Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • MTB Booby Trap at Hamerstly Descent Bike Park?
  • redfordrider
    Free Member

I’ve just heard read somethng about a MTBer being taken off his bike by a line deliberately strung at neck height on a popular trail at Hamerstely’s Descent Pike Park. Apparently, this happened over the weekend. Does anyone have more info?

neil853
    Free Member

I’ve just pulled this off my fb

ATTENTION ALL USERS OF DESCEND BIKE PARK!!!!!!!!!! DUE TO AN INCIDENT ON SUNDAY 05/02/2012 AT 1200 HRS A LOCAL RIDER WAS DELIBERATLEY (CLOSED LINED FROM HIS BIKE) BY ROPE (BLUE CORDED) STRETCHED ACROSS THE TRACK BETWEEN TWO TREE’S ON THE BOTTOM OF THE MAIN LINE OUT OF THE STEEP DROPS AND PRIOR TO THE LAST TABLE TOP. BY RIGHTS THIS RIDER SHOULD OF RECEIVED SERIOUS INJURIES POSSIBLY FATAL, WE STRESS… THAT THIS IS A PURE ATTEMPT TO SERIOUSLY INJURE USERS OF THE FACILITY. DUE TO THIS INCIDENT WE MUST ADVISE THAT ALL RIDERS CHECK THE TRACKS BEFORE USE (EVEN THO MANAGMENT CHECK THE TRAILS DAILY) WE CZNNOT RISK ANOTHER INCIDENT OFF THIS NATURE AS NEXT TIME IT COULD BE A WHOLE LOT WORSE. THE POLICE ARE NOW INVOLVED AND ARE INVESTIGATING THIS MATTER DUE TO IT SERIOUSNESS. WE NOW WANT ANYONE WITH ANY INFO AT ALL TO COME FORWARD OR CONTACT CRAIG AT DESCEND ON THE NORMAL NUMBER. THIS TRAP WAS LAID BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 1500 HRS AND 1700 HRS ON SAT 04/03/2012 OR BETWEEN 0700 HRS AND 1000 HRS ON SUNDAY 05/02/2012. PLEASE COULD ANYONE WHO HAD A CONFLICT WITH ANY MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC THAT WAS ON THE TRACK ON EITHER THE SATURDAY OR THE SUNDAY MORNING PLEASE COME FORWARD AS THIS COULD BE VERY IMPORTANT TO THE INVESTIGATION A SUBSTANTIAL REEWARD IS BEEN OFFERED BY DESCEND TO ANYONE WHO HAS ANY INFO WHICH LEADS TO AN ARREST. PLEASE HELP BUY COPYING THIS POST TO YOUR OWN FACEBOOK

seanodav
    Free Member

Idiots!

alfabus
    Free Member

Argh! The spelling in that post is melting my mind!

njee20
    Free Member

Youth of today, the grammar and syntax is utterly dire in that.

Sounds bad though.

mintimperial

Jesus. Why the **** would anyone want to do something like that? Madness.

mchlptchr
    Free Member

Heading to Hammers tomorrow night. I’ll keep an eye out for any ‘new features’.

Shocking behaviour.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Mike – I was about to email you this link!

wwaswas

That bloke was silent. I’d have been swearing like a trooper!

miketually
    Free Member

Scary. Lucky he was going slowly because of the ice; if it was dry that could have been right bad.

cynic-al
    Free Member

That boils my ****.

rob75
    Free Member

Similar things have happened at Cannock with nails being put on the trails. Things like this will always happen with it being open land usable by anyone. Sad and pathetic really but its either kids or walkers.

To answer the question, “Why would anyone want to do that?” Well in the case of it being kids they do it “for a laugh” and with walkers its because they hate bikers and think wooded or natural areas shouldn’t be used by cyclists. The same thing happens in my local woods quite often, people put logs and broken branches in the way. I’ve nearly been caught out a couple of times.

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve ridden at / taken down branches jammed into trees at neck height over Cannock Chase.

miketually
    Free Member

I wonder if it’s Mushroom Man?

GrahamS

PLEASE HELP BUY COPYING THIS POST TO YOUR OWN FACEBOOK

And translating it into English. And lower case. 😆

redfordrider
    Free Member
    brakes
    Free Member

surely this is at least ABH/ GBH.
    a serious crime.

miketually
    Free Member

And translating it into English. And lower case.

Attention all users of Descend Bike Park

In an incident on Sunday 05/02/2012 at 1200hrs, a local rider was deliberately clothes lined from his bike by blue corded rope stretched across the track between two trees on the bottom of the main line (out of the steep drops and prior to the last table top). By rights, this rider should have received serious injuries, possibly fatal.
    We stress, this is a pure attempt to seriously injure users of the facility.

Due to this incident we must advise that all riders check the tracks before use (even though management check the trails daily). We cannot risk another incident of this nature as next time it could be a whole lot worse.

The police are now involved and are investigating this matter, due to it seriousness.

We now want anyone with any info at all to come forward or contact Craig at Descend on the normal number. This trap was laid between the hours of 1500hrs and 1700hrs on Sat 04/03/2012 or between 0700hrs and 1000hrs on Sunday 05/02/2012.

Can anyone who had a conflict with any members of the public on the track on either the Saturday or the Sunday morning please come forward as this could be very important to the investigation. A substantial reward is being offered by Descend to anyone who has any info which leads to an arrest. Please help by copying this post to your own Facebook.

redfordrider
    Free Member

miketually – many thanks. Your typing is obviously much quicker than mine.

yunki
    Free Member

could daft kids be responsible..?

we used to do stuff like that when we were about eight or nine.. (only to my little brother and his mates though)

SAS fantasies..

I’d imagine that as the most plausible cause.. rather than the sinister alternatives

miketually
    Free Member

Could it be the return of the Mushroom Man?

honourablegeorge

By rights, this rider should have received serious injuries, possibly fatal.

Unfortunate wording.

Wibble89
    Free Member

Looks like it was at chest/stomach height and not neck fortunately. Still nasty and uncalled for though.

nick3216
    Free Member

It could have been worse. – Recent Italian case involving piano wire

bentudder

Has anyone confirmed this with the managers at Hammsterley? Might want to get it confirmed, post up an email from them rather than blindly forward this on – no-one has actually confirmed this has happened.

dawson
    t-p26
    Free Member

Craig who posted the original to FB is responsible for Descend bike park, pretty close to management I`d say.

Andy-R

nick3216 – Member

Bastards! – just f*cking unbelievable.

redfordrider
    Free Member

Bump – for the night shift.

miketually
    Free Member

nick3216 – Member

A few (actually, probably 15 or so) years ago, my aunt was out horse riding and hit some barbed wire that had been stretched across the bridleway. Hit the horse right on the chest and sent her flying – fractured skull, broken nose, etc.

That’d be about neck height for a cyclist…

yesiamtom
    Free Member

in all seriousness, if someone was going to do it wouldnt you do it on the uphill stretches? That way if someone does hit it (unlikely) it will be slow and presumbly less likely to cause death. I’ve run into a wire strung out like that and it really hurt…given the speeds you can go on a bike you could be killed quite easily.

Woody
    Free Member

Hamsterley is close by me and at between those hours there really can’t have been many people about other than dog walkers and people out with kids in the snow.

Doesn’t look to me like it was designed to hit above wheel/bars height but still extremely dangerous and whoever is responsible should be hurt severely (legally of course) 👿

oliverd1981
    Free Member

The location of this trap means that cyclists have been specifically targeted. That section is over a bridge which was built specifically as an exit from the downhill track and there’s nothing there that any forest users other than downhillers would have any interest in.

I’d be extra cautious on Hamsterley’s XC trails too, they’re more prominent and there’s more sections where conflict’s may have occurred. They don’t benefit from the same kind of stewardship as the Descend tracks either.

dans160
    Free Member

Utter fools. I’ve been had off big time by some well placed logs in the trail and have nearly been taken out by barbed wire stretched across the trail (at chest/neck height) more than once.

Fortunately my local DH trails are quite short so I always walk them first.

I hope they find who did it.

neilthewheel

I wonder if it’s Mushroom Man?

Mike, we discussed this possibility at HTB meeting on Monday night and urged Neil at FC to look up the files on that incident. Mushrooom Man would certainly be getting a visit if I was the investigating officer.
    We’ve also been told about a sustained campaign of sabotage at Chopwell Woods – including trees being cut almost through so as to fall on passing riders.
    Please, everyone be vigilant and take care.

GrahamS

FFS!

I take it the police are involved in the investigation?

Surely setting potentially fatal mantraps is a pretty serious crime? Or do they have to wait till someone is actually killed before they’ll get the resources to investigate it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m sure this man had absolutely nothing at all, whatsoever to do with it. And that he’d never ever encourage people to do stuff like this.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Spoon who is that then?

big_scot_nanny

Good lord, horrendous. Hope the lad is OK and it doesn’t affect confidence in the future.

One wonders if it is deliberate by “rambler” style access nazis (like that chap from california), or just stupid twonks.

Whatever, utter and total arse-biscuits all round.

Kev

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘MTB Booby Trap at Hamerstly Descent Bike Park?’ is closed to new replies.