Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • My new front tyre just blows me away!
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

Well, I was just putting some pressure in to seat the bead using my track pump. Notubes Crest, Syncros 2.5 tyre, 2.5 cups of tyre milk. Got to about 50 psi and BANG! The bead shot off one side, decorating my cellar with tiny droplets of goo! The bang was so loud my ears were ringing. My wife was sitting in the room above and it made her jump. The tyre bead hit my fingers as it flew off and they still feel a bit numb at the tips.

I put an extra layer of rim tape on and went up to 40 max. I’ve never had one go like that before…

yossarian
    Free Member

Badger badger badger badger

kevin1911

You’re not the first and I doubt you’ll be the last 🙂

Are the Crests like the Flows with a maximum recommended pressure of 38psi? Seems that in this case it’s really not just the manufacturers being conservative.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

BADGER!

derp
    Free Member
    DezB
    Free Member

Did exactly the same a few weeks back with a Hutchinson tyre. Luckily had no goo in it cos was pumping it p in the lounge. Certainly made the dog shiver as i was holding the tyre above her bed! I hate bangs and fell on the sofa, partially deafened! Could just about hear my son saying “are you alright?”! damn loud

tazzymtb

why do folks feel the need to put stupid pressures in a stans set up and then post in amazement that it blown off the rim? Read the bloomin guidance that stans produce, follow the instructions and there are no issues 🙄

BadlyWiredDog

🙄

Deveron53
    Free Member

I’m glad to be the test pilot, there’s a lesson there, and a warning!

matt_outandabout

Gimme a ‘B’

snaps
    Free Member
    iamhimsoiam
    Free Member

The trouble is that tyre pressure is down to rider weight. Someone who is 10 stone isn’t going to need the pressure of someone who is 16 stone.

DezB
    Free Member

why do folks feel the need to put stupid pressures in a stans set up
    Mine wasn’t a Stans – it was Mavic UST. I thought the tyre had a puncture so was pumping it up hard to see if it leaked. How else do you find a UST puncture?!

br
    Free Member

and 2.5 cups ?

I barely put 1 in.

Deveron53
    Free Member

high volume tyres and how else will I use the quart before it goes off?

P20

Don’t think the Crest is really designed for 2.5 tyres to be honest. I did have a similar experience with the 355 and a hi-roller and too much pressure when setting up. I had tp clean the conservatory after that one. Plenty of fairy liquid, less pressure and patience will work.

**Dont think crests are warrantied for tyres above 2.35 either**

njee20
    Free Member

Tyre too wide and too hard. You had that coming.

thehustler
    Free Member

Tried to put my semi off road tyres on road rims 120psi into a 70psi tyre makes an interesting noise

Deveron53
    Free Member

Don’t think the Crest is really designed for 2.5 tyres to be honest. I did have a similar experience with the 355 and a hi-roller and too much pressure when setting up. I had tp clean the conservatory after that one. Plenty of fairy liquid, less pressure and patience will work.

**Dont think crests are warrantied for tyres above 2.35 either**

Been using 2.5s on Crests for a long while without any problems. Behave well down to 20psi. I’ve been a narrow rim addict since the Bontrager MA40s but will get some Flows eventually when funds allow.
    And as for warranty on rims, erm, has anyone ever tried to claim? How would you prove it? I only ever tacoed a rim once and that was poor tensioning on my part.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘My new front tyre just blows me away!’ is closed to new replies.