Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Motorist tries cycling for a week!
  • DezB
    Free Member

Interesting video.
    First thing I notice – “Cyclists can irritate us drivers: The number I see without helmets!” Huh??

http://www.confused.com/car-insurance/motorists-v-cyclists/cycling-issues-video

D0NK

Couple of digs about helmet use but seems a reasonable video.

DezB
    Free Member

Most of their articles seem quite well balanced.

soma_rich
    Free Member
    DezB
    Free Member

As I say, most of the Confused.com stuff seems quite well balanced!

midlifecrashes

Why was the “cyclist” wearing that funny outfit? The motorist wasn’t dressed up like The Stig for driving to work, and seemed able to wear normal clothes for riding too, though he did put a funny hat on.

diawl2
    Free Member

What has wearing a helmet got to do with the way you ride? I get the impression that the driver thinks it’s illegal to ride without a helmet on. There seems to be a lot of ignorance generally when it comes to the Highway Code. Bring back the public information films aimed at motorists (anyone else remember ‘Ooh, I’ve been pinched’?)and Augustus Windsock I say!

joao3v16
    Free Member

There seems to be a lot of ignorance generally

That would have been sufficient. There was no need to be any more specific.

martinhutch

Interesting film. I thought the first two incidents showed up a lack of cycling experience and road sense on his part, though. Sure, the pedestrians are pillocks for not looking, but watching the clip from the start, my instinct approaching that crossing was to ease off a bit to allow for stupidity, rather than carry on at his pace. If his ’emergency stop’ in the next clip had led to a crash, it would have been almost entirely his fault and his problem.

Likewise if you filter at speed, you should really be half anticipating that cars may have stopped to allow turning across your path.

DezB
    Free Member

I thought the first two incidents showed up a lack of cycling experience

Yeah, I think the whole idea was that he wasn’t an experienced cyclist. Why should you have to be to ride on the roads here?
    Doesn’t matter how experienced you are, **** will still try to turn left in front of you after overtaking.

Woody
    Free Member

For a 5 day commute by an inexperienced cyclist, he appeared to have remarkably few incidents.

Anyone know where it was and how long the commute was?

martinhutch

Yeah, I think the whole idea was that he wasn’t an experienced cyclist. Why should you have to be to ride on the roads here?
    Doesn’t matter how experienced you are, **** will still try to turn left in front of you after overtaking.

Car, bike, it’s all a learning curve. He didn’t seem to have made the link between his speed of approach and inability to stop when confronted with ‘normal’ urban situations, though!

He got off quite lightly through the week, I guess, with just the one idiot overtaking then cutting left.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Motorist tries cycling for a week!’ is closed to new replies.