Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • my first saddle: Charge Ladle or Charge Spoon?
  • miaowing_kat
    Free Member

My current (donated) saddle is rather uncomfy and wondering what I should replace it with.. question is, I'm not sure whether to go for a charge ladle or charge spoon.

I got my 'specialized saddle fit' – and was surprised to be told I have narrow 'sit bones', so I'm wondering whether it's worth getting the wider female version of the saddle – I have no idea how much shorter/wider it is than the spoon. (I have not tried either saddle as I'm too scared to just go up and ask strangers if I can sit on their bike!)

most of my riding is trail centre stuff – enough sitting that my saddle needs to be comfortable but as I roll a lot of the steeper stuff I need to get off the back of the bike quite quickly.. am worried the slightly wider ladle might get in the way of this

would there be much difference in comfort if I just got the spoon? my bum and associated bones are not really hurting at all – it's the uhm.. sensitive lady bits that are getting a bit raw and unpleasant, without wishing to paint too grotesque a picture!!

..or am I barking up the wrong tree and should I be looking for a saddle that has a hole scooped out the middle of it?

advice very much appreciated 😳

tails
    Free Member

How about ladle his eyes out!

😯

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

I did consider such torture methods, but would that actually kill him?

..not an angry/twisted person, honest.. 😈

tails
    Free Member

No your probably right, i reckon 'shot him in the face with a tank' would work

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Order saddles from somewhere like Wiggle which has a good 'non damaged' returnable policy. Otherwise, like many cyclists, you will end up with a shed full of expensive and almost unused but unridable saddles!

DrP

Don't those saddles with a hole in the middle whistle when you go fast…. 😉

(God I'm childish!!)

DrP

Ogg

Try a specialized XC windie my S/O had similar problems and she hates my charge spoon, got the specialized one and has no problems now.

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

Luckily, I'm not going to have any whistling problem; 'cause I don't go fast anyway 🙂
    hmmm, I might try wiggle with that then. It might just be the misleading picture but that specialized windie looks absolutely massive! However, if nothing else works, who knows?

theotherjonv

where are you? I ask because I have a Charge Knife in the garage being unused currently (will be going on my FS once winter is over). It's basically the same shape as a Spoon but a slimmed down variant – Ti railed, lower profile, as opposed to any shape differences. You'd be welcome to have it on a 'long term' loan basis – a few weeks at least – if you want to try it and see whether that helps you out. Better if you're local to me to avoid postage but will happily post it to you if you want.

Alternatively – buy a Spoon and if you don't like it after a few rides and if no significant damage / wear I'll buy it off you for what you paid (as I'm shortly to be buying another myself anyway to go on my other bike as I'm a recent convert from WTB)

singlespeedstu

Mrs explosion uses the Spoon on all her bikes.

Her sensitive lady bits are fine. 😯

clareymorris

As a fellow lay-dee I would recommend actually going for a specialized saddle in your width. I have a ladle, and it is fine for a couple of hourse, but my Specialized jetts (I have two) in my width (wide!) are infinitely more comfortable.

Maybe try this (good price at JEJames)

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/specialized-bg-sonoma-item113206.html

or this

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/specialized-windie-xc-item113201.html

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

hmmmmm. it would help if I could accurately remember my sit bone width… but I think I was recommended a saddle width of 135mm-143mm, which suggests the spoon would fit okay..

theotherjohnv: thank you very much for your kind offer – I unfortunately live in Dundee (an impressive 8+ hours away). Think I'm gonna take the chance and buy the spoon – but I wouldn't wait around for me to try it out unless you're thinking more than a month ahead!

theotherjonv

no rush, happy with my WTB's but prefer the Spoon now. Of course, there are enough Spooners on here anyway that you'll always find a willing buyer if it doesn't suit.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘my first saddle: Charge Ladle or Charge Spoon?’ is closed to new replies.