Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • MTB Tour de Scotland.
  • Mackem

Planning on taking my mountain bike around the highlands and Islands of Scotland next summer. Not touring, but driving from place to place and getting some riding in. So, what are the "must do" rides and what other things can be done (like Whiskey tasting). Cheers.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What sort of riding?

For me – Laggan wolftrax gives a different experience to other trail centres I have been to, natural riding out into the mountains is good, ( beina ghlo circuit etc) speyside way for easy riding with distilleries all around.

Mackem

XC – prefer natural to trail centres, a bit of wild camping somewhere would be nice too.

geoffj

There are lots of knowledgeable people on here, but for the natural stuff, this covers some decent ground.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

if you can make it up just north of inverness on a thursday, come out on our shop ride, and we'll show you the best trails around strathpeffer

crash_gav
    Free Member

The (Skye) Sligachan to Camasunary trail is hardcore XC (probably best on full sus) but what a run if done their and back on a nice day. Skyewalkers hostel (Portnalong) just along the road from the Talisker Distillery at Carbost is nice and approx 16 quid a night. There is plenty of wild camping around and a mountain bothy at Camasunary if you want to the carry in. You can travel in from Broadford by b road and come over the hill on a landy track if carrying but I would not recommend panniers from Slig.

Torridon area, Coulags to Torridon then back by Coulin Pass to Achnashellach. There is also a great route that takes you into Coire Lair but again probably best on full sus. Again lots of wild camping around, also bothy at Craig.

Are you talking hard tail or full sus, as it will make all the difference to route selection?

Mackem

Hardtail (Orange P7) – can hardly wait for June.

crash_gav
    Free Member

Strathpeffer-Contin has lots of knarly routy trails that are really good as Cullen-Bay says, also Inverness has routes that can be combined with a social night or two. Aviemore has a number of options including a descent of the Lairg Ghru that is a must.

Cairngorm has Lochnagar, Glen Tilt etc (a number of better local sources on site than me for that area) but the 456 loved it.

Looking to get away from it all you have an Arkle loop that has lots of wild camping and a bit of hike a bike. Also a round Gairloch loop from Loch Maree and back by Tollie path (pub stop on that one :D). If the weather is bad you have the man made stuff as a back up BUT I suggest that you look at the weather a week before and pick an area that looks good as there are many routes that you can do in all the areas around but you will enjoy it much more in descent weather.

You will not have a problem finding a route to do as they are everywhere, we tend to look at a map and just go for it.

13thfloormonk

I think you need to spend an evening with the search button, there have been too many quality threads on the subject to condense them all here.

However, just to blow my own trumpet and give you some ideas, these are two trips i've taken up north (although no further than the cairngorms)

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/blair-atholl-to-ft-william-via-aviemore-with-idiot-glen-tilt-night-ride-content

http://www.chargebikes.com/projects/project/files/Ian_Ezzi/

Maybe search for "Kenny Wilson", any thread with his name in it is probably a discussion on highland trails, there was one a while back with some pictures of a bealach above Glen Affric which looked spectacular, but i couldn't find it on search. On that note, his book is a great way to start planning, as it features some spectacular natural trails, all over scotland, which can all be linked together with some crafty OS work.

Edit: Ignore all of that, I just noticed you said you weren't touring.

nbt

I've not read the book recommended above but have ridden with Phil the author and can say he knows his stuff – on that basis the book is worth a punt. If you fancy a trail centre day then I can recommend GOlspie above all the other trail centres, it's a cracking ride.

allyharp

Wow the ride on the Charge site looks amazing 13fm!

I also noticed you trawled through the "path" leading up to Leanacach Bothy rather than going over the hill. I did the same in the opposite direction once. Bloody regret that choice!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘MTB Tour de Scotland.’ is closed to new replies.