Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • M&S home insurance + childminding = no. Alternatives?
  • Tracker1972
    Free Member

So the annual trawl seems to have agreed with Singletrack wisdom, M&S seem to hit all the right notes for insurance. Pretty cheap, flexible cover, all the good stuff. Wife is about to start child minding at home so rang them to check what impact it might have on the premium when it starts.
    The answer? We would have to decline cover! 😯
    Well I wasn’t expecting that.

Anyone in a similar position? Any obvious solutions? Was going to enjoy telling Legal & General to shove their £450 renewal (after ringing them and them reducing it) for the £300 M&S one, but L&G don’t mind child minding…

Any ideas?

tommytowtruck

It might be worth speaking to the NCMA for recommendations?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Sounds like an extra £12.50 a month in insurance cost is pretty reasonable if it includes the extra cover you need to run a child minding business from your home.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Tracker1972
    Free Member

NCMA is apparently a good idea and agreed, it isn’t a big premium. But £150 will pay for a sh1t load of nappy washing and other sundry childcare costs. Plus the comparison isn’t like for like, the M&S policy cover is much better and that price doesn’t include the Quidco cashback, ‘cos I don’t know if there is an L&G cashback yet. Will keep trawling all the same.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Is there any accidental cover included in the policies?

I assume that you would claim if something was accidentally broken, and also if it were broken by one of the kids your wife is going to look after.

Sounds fair enough to refuse to cover you when you are going to increase the risk so much.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Accidental cover on both, not complaining, just a bit unexpected, but then I guess policies like the M&S one rely on big volumes of “normal” risk to make it easy and cheap. Not normal so not covered is fair enough. Just made me realise that it might be a slightly unusual set of circumstances that someone may have encountered, and successfully solved, before 🙂

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Would the M&S policy (and domestic insurance in general) not be on the basis that the insurance is for a home, not a business? As soon as a business starts being run from home, I’d imagine insurance requirements would be different (could be wrong though) especially for public liability. As suggested NCMA should be able to provide advice, or ask other local childminders who they get cover from?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Think you are right bazookajoe, but as it is essentially normal activity, just more kids (bit like having friends over, lots) it would appear that some don’t mind. Just like some car policies include carrying school kids in your car for free, and others don’t, if you are a teacher.
    Just hope I don’t end up having to get specific bike insurance, that always seemed a bit steep in the past. Cost of doing business I guess!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘M&S home insurance + childminding = no. Alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.