• This topic has 85 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Dave.
Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Nature and sustainability…
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Zulu – its you that don’t get it. Still its nothing new

The simple point I was making as proved by the Langholm study is that if you manage moorland with the intent of increasing biodiversity you can and this produces greater biodiversity than managing it soley for shooting

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

if you manage moorland with the intent of increasing biodiversity you can and this produces greater biodiversity than managing it soley for shooting

But, and its a big, huge capital BUT – in the process of doing so you decrease its value for internationally endangered characteristic moorland non game species

golden plover, curlew, and lapwing populations are lower on moors managed in the way you propose – all of these species have recently declined in geographic range in Britain!

This is a prime example of the Red Squirrel dilemma and you still have not tackled it!

anagallis_arvensis

Did you work for him at Lancaster, or just collaborating with him?

The lady who owned the hay meadows i did my PhD on was his PhD supervisor or something, then a few years later we collaborated on some work, for a bit just before I jacked it in and became a teacher.

The simple point I was making as proved by the Langholm study is that if you manage moorland with the intent of increasing biodiversity you can and this produces greater biodiversity than managing it soley for shooting

which is very true, but managing it for just grouse is much much and many orders of magnitude better than modern agricultural use.

Dave
    Free Member

Curlew and Lapwing are inbye grassland breeders rather than heather moor though. Plover granted are a species that benefits from a managed heater moorland. But, and it’s a big but, where does that leave the Hen Harrier you mentioned originally? How is that doing on moorland managed for shooting?

anagallis_arvensis

Curlew and Lapwing are inbye grassland breeders

suitable inbye grassland for lapwing and curlew are about as rare as hens teeth these days, they do much better in rough grazing.

Dave
    Free Member

Hen Harrers on moorland managed for shooting, the bad news – http://bit.ly/a5f8XO

Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Nature and sustainability…’ is closed to new replies.