Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • My sincerest apologies – what european sat nav for the car?
  • geoffj

I like Garmin stuff and so am edging towards the Nuvi 250W, but I know a lot of folk swear by TomToms – what say you lot?

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I have a 255WT, so the European sat nav with traffic. I bought it over the TomTom for three reasons:
    1. It had Eastern Europe as standard (I go there sometimes). I believe this was extra on the TomTom
    2. I read a couple of poor reviews of the TomTom traffic map
    3. I have a Garmin outdoor GPS

First unit was DOA (sorted by Amazon), maps seem OK, fast to start up compared to my old unit, windscreen clamp is the best I’ve seen. I like it, but I’m sure the TomTom is just as good.

Paul

geoffj

Cheers Paul – I’m going to hit the buy right now!

retro83
    Free Member

A TomTom One 1gb got me all round France & SPain with no issues (aside from occasionally thinking I was driving along in the field next to the road!)

geoffj

Reburbished one bought from Amazon for £88 – bargain tastic!
    edit: 250w for 88, not 255wt

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Bargain indeed. Make sure you update the firmware and maps when you get it. You’ll need a mini-USB cable. The one from my BlackBerry fits nicely.

I think I paid around £150 less than a year ago.

Paul

hot_fiat

TomTom’s are great from a software and end-user point of view, but their customer service is astonishingly bad and the hardware is shoddy.

When my RiderII dies, which I fully expect to do at some point in the not too distant future, I’ll be getting a Garmin.

loddrik
    Free Member

Had a tomtom one and garmin nuvi, the tomtom is way better than the garmin, now sold the garmin as if just did not compare on usability, tomtom all the way…

FuzzyWuzzy

Have a 3 year old TomTom 1 Europe and it’s worked fine the couple of times I’ve used it abroad. That said I’ll probably going to ditch it and get a Garmin Nuvi instead pretty soon.

rickmeister

Garmin Zumo 550 on my motorbike. Must be a waterproof version of another one of their models. All good despite being out, literally, in all weathers. It also comes with the gubbins to mount in a car…

PePPeR

I have a Tom Tom 1 version 3 for europe its great, just don’t let your server drop whilst doing the map guarantee when you first start it up because so far they’ve been flimping useless at helping me get the maps updated!

So the machines ok but so far the customer service has been sh1t!

Hairychested
    Free Member

My brother drives from Ireland to Germany and Poland a lot – TomTom.
    My mate runs a parcel delivery company – UK to Poland, Germany, Italy – TomTom.
    Maps are downloadable from the web if you know how. Besides, you can have Ozzy Osbourne giving you directions.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Tomtom one.

I have my own, with Euromaps on, which IS great, as well as a newer type one for work, which has a better mount, but isn’t ran off a memory card like my older one.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Tomtom used to have the best user interface by a country mile, but others have caught up now. The free online update application for Tomtom is pretty neat.

I don’t like the way Tomtom have changed speed cameras from a simple overlay to an annual subscription service though.

http://www.ebuyer.com have some cheap satnavs

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘My sincerest apologies – what european sat nav for the car?’ is closed to new replies.