Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Mtb Shoes In the washer?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

anyone done this? trying to get rid of the damp/must smell, and also try to get them looking a bit better etc before selling….

is this possible, or will it a)wreck the shoes or b)wreck the machine 😆

wwaswas

a) possibly
    b) possibly

tbh, once shoes have that smell it’ll come back every time they get a bit damp pretty much regardless of what you do to wash them 🙁

MarkN
    Free Member

when stuff gets a smell I rinse in a Detol solution. Seems to work okay for me.

Not sure I would put hard sole shoes in the washing machine SWMBO would not be best impressed.

SiB
    Free Member

Washed mine for first time a fortnight ago and as wwasw said the hum does return slowly but it is considerably better for a while! Shoes in a tied up pillow case in the washer, job done

Going to leave bicarb of soda capsule in them overnight in future to see if that helps.

lipseal
    Free Member

Yep once smelly always smelly, but I do put mine in the dishwasher now and then. I don’t use any detergent but the 60deg water tends to freshen them up.

D0NK

I’d probably remove the cleats if I was you.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Is this the Spesh ones you were selling the other day with the split this and cracked that? If so I wouldn’t put them in the washing machine I don’t think they would survive..

fangin
    Free Member

I wrap my shoes in muddy bike jerseys and put them through in the wash together. They whumpf around inside a bit, but they don’t seem to cause damage. A capful of dettol seems to get rid of the smell in both the shoes and synthetic clothes – though they smell of dettol instead for a wash or two.

nedrapier

Did my AM40s in the machine last night. detergent, 30 degrees. didn’t want to go higher as I’ve seen trainer uppers come out looking worse for wear after higher heat.

They’re clean and don’t smell (for now) and the wasshing machine worked fine on the pants and socks wash afterwards.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

KINGTUT – Member

Is this the Spesh ones you were selling the other day with the split this and cracked that? If so I wouldn’t put them in the washing machine I don’t think they would survive..

😆 hardly split this, cracked that – its merely 2 pieces of small plasitc, that dont really do a great deal (have been like that for a year and not affected me wearing them at all)…..

anyways, yeah it is, just wanted to freshen them up, guess ill do it hand, there isnt alot of cushioning etc inside for them to soak up smell etc, so i can only assume its the innersoles…..anyone with sworks shoes will know that they are the bare minimum (in a good way) with materials used etc, ill give the inner soles a good wash first…

oink
    Free Member

i wash them on cold and stick them in a pillow case (keeps them together and stops them bashing around/laces getting tangled), not sure if it helps but i’ve always washed rope this way

c9tln
    Free Member

put them in a pillow case and turn the spin down.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I was so muddy after my CX commute home from work across the Quantocks this morning I just hosed the bike and myself down shoes and all (wife gets a bit funny if I leave too much mud in the bath). 😉

lipseal
    Free Member

oink, what’s with the rope washing? 😆

RobHilton
    Free Member

Allegedly sticking smelly shoes in the freezer will kill the bacteria that make them pong.

Never tried it though, my freezer’s too full of curry.

cp

Dishwasher???!!

I’ve always put my bike (and running when they need it, and trainers etc…) in the washing machine. Just bung them straight in the machine, on a relatively short cycle. plenty of washing liquid and jobs a good un. Best done on a warm sunny day so they can be left to dry quickly, or put on a radiator to dry – otherwise they’ll smell again from taking a while to dry.

It’s a noisy process, but it’s not done any damage to either machine nor shoes in years of doing this.

take the insoles out and put them in loose with the shoes for max cleaning and drying effect.

nedrapier

This would be a good excuse for someone to post that video of the washing machine shaking itself to death after a brick’s lobbed in halfway through the spin cycle…

oink
    Free Member

lipseal, climbing rope – after a few climbs in wet weather or gritty/sandy locations the rope needs cleaning – this is the easiest way

lipseal
    Free Member

Yes cp the dishwasher, they just sit in the tray getting a good wash without **** up your washing machine.

oink my imagination was running wild I’ve been watching Dexter again. 😉

iain1775
    Free Member

Always done it
    Never had any issues

DrRSwank
    Free Member

You can get proper bags for this kind of thing to stop your washing machine dying. Horse tack shops sell them as horsey types like to wash all manner of nonsense without getting horse hair everywhere.

They’re nothing more than a thick pillow case with a zip mind.

Dettol and Biological powder will help. High temps may just mong the shoes.

But – you could always just put up with it. Smelling like a mouldy tramp is what makes us men……

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Mtb Shoes In the washer?’ is closed to new replies.