Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • My son's primary school is run by idiots…..
  • crispedwheel
    Free Member

So OP, any change of heart from your assertion in the thread title that the school ‘is run by idiots’? Or that the teachers ‘want an easy start to the year’?

duckman

As a teacher, I could tell you the reasons why the school has started your kids on a part time basis, but your posts suggest you know better,so no point. I will just suggest that you are an arse and if you transplant your obvious contempt of the education system and what you see as your entitlements from it on to your kids, then I pity the teacher who has them in their class. You are an arse and…..etc.

RichPenny
    Free Member

A solid jab…a swift straight right… a HUGE left cross.

AND THE OP IS DOWN!!!!!!!!!

Can he recover???

*fight to recommence at 0800 after the OP has had his toast*

armchairbiker

So here’s my pennies worth…. flame me if you want. But I’ll still sleep well tonight.

1. I think MoreCashThanDash has made a valid point on the start of school for his child on the two week’s point. It was a handful of 1/2 days for my children, only a few years ago. However the wording may of been better worded.

2. MoreCashThanDash is getting unfair ribbing for his user name and some stereotypical comments going out. I don’t know him, but if he’s really that more cash, he’d be going private. Trust me, I’m looking closely to pull mine out of state school because me & my wife (and my children) are not happy with a number of different things .

3. There’s a huge variation of schools and quality of teachers out there. Some, frankly in the private sector wouldn’t get past the front door – others I have the utmost respect for. E.g. For the junior school my children went to the new head turned up with a new personalised number plate X5, then sets about trying to encourage them to walk to school. Funnily enough she couldn’t get to school in the snow. A few other things too and you get the gist.

4. As next week is the last week of “teaching” for most schools – how many of you will have your children come home and say they watched videos all day? I experienced that last year and was not impressed.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

3. There’s a huge variation of schools and quality of teachers out there. Some, frankly in the private sector wouldn’t get past the front door – others I have the utmost respect for. E.g. For the junior school my children went to the new head turned up with a new personalised number plate X5, then sets about trying to encourage them to walk to school. Funnily enough she couldn’t get to school in the snow. A few other things too and you get the gist.

You give the headteacher driving to school as an example of the “quality of teachers” ? ……how does that work then ? 😕

And btw, I expect children to attend their local junior school. However I do not expect teachers/headteachers to teach in their local school – why would they ffs ? It seems therefore perfectly feasible to me that many, if not the majority of urban children, should be able to work to school. I suspect that only in very rare cases is it feasible for teachers to walk to their workplaces.

Kevevs
    Free Member

haha. life’s a **** bitch no sh*t. isn’t the above stuff just normal life crap that people get on with? interesting mumsnetstw..

M6TTF
    Free Member

Our lad had 2 and a half weeks of mornings or afternoons, his seemed to be the only school locally that had this amount. To be honest it was a right pain covering the difference. Thank god for granparents

wwaswas

I do pity the staff and head when someone who thinks that children spending a couple of weeks with 15 kids (albeit half days) so the teacher can do proper assessments of each childs development (and thus ensure that they develop a plan for that child which is appropriate to their development and prior learning) whilst introducing them to school in a controlled manner is a waste of time becomes a school governor.

bullheart
    Free Member

I do pity the staff and head when someone who thinks that children spending a couple of weeks with 15 kids (albeit half days) so the teacher can do proper assessments of each childs development (and thus ensure that they develop a plan for that child which is appropriate to their development and prior learning) whilst introducing them to school in a controlled manner is a waste of time becomes a school governor.

I’ve had several of these types in my time as a teacher. They’re usually the same folk as those who, after you’ve excluded their offspring for something serious, walk in to school with all guns blazing demanding to know what you or your staff have done to make their precious defenceless little one react that way

Clowns.

nickf
    Free Member

Surprise surprise, OP makes a point and gets shot down in flames. Welcome to STW.

bullheart
    Free Member

Surprise surprise, OP makes a point[b]comes on here whining about everyday issues, blames the wrong people because he hasn’t thought it through, then gives it billy big-balls about how he’s effected change through intellectual superiority and then[/b] gets shot down in flames. Welcome to STW.

FTFY

EDIT: Come to think of it, he’s the average STWer! 😀

wwaswas

OP makes a point

My son’s primary school is run by idiots

I think the point is that that the OP hasn’t bothered to find out why the school works this way and has assumed it’s so the reception class teachers get a gentle start to the new school year.

Posting;

Why is my son only doing half days for the first fortnight?

Might have gained a less critical response?

maxray
    Free Member

armchairbiker, you were doing ok until point 3 🙂 That just showed you to be a bit silly 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

I agree with everyone who has posted on this thread..
    Wholeheartedly..
    and I would fight to the death to have their ideas implemented in our local primary school..

that is all..

duckman

Bullheart, you are a wee bit too smart for a drillie 😀

philconsequence
    Free Member

my sister is an idiot, so the following information is most likely completely wrong. i’m in no way interested in checking out if this is remotely true as i dont have kids, and i dont own a school… more importantly its friday so screw you hippies.

doesnt a child have some kinda legal right to a full time education?

*backs quietly out of the thread’*

(as i said, she’s an idiot.. but when she was told her kids had to do half days she started a mini twitter campaign amongst local parents and as a result no more half days i’ve been told)

convert

(as i said, she’s an idiot.. but when she was told her kids had to do half days she started a mini twitter campaign amongst local parents and as a result no more half days i’ve been told)

Lord, I’m so glad I’m secondary not primary. By the time they get to me the parents have had a chance to stop giving a ****, mellowed a bit and maybe learnt that they don’t automatically know what is best for everything to do with their offspring just because it fell from between their legs.

Helios
    Free Member

they don’t automatically know best about everything to do with their offspring just because it fell from between their legs.

convert wins the coffee/keyboard interface award for most salient point made with comedy effect…

duckman

It’s like this for all the purveyors of urban myths on here; hard as it is to get your heads round. A school has a duty to educate you child a certain number of days a term (key err…term there)Some very clever people get together and decide when those will be, based on the needs of pupils and schools. Schools do not add days to term just because somebody starts a twitter campaign,that would mean they have to cut the days elsewhere.So please stop prattling about how you did this and that,and a school had to do what you wanted.Some of the posters above actually crow about it,is that your attitude?
    One last wee q,then I am off on holiday. I take it nobody going on about the half days would ever take a kid on holiday during term time?

Look on these half days as a warm up to next winters strikes.

bullheart
    Free Member

Bullheart, you are a wee bit too smart for a drillie

Just faking it… 😉

wwaswas

philconsequence – your sister is right but as has been pointed out elsewhere, this only applies after a child has reached the age of 5. The vast majority of children starting school have yet to reach this age.

joao3v16
    Free Member

we expected her to have a couple of half days before doing a full day, so we’ve planned some leave from work so we can work round it … last night, at the new starters parents night, we were informed that the half days thing will run for two whole weeks

Some might argue that you’re the idiots for making plans based on an assumption that turned out to be incorrect …

😈

But I do agree, 2 weeks to get used to going to a new school = ridiculous & unnecessary …

bullheart
    Free Member

But I do agree, 2 weeks to get used to going to a new school = ridiculous & unnecessary …

For the record, so do I.

wwaswas

to get used to going to a new school

It’s partly that but mostly it allows the teachers to spend 1 to 1 time with each child and establish a relationship and do an assesment of them.

By splitting the class it allows the teaching assistent (which all reception classes have) to manage the rest of the pupils whilst the teacher is doing this.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

it allows the teachers to spend 1 to 1 time with each child and establish a relationship and do an assesment of them.

That sounds like the sort of nonsense they do in private schools. If MoreCashThanDash had wanted that I’m sure he would have paid for his kid’s education.

ocrider

philconsequence – your sister is right but as has been pointed out elsewhere, this only applies after a child has reached the age of 5. The vast majority of children starting school have yet to reach this age.

Meanwhile, on the continent…..
    My youngest starts school in September and we have been told that for the first few days it would be better for her to come home for lunch to allow her to adjust.

She is 3 years old.

joao3v16
    Free Member

It’s partly that but mostly it allows the teachers to spend 1 to 1 time with each child and establish a relationship and do an assesment of them

yeh, that’s what my sons school said… but that’s just posh waffle for “we must spend two weeks delicately tip-toeing around your precious bundles of joy, generally namby-pambying around the poor ickle darlings otherwise they absolutely definitely will be traumatised for the rest of eternity and grow up to be axe-murdering psychopaths.”

followed up by “now, please can someone come and help me wrap these children in cotton wool”

molgrips
    Free Member

Whoah, some right b*stards on this thread! Glad you lot are not in charge!

Junkyard
    Free Member

“posh waffle” – you should get that published as you seem to be on to something here that these highly trained educational professionals have not realised…after all you have children what do they know about education that you dont eh.
    It is terrible when people are concerned and try and help your children settle in and adapt to change in a positive way. Like you I wish they would just not care and just throw them in the deep end and see if they can swim …can I just say it must be PC gone mad as I feel it is time we discussed this in this context

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why aren’t the children tending looms or up chimneys? What do they need education for anyway?

wwaswas

tending looms or up chimneys

surely you need to drop the ‘or’ 😉

anagallis_arvensis

so i strode up to HM told him every school day was preciuos and that my kid would be there all day.. and she was..

gosh you sound soooo tough I think I am in love

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes lefty liberals eh limiting our kids free choice to work two jobs at aged 5 🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Kids ability/level of development varies dramatically between individuals when they first start school, hopefully a responsible school will ensure that they’ll all progress at a simular rate. Just as an example, 40% of children in London schools speak English as a second language, this will have serious implications for their reading ability. Plenty of other issues have to be considered – personal ability, home environment, etc. Without a pro-active attempt to identify issues, kids can and do fall behind. Whilst others might be held back.

vinnyeh

an ex-gf taught reception for quite a few years in a school where that term’s starters did a half day.
    A lot of them could barely stay awake in the afternoon when they moved to a full day.

Mind, that was an inner London primary with kids that understood just about every language except English.
    It’s probably a lot different in middle England.

The wee dears start school too young anyway imo- our oldest will be 6 and a bit when she starts, and will probably be the better for it. Just means we made a different set of compromises in life to morecash..

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘My son's primary school is run by idiots…..’ is closed to new replies.