Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Nearly knocked off twice by same household
  • zokes
    Free Member

On my way to work this morning, cycling through residential streets, I had the fun of nearly being taken off twice by the same household: first by lady driving a green Toyota who tried to pull out of a junction whilst I was turning right into it; second by her partner in a white X-Trail who revved and revved until he could squeeze past to overtake (I may have been slightly vocal towards him at this stage, as it’s not the first time he’s done it).

So, as I know where they live (I cycle past the cars parked on their driveway every day), what are my options?

1) Knock on the door this evening and gently ask them to be a little more awake before they get in their cars of a morning
    2) Post them a note stating the obvious that I know their address and registration, and would have no hesitation in reporting them to the police next time
    3) Gently coerce the air out of their tyres by making the valve cores wander off, with / without the note explaining why
    4) Buy cheap pair of Bombers off ebay…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Knock on door. Take a 6 pack…

Failing that report near miss to police

molgrips
    Free Member

1)

Marmoset
    Free Member

Bypass the shoe stage and just wee through the letterbox?

zokes
    Free Member

Bypass the shoe stage and just wee through the letterbox?

Problem with that is that I’m in Oz so they all have US-style mail boxes, rather than a hole in the door, so I’m worried it won’t be quite as effective as it would have been in the UK

mickolas
    Free Member

mike and mol are nice people!

zokes
    Free Member

General consensus here at work is either 2 or 3, but instead the polite note being to the police

Marmoset
    Free Member

Me too Zokes, damned infuriating isn’t it! Although I do find that the insurance companies are very quick to buy you a new bike when knocked off in circumstances where you have a lot of witnesses..

mrmo
    Free Member

Police, get it on file.

boxelder

Post on here then do nowt

hora
    Free Member

Police. Why are you so calm? I’d be going mental after the revving.

spooky_b329

Unless they are immediate neighbours, just report them to the police.

hora
    Free Member

If you came knocking on my door I’d manipulate matters…think about it. How easy would it be to make you look like the nutter asI picked up the phone to report a disturbance of the peace on two counts and/or road raging/targetting me in my car then at home too?

zokes
    Free Member

I’d be going mental after the revving.

I was too bloody cold to go ape (yes, yes, go on, have a laugh about it being cold in Oz in winter). But I certainly taught him a few commonly used Northern words and hand gestures…

Not immediate neighbours – I reckon I’ll just get plod to deal with it. Mate’s missus is a copper in Adelaide so I might just ask her view before I do.

bratty

Police.

I know of a couple of similar incidents where the police have taken action against people in similar incidents. If not, the next time someone could get knocked off by one of them.

boxfish
    Free Member

Revving engines somehow cause me to lose speed…

patriotpro
    Free Member

boxelder – Member
    Post on here then do nowt

😆

parkesie
    Free Member

Shit in mail box

bigbadbob
    Free Member

Yon know where they live, if you do do something, you might have to change your commute to work…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

5) air your frustration on the internet and in the real world do nothing about it.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Ah, beat me to it boxelder 😉

mudshark
    Free Member

It would be good for the police to have it on record so that if something else happens there is evidence of it not being a one-off – but can you be bothered?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Plod as I doubt directly speaking to them helps

the last time i did ii I explained to a middle aged lady who looked like a lawyer/posh type how she had failed to give way forcing me to brake and use the outside lane and then pulled into this lane [ without indicating] forcing me to avoid her again.
    I asked about giving way and indicating
    She thought for a moment then told me to piss off
    I stood there laughing my head off at the fact she had no defence but would still not back down or apologise. I never ever speak to driver- it serves no purpose.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

If its regular, get video evidence and report to rozzers (but don’t bait them…)

binners

You know where they live? Both have tried to kill you? Both the cars are on the same drive? You ride past on the way home? You need to nip out at lunchtime and get…

😀

d45yth
    Free Member

Be wary of knocking on folks’ door to complain about things. My mate did, the bloke in the house kicked off and tried to crack him…long story short, my mate hit him and the bloke fell awkwardly of his front step. He ended up with a nasty spiral fracture to his leg…my mate got 6 months and wasn’t even allowed to stay in the same village while the case was on going (nearly another 6 months!).

sugdenr
    Free Member

Binner – not that…..this

Just before it’s going to rain. It washes off all traces and they are none the wiser…….except some weeks later their paint will start to fade, and will never stop fading.

project
    Free Member

Get a cheap video camera, and film their antics, then put it up on you tubvbe with the street name as title,people doing a search of where they live will find the video, and if you leave a note at the bottom saying these are going to be your neighbours, and they are ignorant of raod trraffic laws so best to be careful with your kids and old people, perhaps even a leaflet drop with the offenders vid linky

mrmo
    Free Member

report it to the police,

sorry bad driving is never acceptable, make sure you get incident numbers. To be honest i don’t give a **** if it is making more work for the police. If no one complains about crap driving, crap driving will carry on being tolerated. If the police are snowed under by cases of crap driving then maybe they will actually start to do something about it!

Think about the way drivers have to get past cyclists, how often is it safe and how often is it questionable. This is before we get on to other general driver behaviour about mobiles, dangerous parking, speeding etc etc etc.

To make the point a bit clearer, in 2011 636 people were murdered, 1901 were killed on the roads. Most of those road deaths were the result of driver negligence!

cookeaa

Chalk it up to experience and move on, you have to live near these people, banging on their door to confront them or calling in the rozzers might be your first instinct but it could easily turn sour on you.

I mean what are the police actually going to do?
    You have no real evidence of a crime to offer, or any injuries. So a knock on the door and a quiet word could go either way, quiet contrition and a promise to mend their ways or you start them off on a campaign of increasingly worse driving around you, Chinese whispers to your other neighbors, etc…
    I do know someone who managed to upset the “wrong” neighbors and you wouldn’t believe how aggressive and plain scary such people’s tactics can become, especially when they know where you live too…

Give your neighbors the opportunity to learn from this mornings twattery and only resort to any of your above options if they persist… and get a helmet cam…

qwerty
    Free Member

Fill their cars with snails.

mrmo
    Free Member

Give your neighbors the opportunity to learn from this mornings twattery and only resort to any of your above options if they persist

learn what exactly? that dangerous driving is fine?

johnellison
    Free Member

Fill their cars with snails.

Given the OP’s location I would have thought that funnel-web or huntsman spiders would have been preferable. Or a brown snake or two. And no, that isn’t a euphemism…

richmtb

Fill their cars with snails. redbacks

FTFY

I’d probably have a word.

Turn up at their door and apologise profusely for whatever terrible deeds you have done to them. When they ask what you are talking about, say sorry I thought you were trying to kill me for a reason.

Andy

Aside from the obvious paranoid thoughts of why as a family they are trying to kill you yeah whats wrong with a friendly chat – they may not realise what they are doing.

Yesterday other car driver screeched to a halt in front of me whilst overtaking a line of parked cars on his side of the road. We pulled up alongside and we wound down windows. He was obviously expecting verbals by his expression, which changed when I pointed out “just want to point out that’s the entrance to a school just there and its coming up to going home time” “Oh yeah sorry!”.

Nowt wrong with a friendly chat – and if they tell you to **** then police next time IMO

zokes
    Free Member

Yeah, redbacks/snakes means I have to go near them. Bugger that!

Richmtb might just have a winner though!

project
    Free Member

Just got overtaken tonight on the bike, while turning right as the lights changed to allow me to go, the mercedes driver behind swerved round me and also turned right a few seconds faster and i would have ben under his pointless bit of german engineering.

But i know where he works .

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Nearly knocked off twice by same household’ is closed to new replies.