Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Mystery creak – Hope Pro II ?
  • shortcut

I have had a bit of a creak that has been irritating me immensely. After much swapping of components, greasing, tightening, refitting etc. I think I have narrowed it down to a Hope Pro II rear hub.

When the wheel was put on an alternate bike the creak went with it.

The question is – the creak only started once I had been riding with the hub for a few weeks, so could it really be the hub?

has anyone else had this problem? if so what was the resolution?

Thanks

SC

roper
    Free Member

Maybe it’s you?

neilb67
    Free Member

Do you have a spare skewer you can try? Or make sure the dropouts are clean.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Andy Watts had this on his Heckler….
    Have a word with him!
    🙂

singlespeedstu

I’ve had more than one creaky/squeeky/**** annoying rear Pro2.

Rickos
    Free Member

Mine creaks as though the spokes are being pulled, more noticeable climbing/under power. Is that the same as your noise? Mine’s getting worse. 😐

bomberman
    Free Member

I thought my rear pro2 might have been squeaking. can you describe the sound a bit more, is it a periodic noise, when you pedal?

easygirl

my mate had same, was dirt between the faces of the qr and dropout, cleaned the area and the sound was gone

knott4me
    Free Member

skewers i would of said for squeaking creaking noise i would say new axle time.

shortcut

It sounds like most transmission / chainset creaks and does it only really under power. No noises when I bounce the suspension or indeed when I pedal gently, so I get it only really on hills or when pushing hard on the flat. I can’t make it creak on a down hill no matter what I do.

Unlikely to be dirty qr / axle etc. as the QR is only about 3 weeks old and the hub is no more than 6 or 8 weeks old. I also keep the bike pretty spotless as PP can no doubt attest. The one i have been running for 3 years is absolutely fine and never been touched!!

As I said, I have changed just about everything including swapping the wheels to eliminate the creak and narrowed it down to the hub.

I hate it when the bike creaks, it is just one of my bugbears.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Had exactly the same thing with mine and I keep my bike pretty spotless too. Clean the dropout and skewer then smear a little grease into the dropout before putting the wheel back in

emac65
    Free Member

Yep mine creaks too,stripped it all down,greased everything & still the same.Thought it may be cassette moving on the freehub as it’s only in higher gears it happens & when it’s under heavy load.Never thought that it might be the QR so I’ll try greasing that too to see if that stops it….. 😉

shortcut

Thanks Captain!

Will give that a go. The LBS has offered to take it apart and re-build the hub for me today so will make sure the QR is covered by doing that bit myself.

Fingers crossed.

Jason
    Free Member

I had an annoying squeak from my rear Hope XC hub, it turned out I had managed to snap the rear axle in two…

Rickos
    Free Member

Cleaned and greased my dropouts this morning before riding into work and it seems to have cured the creaking. Mostly.

Cheers for the tips.

knott4me
    Free Member

the squeeking skewers are even more of a problem on orange bikes especially the 5.

do not go mad with the grease i would suggest a light lube like muc-offs bike spray or a light chain oil.

adrianp7
    Free Member

I had a persistent creaky sound on my road bike, turned out it was coming from the point where the spokes cross. Apparently this point can get dry and rub making a noise – drove me nuts for weeks and I had everything off – even tried to dismantle a Dura Ace hub (where do you get a 14mm Allen key from anyway!).

Anyway some old lag told me to put a little Phil’s oil on each spoke at the nipple, hub and cross point and that sorted it.

Rickos
    Free Member

Well, greasing the drop-out didn’t work in the end. Ride home was just as creaky and it does sound like the spokes are being pulled, so I’ll try the oil on the spokes trick.

shortcut

now fixed. ashamed to say it may well have been the almost new hope qr. also bearing covers greased.

silent now and wonderful.

Andy-W
    Free Member

A mate of mine has a problem like this and last night we took off the cassette and the skewer and when you spun the wheel while holding it in your hands it made the squeak and you also felt a little bit of resistance and what also felt like a grinding feeling from time to time

the hubs is no more that 8 weeks old i think

he is not a happy bunny

Baldysquirt

I had a major creak that I isolated to a bit of movement in the cassette after it had settled into the grooves it had cut in the freehub body. Once I finally managed to get the cassette off, I tightened the whole thing back up and the creak has gone. Back to an XT cassette, I think.

Andy-W
    Free Member

Bugga mine is like it aswel 🙁

Andy-W
    Free Member

Cheers Baldy but the squeak i was talking about is even when the cassette and skewer is of the hub

Just setting off for a balst in the peaks to see if that will sort it out 8)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Mystery creak – Hope Pro II ?’ is closed to new replies.