″] SATA drive about 250gb+.
    Had a look at scan.co.uk and dabs so far. Anybody found a good deal recently?

prezet
    Free Member

Ebuyer is normally where I look. But HDD prices have rocketed since the flooding in Thailand as a large number of the warehouses were damaged and stock levels are low – or so I heard.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Hard drive prices have rocketed recently due to the floods in Thailand. I’ll ask Mr Toast, I know he’s been looking at hard drives lately.

EDIT: Prezet beat me to it.

greeble
    Free Member

possibly the worst time to buy a hard disk. due to flooding in east asia production of hard disks are seriously down. what used to be £30ish for a 1tb drive and £50ish for a 2tb drive
    you’re now looking at £120ish minimum for a £2tb drive.

look into getting a ssd for just the os. and a stanadard sata for the rest.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Apparently*, there’s bin extensive flooding in SE Asia which has affected production, so prices are very high atm… 😉

*A little bird told me…

There was a thread about this recently. Seems that the trick might be to but an external drive, then gut it for the drive inside the casing.

All very annoying as I need a new SATA drive myself. Might look in places like Tescos and that.

D0NK

haha hahaha hahahahaha
    Yep defo wrong time, WD have stopped making them for the moment and Scan is limiting to 1 HDD per customer !

Milkie
    Free Member

The Velociraptor drives don’t seem to have increased in price though, still expensive it you don’t need one.

alexxx
    Free Member

buy second hand if you can you can put a laptop drive in your pc if you want doesnt have to be a 3.5″ – I’d scout out on ebay or any geeky mates

cranberry
    Free Member

Some background informationabout the problem.

If you need a drive in a hurry, and have the cash, then an SSD might be a good option.

D0NK

^ that was a wry laugh BTW, I could do with a new hard drive 🙁

sharkbait
    Free Member

Awww booger 🙁
    I did think the prices seemed to be pretty high! As it happend I’ve got a spare 7gb SSD that I can put the OS on and an old small IDE drive that will do for a bit of storage so will do that for now and then buy a bigger SATA when priecs drop again and move the OS onto that.

Milkie
    Free Member

7gb SSD that I can put the OS on…

What OS is that? Win7 is a bitch to distribute over hard disks.

sharkbait
    Free Member

good old XP. Should be able to have the OS only on the SSd and everything else on the IDE – unless someone corrects me!

fubar
    Free Member

I was going to build my own PC until I saw the current disk prices…could buy the whole PC for £90 more than the hard disk so went for that….
    http://www.ebuyer.com/251310-zoostorm-desktop-7873-1036

cranberry
    Free Member
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Need a new hard drive – any good deals out there?’ is closed to new replies.