Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Motorbike licence advice please!
  • Pierre

Is there such a thing as an "automatic" motorbike licence, like there's a limited car licence?

I ask because my CBT expires soon, Mrs. Pierre has a Vespa 125 and I'd like to get a full motorbike (A) licence so at some point in the future I can ride a geared bike without having to faff about taking another test. Just wondering whether I need to hire (or buy and then sell) a CG125 or something to take a geared test on.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069867 doesn't mention anything on this…

: P

kinda666
    Free Member

I thought you could ride a geared or automatic on your CBT license??

http://www.best-motorcycle-information.com/how-to-ride-a-motorcycle.html

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Only restriction for the provisional is 12bhp I think, it does not prevent you from using a geared bike. You can ride a 250 on a cbt when you're 18

Pierre

Yes, you can. What I mean is can I take my test on an automatic (i.e. the Vespa) and be given a licence to ride a geared bike? Unlike in a car, where if you take your test in an automatic car you then only get a licence to drive an automatic, you have to take another test in a geared car if you want to drive one.

TheFlyingOx

No point buying one. Your local bike school should be able to give you a bike to train/test on. It's generally £100 or so more expensive than doing it all on your own bike.

kinda666
    Free Member

Not actually sure you can funkymonkey, think you could in the 70's though? 😆

If your over 21 Pierre just go and do the direct access course and be done with it!

Pierre

Sorry, I meant yes you can ride both geared and automatic on a CBT. But you can't ride over a 125 (11kW) without a full licence.

I'm asking whether I can just do the test on the Vespa and get a full A licence to ride a geared bike in the future. So I don't have to use a motorbike school bike or hire one or buy one…

kinda666
    Free Member

Are you looking at the A1 or A2 license??

hels
    Free Member

No.

You can't ride more than a 125 on a CBT.

You have to take your Big Bike Licence on a geared bike.

simon_g

Doing A, A1 or A2 tests on an auto bike will mean an automatic licence only, same as with cars. You'll be renting a bike if you want gears.

Worth speaking to the local schools as they block-book appointments for motorcycle tests for their students – can be a long wait otherwise. They'll be able to sort out use of a school bike too.

Pierre

I'm looking at the A2 licence, i.e. doing the test on the 125 Vespa then having a full licence with which I could only ride limited bikes for 2 years then it would be unlimited.

Just wondering whether I would need to do the test on a geared bike… See what I mean?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Only restriction for the provisional is 12bhp I think, it does not prevent you from using a geared bike. You can ride a 250 on a cbt when you're 18

no,
    With a CBT:
    at 16 you can have a 50cc limited to 31mph
    at 17 you can ride a 125cc limited to 11hp (ish)

The full test is the same regardless whether you take it on a 125cc or 500cc bike apart from on a 500cc bike they'd expect you to hit higher speeds and accelerate quicker (i.e. your not allowed to creep arround at 125 speeds).

Cost is in the region of £600 with bike hire, training and all the tests (CBT, theory, 2 days training on big bikes, mod1 and mod2 tests).

kinda666
    Free Member

I'm assuming Vespas don't have gears anymore? 😥

Probably won't get up to the 63mph limit anyway??

Pierre

I've done nearly 70 on the Vespa 😉

simon_g, where did you get that information from? It's what I was suspecting but couldn't find confirmation.

kinda666
    Free Member

Downhill with the wind behind you doesn't count!!! 😯

cbike
    Free Member

I'm pretty sure simon is correct and there is an auto restriction with motorcycles these days.

I think you would have to retake the test if you wanted to ride a geared bike at a later stage.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yes, you can. What I mean is can I take my test on an automatic (i.e. the Vespa) and be given a licence to ride a geared bike?

No.
    If you take your test on an auto bike, then you'll be restriced to autos afterwards.

Best thing to do would be to do your test on a 125 geared bike with a bike school. If you know how to ride a bike and have done it before, it won't take long to get up to test standard and pass.

I had a 125 for nearly a year on my CBT, then took my test on it. At the time I only had one day of lessons with my test at the end, which worked fine for me.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

what hels and peterpoddy says'

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

& simon_g

Pierre

Fair enough. Thanks for the advice!

chewkw
    Free Member

No bike licence needed for this …

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

The full test is the same regardless whether you take it on a 125cc or 500cc bike apart from on a 500cc bike they'd expect you to hit higher speeds and accelerate quicker (i.e. your not allowed to creep arround at 125 speeds).

nope, you have to hit the same speeds through the speed trap.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Motorbike licence advice please!’ is closed to new replies.