Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Moving from Sram to Shimano
  • Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Had Sram Force shifters on my cx bike and after 2 years, they’re sh*gged. All the internal racket is worn smooth. I apprecaite they’ve had a very hard life, but I’m not keen on shelling out ££££ for another pair every two years or less. I remembered Shimano stuff lasting for years. Any advantage moving over to Ultegra?

mboy
    Free Member

YES!

I’m amazed they’ve lasted that long… Using current 6700 Ultegra Shifters on my road bike, they’re night and day nicer than anything SRAM (and I’ve tried them all), and they’re soooooo much more reliable. SRAM shifters break or wear out as if they’re designed to do so, and they’re also 20% more expensive like for like than their equivalent Shimano option! Go figure…

Rorschach
    Free Member

Don’t bother with ultegra for the cx bike.Just get 105.And 5600 if you can find them.Better sealed from the mud and you don’t have to strip the bar tape every time you have to change shagged cables

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

I was generous with the 2 years. More like 18months 😯

Rorschach
    Free Member

Par for the course 😕

Mister-P
    Free Member

There should be some Ultegra 10 speed bargains about now that the new 11 speed has been announced.

coatesy
    Free Member

Not sure of the Sram situation, but if Shimano sti units break, the gubbins are usually available separately at a fraction of the cost of the entire pair too.

crikey
    Free Member

but if Shimano sti units break, the gubbins are usually available separately at a fraction of the cost of the entire pair too

I think you’ll find this to be rubbish.

Rorschach
    Free Member

If by a fraction you mean about half full retail….then yes.

coatesy
    Free Member

Yep, last time I checked, 1/2 was a fraction 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

Could the pair of you point me towards the place you can buy all the internals for an STI lever?

…cos I understood that Shimano didn’t really sell the bits.

Rorschach
    Free Member

here
    Though that’s not actually the shift mechanism,just the lever.Also they are a monumental pita to fit.
    If you speak nicely to the madison tech guys they are very helpful in ‘finding’ parts that are’nt listed too 😉

coatesy
    Free Member

Check shimanotechdocs for exploded diagrams and part no.s, take them to any dealer. Just checked for 105 5700 parts, £230 for complete units, right hand gubbins for £44.99. Quite a saving.

crikey
    Free Member

Again, I think you’ll find that even with part numbers, you can’t actually get the bits; people have taken them apart and reassembled them, but it’s a major undertaking.

Essentially ‘not-user-serviceable’…

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yes,some parts are not available.If it is listed on ultimate pursuits/madison b2b (and it’s in stock) you can buy it.
    Given I’ve lost count of the number of broken 105 left hand triple shifter I’ve fixed I’d say they are sort of servicable,if you have the patience .It’s just a pain getting the return spring in position whilst replacing the pivot pin. At least with ultegra they give you a special tool for taking out the c-clip!!).
    Sorry to get a ‘little’ off topic Ben as this degenerates into a pissing contest 🙄
    Don’t make me wake up Walleater!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Moving from Sram to Shimano’ is closed to new replies.