Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • My new bike iz Sarcin. (Deeply, deeply uncool content)
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There’s no outsize wheels in either width or diameter, it’s made of (SHOCK-HORROR) metal, not soot & plastic, and held together with an arcane, outdated welding method that makes it heavier. It’s not got hub gears, it’s not got hugely wide, nearly flat bars, lots of travel and I didn’t even buy a lot of it new, including the frame (Thanks to Leku) Nothing shouts loud of GNARR or expense, nothing is tapered (Thank GOD!) press-fit or oversize, and worst of all, it really iz Sarcin, innit blud, the most uncool name you could possibly think of on STW

OK. I swapped my C456 for this, so no giggling at the back please, I’m the sensitive sort.
    Go on then, have a laff 🙄

IMG_1460 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

IMG_1471 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

IMG_1457 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

IMG_1451 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

IMG_1473 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

IMG_1454 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

wrecker
    Free Member

I like it. Very nice. Too clean though.

sv

Very nice, wont the Inbred be sad 🙂

andrewh
    Free Member

Bit too much panel-gap between the cupboard doors.

cinnamon_girl

Nice work that man! Gorgeous colour too – resprayed or original?

geoffj

That much seat post showing in an 853 frame – I hope you’re a racing snake 😯

PiknMix
    Free Member

screw the name, that’s lovely!

shermer75
    Free Member

Nice looking bike!

Leku
    Free Member

Almost as lovely as when I had it.

Top build. Enjoy…

qwerty
    Free Member

Much betterer than a fake plastic bike as it’s steel so must be real. Thumbs up.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

CG – That’s straight out of the factory like that. It appears to be a chrome frame, with paint over the chrome, masked off to reveal shinyness in strategic places

Too clean though.

Some of it has been used: Frame I bought used, wheels and brakes are getting on for 2 years old, seat post about 5 years old, used bars, secondhand tyres.

The best bit is I’ve added it all up and the whole bike has cost me £1190 over the years, including brand new forks and group set, Mavic/DT Swiss 240 wheels and Magura Louise carbons. The full bike was £2600 new, for a similar spec, with maybe slightly better forks.
    To change from my C456, again including all those new bits, it’s cost me £130.

WackoAK
    Free Member

Looks very nice, any reason for swapping the C456 for this or did you just fancy a change?

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Meh, it’s a bike. I’m more concerned about the windowsill getting a bit cluttered.

theflatboy
    Free Member

The nozzle of the washing-up liquid will get blocked if you insist on leaving the cap open.

cookeaa

UR BIKE IZ….. Very nice.

Saracen are on the up these days it’ll soon be like the the 00’s never happened, mark my words… the kidz will soon be badmouthing somebody else’s bicycles. the real question is who?

MrAgreeable

versus

No, can’t tell the difference. 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That much seat post showing in an 853 frame

It’s exactly the same amount as shows on my 5.5 year old 853 Inbred, and there’s roughly 145mm of post inside the frame, which takes it to roughly the top of the cable stop for the front mech. The seat tube is IDENTICAL in length to my 16in Inbred. This is 14mm shorter so I just fitted a layback post. It feels perfect, but I’ve not been out for a ride yet, only up and down the road

Almost as lovely as when I had it.

Top build. Enjoy…

Cheers mate, it’s GORGEOUS! 🙂

BoardinBob

Saracen are on the up these days

Indeed. The new Team Myst is lovely.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

LOL @ Mr A. Still got your Dawes SS? 😀

any reason for swapping the C456

Yes. But I’m not going into that now. 🙂

nigelb001
    Free Member

Last Saracen I had was in 1994. This almost makes me want another one.

LoCo
    Free Member

Nice, needs an RCT3 damper and some tuning on the fork 😉

The stem, seems rather high 😉

1″ 1/8 is retro cool now you know, like the Albert Classic.

It’s gone through uncool to retro cool I reckon, I can see in a few years getting all misty eyed and saying how I can remeber when bikes were made of steel and had 26″ wheels 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Nice. very nice.

Now, you make a big point of saying it hasnt got big wheels, loads of travel, wide bars etc. all that trendy stuff… but I notice it has got a 1×10 drivetrain, so ha! trendy boy. 🙂

(dammit. it’s 2×10 isn’t it?)

eyerideit
    Free Member

Nice, like the smooth welds and the cable stops. It’s 853 so what’s not to like?

Looks like a great build, quality components in fact I can’t find anything to be hating on and I’ve tried.

😉

Being ultra picky I’d say there’s no long to align with the valve on the front tyre and that’s all I got.

MrAgreeable

Still got your Dawes SS?

Damn straight. In fact I recently doubled its value by fitting a new freewheel.

eyerideit
    Free Member

but I notice it has got a 1×10 drivetrain, so ha! trendy boy

*Ahem front mech alert!*

LoCo
    Free Member

yes you loose points for 2 X 10 😉

can’t belive no one has come up with an issue with the kitchen or utensils yet 😯

kayak23

Nice big bottle of Fairy, but now it’s getting low it starts to become tiresome waiting for it to flow. My tip is to replace the cap as mentioned above, and use an empty glass to keep it upside down in leaning against the wall.
    Very quick to dispense then and you use all thats left in the bottle.

Bike is gorgeous, but obviously, steerer is too long, as is the stem. Lovely apart from that though.

gribble
    Free Member

Looks the nuts. Don’t go in for too much modern nonsense myself, if the bits you have work, would not bust a gut to change them.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nice, needs an RCT3 damper and some tuning on the fork

The stem, seems rather high

What I DO need is a crown lockout lever to match this rather lovely pulley it has now.

IMG_1468 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

I hate remote lock outs. I’ll email you.
    I knew someone would comment on the stem or steerer. I don’t like or need a low front end. It might be adjusted but I WILL NOT be cutting the steerer any shorter. That’s at 195mm now and that’s where it’s staying.

Here’s a breakdown if anyone is interested

Saracen Kili Flyer, headset, seat QR £150 (Used)
    RS Revelation RLC £295 (NEW)
    Magura Louise Carbon £125 (Used)
    DT Swiss 240/ Mavic 717 wheels £180 (All brand new bar the rear hub)
    Maxxis Larsen Tyres £25 (Used)
    SPD M520 £15 (NEW)
    SLX Shifters £16 (NEW)
    XT Cassette £40 (NEW)
    XT M786 rear Mech £63 (NEW)
    XT F.Mech, chain, XT chainset £173 (NEW)
    Control Tech Seatpost £30 (NEW but 5 years old now)
    Control Tech Stem £36 (NEW)
    SDG Saddle £26 (Used)
    Bars £FREE for a favour
    Superstar Grips £12 (NEW)
    Cables £4 (NEW)

TOTAL – £1190

LoCo
    Free Member

Nice big bottle of Fairy, but now it’s getting low it starts to become tiresome waiting for it to flow. My tip is to replace the cap as mentioned above, and use an empty glass to keep it upside down in leaning against the wall.
    Very quick to dispense then and you use all thats left in the bottle.

phew was starting to get worried STW was broken

I’m sure there’s a rule for stem height 😉 I was being ironic ish
    Am currently running about 3 spacers ontop of my stem with steerer at 225mm albeit on a ‘gate’ sized frame

We’ve got the crown top kits for those.

snakebite
    Free Member

Got this coming this week-cant wait!!!!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Damn straight. In fact I recently doubled its value by fitting a new freewheel.

LOL! Excellent! 😀

Leku
    Free Member

When I had it…

[/url]
    IMG_0458 by 100%of thetime60%ofthetime, on Flickr[/img]

Now..

[/url]
    IMG_0801 by 100%of thetime60%ofthetime, on Flickr[/img]

saracens rock.

DezB
    Free Member

Did someone just post a funny sized wheel bike on PP’s nice semi-retro bicycle thread? 🙁

khani
    Free Member

Very nice 😀 it looks lovely, in fact I’m drooling at the sight of it..
    Not the bike, it’s nice.. but the cake on the windowsill looks scrummy…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

650B Zen isn’t it.? Niiice 🙂

chainslapp
    Free Member

Pete, I remember like it was yesterday when you posted pics of your blue 456 in front of your fire in the living room. Different part of the house, but the first thing it made me think of when I saw the pics above. 🙄

brooess
    Free Member

You’ll not get to the sink if you leave your bike there

Otherwise, very nice…

Leku
    Free Member

26″ wheels.
    Just small frame..

Kryton57

Nice! Clean/neat looking HT’s and a utility FS is where its at IMO.

One thing, your frame savers need turning around (pic 2) and what are you doing with a RED washing up brush?! Heaven’s above! 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘My new bike iz Sarcin. (Deeply, deeply uncool content)’ is closed to new replies.