• This topic has 43 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by 4rob.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • My new Dialled Bikes Alpine MkII
  • Radioman

I spent last night in the shed until 2am!! I had to stop then as i was getting tired and didnt want to risk bodging it! Unfortunately I didn't get time to build the new bike in the week.

Thanks Mike for the speedy service. I'm looking forward to a first run at Chicksands on the Alpine tomorrow. I was going to do Swinley but theres a race there tomorrow. The bike feels great & i'm exited. Bike has nice angles and sizing (great standover)plus sensible full length cables..so none of those useless cable stops that fill with mud!

Vortexracing

Very nice, I love mine.

What size did you get?

Radioman

Cheers. Its a 16" I'm 5ft 7 and a bit! so wouldnt want bigger. I also have a Cove Handjob(15 1/2") so most the bits for this build came of that.

Swayndo
    Free Member

I miss my Mk1 17/22. Maybe I should buy a Mk2?

bialled_dikes
    Free Member

saddles pointing too 'nose down' but apart from that looks nice.

rs
    Free Member

nice but i want to see a green one

allthepies
    Free Member

The race tomorrow is at Crowthorne, not Swinley (yes I know they link up 🙂 )

dertmerchant
    Free Member

nice but i want to see a green one

I'll stick some pics of mine up when i get round to it, awesomw bike

Looking forward to seeing how people are speccing/building their Alpines up.

Sent out over 30 pre-ordered frames 2 weeks ago and this is only the second one I've seen so far.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Is that the new red colour?

It looks very nice.

I'm actually a little gutted that my 17" PA fits me perfectly otherwise I would consider a new frame.

Although I still haven't managed to get anywhere near the PA's limit yet.

Radioman

Thanks for comments. I agree that saddle looks slightly nose down but I like to drop it right down for jumping & tech stuff. As i'll need to pedal uphill on this bike and sit on it on the flat too when im tired, i have the top of the saddle horizontal..I dont want crushed nuts! I run my DH bike with nose up as i push that uphill. I dont think i'll be changing that.

Forks are Pike coil 426 that I had "pushed" recently and are great. The bar is a wide blackspire DH with a 50mm hope stem. I have two 10mm spacers below the stem at the moment as I like the front end high. Rims are 519 tubless with pro 2 hubs & Fat Albert UST tyres. Gears & cranks are XT. The brakes are the new Hope M4 tech with 183mm floating disks. I dont think i'll be using a chain roller ..

Radioman

Cheers yes its Red. The red is really a Burgundy metallic.

Radioman

you might be right about the saddle from the look of it bialled-dikes … i didnt really check that properly, as the seat post came off my Cove.. anyway i can sort that tomorrow on its test run..Cheers

heihei

Looking nice Tim – how does it ride? Was out this morning around the Surrey Hills on the 5-Spot and it was definately hardtail weather! Cracking fun sliding around everywhere though!

HeiHei, Head for the Hills have a green Alpine demo bike if you fancy taking one for a spin on the Surrey Hills.

ash

green

amazing amazing bikes, alpines are

Where you get to ride your Alpine is even more amazing!

rs
    Free Member

That looks awesome in green!

BillOddie

Mike/Ash, is that an EBB on that Alpine?

juiced
    Free Member

love that green!

chakaping
    Free Member

Looks nice. Is it a replacement for your HJ then?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Alpines are amazing, but make sure you take it to some proper downhill tracks or the Alps, I think there a bit wasted just doing xc rides and the like (which is why my mate is currently using mine and Ive got a Cotic instead)

Mine was awesome in the Alps, only thing that I could fault with it is perhaps the BB is a touch to high, but thats it.

Radioman

Hi back again. Yes it is a replacement for the Cove HJ which is sadly hanging in the shed. I enjoyed the Alpine a lot at Chicksands. The first run it got was down the dual track. I was apprehensive at first as I haven't done the Chicky dual on a HT before, but the faster I went the better it got. I also gave it a good go on the 4x track and the few small shore bits there, & new "bull run" but i missed out the big 15ft gap jump at the end!!(dont do that on my full sus either)… Had a great day there yesterday & didnt even need to wash the bike!

The Alpine angles seem very sorted. All I did was adjust the headset & saddle. One great thing is that you can drop the saddle very low & the frame has massive standover clearance… useful on shore/gnarly bits or if you slip off the pedals.

From an XC point of view I tried it up the steep climbs and I found it much easier than my Cove HJ. I think that is because the Pike forks were a bit long for that and slackened it a bit too much. To me the extra weight isnt a big issue. I wouldnt mind having it on all my XC rides too, as we often stop off a jump spots when we ride, and session them.
    I dont think it would be wasted though I agree this frame has much bigger limits than my riding will test. I like that though, and that gives me confidence.
    On the downhill it also feels much more stable than the Cove. Im not sure why. Maybe the wheelbase which I think is a bit longer does that. Anyway I do look forward to whizzing it round singletrack too! At £380 for the frame I think it is a bargain. Its a well finished fun bike.

Im sure a dialled PA would have been fine for me in strength terms, i'm sure, but I prefer longer travel forks and dont want to "chopper" things. Also to be honest I like the look of this frame( a bit like an Evil frame), and its low standover given my height also appeals!

forge197
    Free Member

I already have an Alpine but I do like that green

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

I have absolutely no need to replace the lovely purple number I picked up for a ridiculously good price a little while ago but I do so like that green number Ash has posted 🙂

Radioman

i do like the green too.. white would be nice if they made it. It'll definitely be joining me on my adventures. I look forward to the Alpine in the Scottish Highlands next summer…

soobalias
    Free Member

only got mobile pics atm.
    still needing finishing touches.

FB-ATB

Damn! MkII Alpines being built up & I haven't got my MkI finished. Perhaps it's time I got a job to fund it!

CountZero

Nice looking bike, like the innertube chainstay protector; got that on my Inbred 567.

soobalias
    Free Member

innertube – its the future of everything except keeping air in tyres.

my inline post is in my FS
    stem, bars, wheels for upgrade when funds allow
    brake hoses need a tweak
    then grips, shifters and saddle…..

and it will be done.

Bumhands
    Free Member

Speaking of Dialled Bikes (this may be old news) but the new site looks great.

http://www.dialledbikes.com/

Glad people are liking the green as the new Prince Alberts will also be that colour (and orange again).

BillOddie – good spot, yes, Ash has an EBB Alpine, but it's not a production frame.

scruff
    Free Member

I love the angles of my Mk1 but wish I had the longer TT version, if anyone wants to swap for my 17/22 grey one …

jimmy

May as well add my praise for the Alpine. Great great bike, so much fun.

When did you say the Ti Alpines are coming out, Mike…? 😉

redx

Mike,

Any idea how much it would cost to get a PA or an Alpine converted to an EBB?

Cheers,

Alex

JCornford

I love the look of the burgundy red Alpine, now do I really need another bike, how can I justify it?

Vortexracing

how can I justify it

i justified mine by having a sopare set of wheels and a fork.

but i was assured by the good men off STW that just having a dustcap spare was more then enough 🙂

Jimmy – a Ti version is a nice idea, but not much chance of it ever happening. I'm over the whole Ti thing.

redx – you'd need to speak to a frame builder. I imagine not cheap as it would be a fairly major bit of work to swap out the BB shells. Would probably be cheaper to buy a custom frame to the same geometry.

James – new cruisers will also be that red colour, so no need to buy an Alpine, just sell off the Supercross cruiser and go Dialled Bikes for the 2010 season 😉

JCornford

I haven't really got a bike anymore that I can just go for a ride on, blitz the singletrack etc, my bikes have all got too specific.

Giant Road bike (never gets used but I keep it cos one day I might do a triathlon.
    Super Cross cruiser, great but only really on the track (must take it to the trails in the new year).
    Ti Dialled BMX, will be great on the track when I get around to using it and on the trails.
    Yeti 4X, replaced the big rig with this and is a lot of fun on the dh and dirt jumps.
    Keewee 24" hardtail, handmade one of only 11, great fun to ride but only been ridden twice, but I just don't seem to be able to part with it, as it's such a special edition and great to ride, it just never gets used.

James, what are you doing on Sunday? Some of us might be hitting up Rd2 of the PORC 4X series if you're interested. Ideal for your KeeWee!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘My new Dialled Bikes Alpine MkII’ is closed to new replies.