Home Forums Bike Forum MTB Jacket

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • MTB Jacket
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Recommendations please for ‘colder months’ jacket to be used as final third layer (base, tee, jacket) biking Autumn through to Spring

Criteria:

Breathable and wicking

Doesn’t have to be waterproof, but OK if is

Wont make me look like a plank (pretty impossible but worth a try)

Not too bikey looking – ie no rear pockets and the like

Provide a degree of warmth

Stand up to a crash

Fire away – thanks

scandal42
    Free Member

I like the look of the Altura Mayhem but can’t remember if it has a rear pocket.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I have the Altura Mayhem. Well, I did but destroyed it in a big off at Antur Stiniog in the spring. I’ve just ordered another one today so that probably says something. It does have a back zipped pocket mind (I use it all the time). A mate has the black/red version and I’d say that doesn’t look too bikey. Its a nice compromise between cost/quality as its thick enough (I find a lot of them are really flimsy & thin), nicely lined and actually quite breathable. Obviously it wont be as good as a £250 goretex job but I’d be gutted if I had a fall and tore that! Has stood up to the worst North Wales & the Yorkshire Dales has thrown at it.

Painey
    Free Member

Get one of the Gore windproof ones from the gore store. Don’t know which ones don’t have the pockets on the back but also intrigued as to why you don’t want them. More importantly, they come with a lifetime replacement warranty should you wreck it in a crash.

fathomer

If you happen to be a small, this is a bargain. I have one, paid a bit more than that but it’s a lovely jacket and looks non bikey.

funkrodent

Perhaps worth having a gander at Decathlon? They do a quite technical one (waterproof, breathable, lightweight, has thumb loops!) that retails at £60. Mate has one and rates it, link below:

Decathlon Jacket

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies

The Altura Mayhem looks OK, apart from all that neck and hood stuff going on

The Gore’s are quite slim fitting and bikey

Anyone using a Madison Telegraphe?

oldejeans
    Free Member

@ fathomer – thanks. any bad points? how’s it wearing?

bearnecessities

Hmm, again @ fathomer – don’t suppose you know how true that sizing is? Waist wise I’m ok for a small, but 39″ chest – is it a snug fit or forgiving? Thanks :-)

EDIT: Scrap that, it’s tailored fit so no chance probably!

Tracey

The Royal Matrix ones on CRC are quite good with 35% off

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/royal-matrix-jacket-2015/rp-prod127312

orena45

Just ordered this[/url] DHB jacket from Wiggle (36% off) which sounds pretty good.

Only mediums left though, and has a hood.

highlandman
    Free Member

Keela Saxon. Tough, light, cheap and cheerful. Not overtly bikey and so far, waterproof.

DaRC_L

Just ordered this DHB jacket from Wiggle

Let me guess… :oops:
    you’ll be wearing it for riding back from the pub without lights.

fathomer

oldejeans – Nope really like it, wearing really well after two winters (I think). The white zips are looking a little off white now though, a good soak would probably sort them. I’m very tempted by the Gilet.

bearnecessities – I know you’ve already answered your own question, but I’m a similar size chest and have a medium which fits well.

orena45

Just ordered this DHB jacket from Wiggle

Let me guess…
    you’ll be wearing it for riding back from the pub without lights.

(Woosh)
    :|

Sorry, must’ve missed something as I don’t understand the joke there

scandal42
    Free Member

How waterproof is it Sam?

bonesetter
    Free Member

It’s something like this I’m after

DaRC_L

Sorry, must’ve missed something as I don’t understand the joke there

It’s the ‘fashionista’, particularly urban, cyclist who rides at night wears all black, on a black bike with little or no lights and then complains that cars almost kill ’em

oldejeans
    Free Member

oh, them.

I’ve never seen one, personally.

fathomer

scandal42 – Member

How waterproof is it Sam?

Not massively, it’ll shrug a shower off but not much more.

zelak999
    Free Member

The new Endura MT500 II jacket looks to be a good bet.
    Endura MT500 ii
    Improved breathability/waterproofness on the original MT500 which was very breathable/waterproof.
    Oh and it has pit zips.

dreednya

Sweet Protection do a nice looking Goretex active one http://www.sweetprotection.com/mountain-bike/technical-clothing/?p=delirious-jacket&pid=815#5568 at a price to match Gore, their Mudride shorts http://www.sweetprotection.com/mountain-bike/technical-clothing/?p=mudride-shorts&pid=793 for the bottom half look good as well

Teetosugars
    Free Member
    bonesetter
    Free Member
    warns74
    Free Member

Bought one of the MT500 jackets for the winter before last and with a long and short sleeve base layer underneath has been perfect through the last 2 winters even at their coldest. Not waterproof but is wind resistant.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/endura/mt500-long-sleeve-jersey-ec019861

bonesetter
    Free Member

Hey sugars, that SP looks as it might fit the bill

Do you have one??

bonesetter
    Free Member

warns – thanks, but have a couple of ‘jerseys’ like that one

Looking for a loose fitting cross between a softshell and hardshell I think

bonesetter
    Free Member

Anyone using anything from Marmot?

Rockape63
    Free Member

I just bought the new Gore windstopper from Wiggle reduced to £179. I know…. a lot of money, I gulped when I bought it, but have now worn it a few times and its even better than I thought it would be. Keeps you cosy in the cold and not too hot when mild. I looked at the sizes and bought XXL which is a perfect fit for my 6′ 4″ slimmish build.

(I spent a lot to give me more incentive for night riding in the winter months)

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Sounds like you you looking for something from the rab vapourise range like this

http://rab.equipment/uk/shop/men/softshell/vapour-rise-flex-jacket

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

i have an altura mayhem and i sweat balls even looking at it. It is warm. Hood is great though i reckon

bonesetter
    Free Member

I’m beginning to think there’s no need for a jacket for ‘MTB’ ing (certainly not a ‘waterproof’ one)

orena45

It’s the ‘fashionista’, particularly urban, cyclist who rides at night wears all black, on a black bike with little or no lights and then complains that cars almost kill ’em

Sounds more like ninjas to me :wink:

dpfr

I wore a Vulpine Original Rain Jacket for a wet MTB ride a couple of weeks ago and it worked well. For added MTB-ness I even crashed, whacking it on a rock and rolling into some brambles. It survived fine.

scandal42
    Free Member

Anyone used an altura nevis II

Seems to get decent reviews and would be good for throwing in the pack for rainy days in the peaks.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Hey sugars, that SP looks as it might fit the bill

Do you have one??

Nope, but as I’ve just had a couple of invoices paid, I’m gonna get one.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Let us know how you get on

Even the usually stingy Bike Radar gave it a 4.5[/url]

bonesetter
    Free Member

Jeesuz – £225 8O

Wouldn’t like to crash while wearing it :)

dantsw13

I paid £100 for mine. If you crash and rip it, it still works, as it doesn’t rely on the shell, but actively moves moisture in one direction away from the skin.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘MTB Jacket’ is closed to new replies.