Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • most 'punctureproof' punctureproof 700c tyre?
  • ton

is it the schwalbe marathon or are there some not so well known better ones.
    looking for a set of 700 x 28

simondbarnes

Probably a marathon plus

nwgiles

Conti gatorskins

PMK2060

I have done about 3000 miles on my continental gatorskins without a single puncture. Cannot fault them.

jota180
    Free Member

I’m told Specialized Armadillo are good

gee
    Free Member

Armadillos are excellent but sacrifice any type of ride comfort or grip. Marathons are a bit less puncture resistant but massively durable and a lot nicer to ride.

martymac

im on my 2nd set of gatorskins, old pair had quite a few big cuts, but never had a puncture yet, on top of that they ride quite well too.

bommer
    Free Member

Spesh Nimbus Armadillo, 4k miles in and 2 punctures ain’t bad.

ampthill

Looks like it the marathon plus

http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/tour/

According to schwalbe..

But they do get heavy 700c 1.75 . Over a kg….

ton

these are going on my new leccy road bike which is fitted with stupid sram dual drive gearing…………which i imagine would be a complete bastid to sort a punture at the road side.
    weight aint a issue……. 😀

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Gatorskin hardshell. Or if you want something that rides nicely, maxxis refuse

geoffj

Spesh Armadillos A

mudmonster
    Free Member

Marathon plus. I’m a courier so I ride quite a lot. Got a maxxis refuse on the front. It’s done ok, a few punctures, tread looking a bit ragged now. When I used 26″ wheels, conti sport contact were very good.

CraigW
    Free Member

I think some of the Dutch Perfect ‘No Flat’ tyres are very puncture proof. Though probably even heavier than a Marathon Plus.

colin2011
    Free Member

Marathon Plus, nothing else comes close.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Spesh Armoured Dildos are as tough as old boots. They’re as close to puncture-proof as I’ve found! On the winter road bike, and they just sit there and work.

However, as others have said, they handle like a pig on stilts. On ice. While drunk. Not a tyre for “performance”, but brilliant as a mile muncher.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Conti ultra dura skins, did 3000miles in that London with not a single puncture including riding the Thames path, Richmond & Hyde parks and tha mean streets of west London innit bruv

jonk

Panaracer Ribmo they stand for Ride Bike More never had a flat with them

Andy

+1 for Gatorskin hardshell good for me so far

StirlingCrispin

Schwalbe Marathon Plus.
    Ridden them for 8 years or so.
    Had one puncture in that time – a 6-inch nail that would have stopped a bus (it went through the tyre and ripped off the mudguard).

Use Specialized Armadillos before that – punctured them regularly on a glass-strewn route. Then swapped to the Marathons…

orangeboy
    Free Member

Ive been impressed with my Spesh armadillos
    No flats yet and one year done. It’s just they’re so slow to roll

Sandwich

Schwalbe Durano Plus come in smaller width road bike sizes.

tthew

I’ve had 2 pairs of Continental Sport Contact’s, neither have ever had a puncture despite year round commuting. When I got them from Wiggle, they even came with a 1 year guarantee against flats. Roll pretty good as well.

funkrodent

Schwalbe marathons are amazingly puncture proof, but the new ones with the gel inner ride like dogs. I put a set on my commute bike and after 2 weeks got so sick of riding in treacle that I removed and sold them. The armadillos are very puncture proof, but are basically rigid, with no grip and no cushioning. Only buy if you hanker after a spot of tendinnitis and enjoy sliding around. The answer (as already flagged by a lot of people on this thread) are continental gatorskins. Great puncture protection, roll beautifully and provide loads of grip and cushioning. Pound for pound the best road tyre you can buy full stop.

aP
    Free Member

I’ve done 4,500 miles this year on Continental GP4 Season 23mm tires, and they’ve been completely reliable. Riding across London every weekday, 40 miles a day. I do deflate them once a month, pick out the pieces of glass and ‘stuff’ and superglue them back together again.

ChrisB
    Free Member

Surprised no one has mentioned the Vittoria Randonneurs.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-randonneur-city-tyre/

I’ve had the 700 x 28’s on my Pompino for 3-4 years with Continental inner tubes, riding around London, and not had one puncture. I’ve only bought new sets when I have had crashes and busted wheels. They last forever.

Going to buy the slightly lighter “Pro” version in 700 x 32 for my Cross Check touring project.

druidh
    Free Member

Marathon Plus. Have a look at a cross section of one and you’ll see why.

ton

ordered marathon plus ones.

cheers all.

workhard
    Free Member

conti gatorskin hardshells in 28mmn on 3 road going bikes. commuting 150+km a week, hardly ever get a visit, (like twice in 3 years iirc)juswt keep em pumped up.

legend
    Free Member

So Marathon Plus’ are the tyre of choice, but what about widths? Just put a slice right through a cheap tyre that is a 25c, would I see any benefit in going bigger? Or should I just stick with that size? Only weigh around 65kg (10ish stone) so load ratings shouldn’t be a problem

Cheers

druidh
    Free Member

Can you fit a bigger tyre in your frame and forks?
    28mm would give you a little more comfort on rougher roads and surfaces.

mauja
    Free Member

Specialized armadillos get my vote, had a pair on my singlespeed and use it as my winter commuter down some pretty poorly surfaced lanes and have yet to have a single puncture.

I’ve used gatorskins on my regular road bike, they do give a more comfortable ride and feel faster probably as they’re lighter but they’re not as puncture proof in my experience.

emanuel
    Free Member

might try marathon supremes.they come in 28,not quite as puncture proof as plusses,ride much better though.the vectran layer is really effective.never punctured with the ones I’ve had.
    schwalbe presta tubes have a removable core,get some stans in the tubes and not only will you probably never notice a puncture,but you’ll only have to pump up your tyres once every 2 months or so.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Gatorskins LOL you’ve clearly never seen a Marathon plus.

legend
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    Can you fit a bigger tyre in your frame and forks?
    28mm would give you a little more comfort on rougher roads and surfaces.

yeah loadsa room, currently rocking one of these thanks to the good people at Create 8) I assume the difference in rolling resistance between 25 and 28 would barely be noticeable? My commute’s only 4.5miles anyway so not a big deal either way

trebord
    Free Member

Ton, I bought the Marathon 700x35c tyres that you sold on here a while ago. Did LEJOG on them with ZERO punctures.

Also have a set of Marathon Plus 26×1.75 on the commuter.. In over a year’s daily use, again, ZERO flats.

These Schwalbe offerings defo win my vote.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Ton. Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Seriously. Eight years commuting and not one puncture. £30 each-ish but well worth it.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘most 'punctureproof' punctureproof 700c tyre?’ is closed to new replies.