Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • My slowest but most enjoyable Swinley ride ever! LOCT test ride..
  • hughjayteens
    Free Member

Wifey was away this weekend so Daddy Dat Care kicked in and clearly it had to involve a bike ride!
    Recently bought a LOCT child seat from the classifieds so installed it on my Bronson and headed off to Swinley with the offspring (9,7 and 3). The older two love it there and have done a few laps of the blue in the past (pushing up a couple of the climbs) and my wife did a lap with the little un on her Wee Ride seat previously, but was a bit nervous on some of the faster bits.

Ready to go..

Quick stop to call Bananaman..

Chasing the older two

The kids did brilliantly – we completed a lap of the blue in an hour and they managed to get up all of the climbs this time, even the short horrible one that most people seem to push up before Blue 9. The youngest loved the new seat and although was a little nervous when we first started off, was soon shouting ‘faster’ and whooping as we came down the fun parts. It’s so nice to be able to share this with them and I can’t wait for the day when they start overtaking me!

ikimbunza
    Free Member

That’s ace. Always good to hear about kids getting out on more adventurous rides!!

I’ve got a LOCT seat for sale if anyone is interested? 😉

Gotama
    Free Member

Ikimbunza, yes please, will mail you if address in profile.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

The LOCT is fantastic – much better than the Wee-Ride my wife had on her bike.

Gotama
    Free Member

^^^ that’s what I wanted to hear given that we’ve got a weeride and I detest the thing with the knee out pedalling style.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

This is much better for that. My wife ended up at the docs with bad hips when we first got the wee-ride as she had to have the saddle low enough to touch the floor, but this exaggerated the knees out pedalling much more. Fitting a reverb helped a lot but it’s still a big heavy lump compared with the LOCT. Wish I’d had one years ago.

igm

We’ve had one for years.

Second child now coming to the end of the realistic size range, but not before I managed to take him down the Chavannes red DH in Les Gets – while he shouted “roar, roar, Griffindor” at the top of his voice. No I don’t understand it either, but I don’t have to, it was a happy noise.

His older brother loved it when he used to go on it too.

Awesome pieces of kit and the best dad and child bonding tool ever.

And now we move it on to one of my wife’s colleagues who is looking forward to a) having her first child and b) not giving up mountain biking.

ikimbunza
    Free Member

I do think its such as shame that the LOCT didn’t get a better response from the market. Anyone know anything more about where the company is with production etc?

igm

I spoke to them at the time and back then Julia hadn’t heard of Glentress or the 7Stanes so my suspicion is that a great product didn’t really understand its market.
    I mean for a seat at £150 that doesn’t look as safe to your average Joe you need to go where people ride £2k full suss bikes and think nothing of dropping that sort of money on a brake.
    They should have had test models available at Glentress or Dalby or Sherwood – but they didn’t.

Wookster

Can I just say I love the Bannana telephone in the second pic!!

Jason
    Free Member

I think they gave up due to the production costs being so high. I am not sure if they still make to order? A great product, we had one for a couple of years and got many many miles and smiles out of it – eventually sold to some one off here. AFAIK the people behind it did have an mtb background, although Surrey Hills rather than Scotland, it was certainly aimed at proper mountain biking and full suspension bikes.

jam-bo

http://www.mac-ride.com/

isnt far off an updated LOCT seat.

however, I backed it via kickstarter and was expecting to see it last november. at the current rate of progress/update I’ll be pleasantly suprised if I see it this november…

igm

Jason – the man behind it certainly does ride. My point was not about Scotland or anywhere else particularly except that they needed to make connections and show product in places where riders of expensive bikes congregate.
    We used to get lots of couples (normally the female half thereof) wandering up to ask about it in the Alps.
    As I understand it the production costs issue wasn’t helped by buying all the parts from separate suppliers (in different batch sizes) and self assembling. That was done to try and prevent copies.

Still a great product and part of many happy memories.

infidel
    Free Member

Hughjayteens – told you it’s awesome!! Glad the seat has a good new home!

stuey
    Free Member

Yep LOCT /Wee rides are great – but wait until your daughter realizes she can grab a handful of front brake – for that extra adrenaline rush. 🙂

igm

And gears stuey

bruk

Looks like a great day out Hughjayteens. Love the grin in the 3rd piccie.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Wookster – Member
    Can I just say I love the Bannana telephone in the second pic!!

LOL – It did make me smile too. She doesn’t like bananas but did seem to like making calls on it!

infidel – Member
    Hughjayteens – told you it’s awesome!! Glad the seat has a good new home!

It’s great – although she’s almost 3 1/2 she’s very dinky so I think we’ll get a good year’s use out of it. She has a balance bike which she’s a whizz on, but is still probably 3 or 4 inches away from being able to ride her hand-me-down CNOC16, even though I trimmed the seat tube down for her brother who rode it on his 3rd birthday.

bruk – Member

Looks like a great day out Hughjayteens. Love the grin in the 3rd piccie.

I wish I had had a GoPro on the bars looking back at her face on the downhills as she was making some brilliant whoops!

jamj1974

Looks like a wonderful day!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nicely matched top/tights enduro colorway, doodette!

😉

pitduck
    Free Member

😀

Gunz
    Free Member

Having looked at the banana phone picture I’m now imagining a great automatic feeding system for my next endurance race, wonder if the Wife would mind.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Nicely matched top/tights enduro colorway, doodette!

yes she was ‘stoked’ with her outfit choice.

Gunz – Member
    Having looked at the banana phone picture I’m now imagining a great automatic feeding system for my next endurance race, wonder if the Wife would mind.

Pat. Pending!

bradyvictor551
    Free Member

It’s really good see that riding with kids and family

matt_outandabout

Kids on bikes rock.

igm

Until they get better than you. I will be a proud dad, I will be a proud dad, I will be a proud dad… Oh who am I kidding, I won’t even be the best cyclist in our house anymore.

timmys

Thread resurrection alert….

Am I right in thinking a LOCT will take a larger child than a Weeride? My boy still loves his Weeride but he’s looking a bit snug in it.

Has anyone received a Mac Ride yet? Any feedback on how it compares to a LOCT?

Finally – please consider this a stealth Wanted ad for a LOCT 🙂

jam-bo

Has anyone received a Mac Ride yet?

hahahahhahahahhahhahaha

ha.

in theory at the end of april. i’m not banking on it…

timmys

hahahahhahahahhahhahaha

Balls.

Seems like there’s sod all available at the moment in this style of seat.

I’ve had an ebay alert set up for LOCT’s for months and finally one popped up yesterday. Dude wants £240 + £15 postage 🙄

jam-bo

http://www.mac-ride.com/

try ordering one. you’ll probably get one sooner than me…

edit: just checked. delivery of mine was initially due Dec 2014

natrix
    Free Member

If you’ve got children and you live in the Swinley area, there is a great childrens race at the Gorrick Torq 12:12 August Bank Holiday saturday. 😀

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘My slowest but most enjoyable Swinley ride ever! LOCT test ride..’ is closed to new replies.