Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • MTB mechs and Road shifters – do they work together ok?
  • ikimbunza
    Free Member

Hope this isn't a stupid question!

Building a tourer at the moment and have some old mtb mechs and a pair of 2004 Ultegra shifter / brake levers. Are these going to work together ok, or will it all end in a mess?

Thanks

Chris

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

it will work assuming the shifters and mech have the same number of index gears (ie 9 speed)

actually what i mean is the shifters and the cassette

bassspine
    Free Member

MTB front mechs don't always work very well with road shifters, depends on the chainring spacing

firestarter
    Free Member

i ran my 9 speed tiagra shifters with xt mechs and cassette no problems at all on my cx

clubber
    Free Member

Ditto the first two postes

ikimbunza
    Free Member

How quick was that! Great stuff, thanks everyone.

Back to the shed…

firestarter
    Free Member

in fact thinking about it i actually ran a road front mech but it was xt rear . didnt try mtb on the front as i only ran a double and had a front that fitted

geoffj

The front mech can be problematic, but iirc there is a bodge, which I'm sure someone will be along to remind us of in a minute.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i think the bodge is to do with routing the cable to the other side of the clamp bolt

antigee

use ultrega with an xt front mech and a triple (No MTFU round here) not perfect and not sure if would do again needs regular adjustment as is right at limits of movement

one problem is that you may have no tension adjustment

(or not on the STI's i have – though i did see think it was a 105 set on a mates new road bike that had some tension adjument thingies built into the cable just above the levers)

[bodge] – took the tension adjuster off on old canti brake and placed where the front cable housing ends at top of seat tube [/tastic]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘MTB mechs and Road shifters – do they work together ok?’ is closed to new replies.