Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • My new built steel racing racer
  • oldgit
    Free Member

For racing on from March. Not fully finished, needs a new stem as I found this one to be cracked. Need carbon pads and the serrated washer to fit between frame and caliper. Finally a short run before cutting and crimping cables.

DT78
    Free Member

Very nice. What wheels are those?

1-shed
    Free Member

That is mint.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Nice – more pics and spec.

lunge

That’s bloody lovely that is, really nice.

oldgit
    Free Member

DT78 they’re Lightweight Standard Generation 2 tubulars.

Spec is;
    Genesis Volare 853
    Early SRAM Force groupset. Standard 53/39
    Deda Superlegero post, Deda Serviza Corsa bar and stem. Flite saddle.
    Wheels Lightweights with Veloflex carbon tubulars.
    (second set for wet, P-SLR1 scandium tubeless with 25c Challenge Forte’s)
    That’s it.

john_l
    Free Member

That’s really nice. Well done.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Lovely that. I’d be a bit nervous racing those wheels though!

jonba
    Free Member

You’re going to race that? Looks too nice, you must be brave.

oldgit
    Free Member

Yep that’s the race bike. I’ve got a race on March 8th that races on road and farm tracks, that I’m doing on my old Defy. But I am using normal wheels for wet weather racing.

And it’ll never go on a Sunday ride or club run, just racing.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

That’s mint. Not a lot of builds suit Lightweights but they look spot on there. Would look better with a classic Flite though IMO.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Why wouldn’t you use it in on a Sunday ride or club run? If you plan to race it’s much better to ride the bike all the time, albeit not with race wheels in.

tang
    Free Member

Lovely, steel tubes and deeper carbon rims look the business! Hope it brings you some good racing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dont rogan josh , just dont. There is no telling.

oldgit
    Free Member

Why wouldn’t you use it in on a Sunday ride or club run? If you plan to race it’s much better to ride the bike all the time, albeit not with race wheels in.

It’s just me. I train on a nice bike, but a heavier slacker one. My old logic says if I can keep u in training with kids half my age on their best bikes, then come race day I’ll feel the benefit. Plus I like to keep my good kit in A1 condition so it’s faultless in racing.

Thanks tang, it’ll be interesting. Heavy frame and sub 1100g wheels

mrblobby
    Free Member

Same here, train on a different bike. Fit is identical though. Nice to keep the race bike ready to go.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

njee20
    Free Member

That looks great!

bob_summers

Nice! Same deal here, 1900g steel frame and 950g wheels (in race trim). Got some heavier wheels for training but only the one bike, not counting a fixie for really foul weather.

Kuco

Nice.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I don’t need to see things like this! I haven’t even raced my Kinesis Aithein yet but I’ve always been tempted by a Genesis!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Mucho niceo thato 😀

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup… Love it.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

lovely that, them frames were a bargain

MussEd
    Free Member

neilm
    Free Member

What is the overall weight?

I have an 853 Rourke that I built up with carbon Mizuno forks, sub 1500g hand made wheels, Force22 and USE seatpost, stem bars. All up it has come in at 8.2kgs, which I am pretty pleased about.

I don’t race, I just built for summer riding and sportives.

simondbarnes

Sweet!

oldgit
    Free Member

not sure neilm, guessing late 7’s. Actually interested in finding out now.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Nice, was wondering what you would end up with, I eventually got my new steel frame built up (Chesini in columbus spirit) was surprised how stiff it was compared to my pegoretti (also oversized spirit) be interested to hear what you make of it compared to your plastic bikes.

oldgit
    Free Member

Sadly I won’t be getting to ride it anytime too soon. Fingers crossed though.

benji
    Free Member

That’s a very pretty bicycle, you have my full seal of approval, I know you are relieved about this, but one caveat please don’t bend it in a crash.

oldgit
    Free Member

The wheels go to bed with me, only part joking. Here’s to safe racing.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Ooohhh I loike that I doo.

oldgit
    Free Member

Fitted with it’s early season shoes, all ready for my first road race of 2015. It’s not going to be nice, might even DNF due to missing over two months and the additional weight that I gained.

bob_summers

Did you weigh it yet? Looks better with the ali rims and gumwalls IMO! Good looking frame.

oldgit
    Free Member

Not yet, it feels heavy. Though swapping over to the Lightweights with Carbon tubs really drops the weight.
    Guess? I reckon about 7.6 with the lightweights and about 8 with the scandium standard wheels.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Good luck Oldgit, let us know how you get on. Def prefer the Lightweights!

TiRed

Which race? LVRC?

oldgit
    Free Member

Yes. The Baines Racing RR over Towcester way.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘My new built steel racing racer’ is closed to new replies.