Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • most favorite surrey hills climb / descent ??
  • slowuphill
    Free Member

Friday afternoon Survey

What is your favorite Surrey hills Climb / Descent ??

Descent : from Leith Hill cricket pitch – Summer Lightening – Wolvens Lane (side) – to Rookery Drive

Climb : Happy Valley – Box Hill

njee20
    Free Member

It’s pretty well all good fun, don’t really have any favourite parts! Not Secret Squirrel which I am, for some reason, unable to ride like a total mong.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Never worked out which route secret squirrel is?

[oh just YT-ed – its the off camber rooty one that x’s TR?

mattjg
    Free Member

Up ‘Metropolis’ and down ‘One Track Mind’

njee20
    Free Member

its the off camber rooty one that x’s TR?

It’s parallel to TR yes, crosses right at the top.

spacemonkey

It’s parallel to TR yes, crosses right at the top.

The off-camber one?

Oddly I’ve had days when I clean that in really shit conditions, and days when I dab it when fine.

spacemonkey

What is your favorite Surrey hills Climb / Descent ??

Forgotten its name but the one that starts at the top of Winterfold (just north of the ‘off limits’ roll-in area) and runs down to Walking Bottom carpark.

njee20
    Free Member

That’s the one. I just ride it like a complete spanner!

nuke

Up ‘Metropolis’ and down ‘One Track Mind’

😕 Clearly I’m not in the ‘know’ 🙁 😉

Plenty of descents I enjoy but I do enjoy a good climb…A248 near Chilworth up to St Marthas (Sandy towards the top makes it additionally challenging), Beggars Lane (Easier now sanitised), Rookery to Leith Hill Tower (Good finish with the steep rooty bit), Juniper Top up to Box Hill or side of Box Hill (timing yourself between the log posts at the top and bottom just after/before the road 😀 )

spacemonkey

Speaking of Boxhill, has anyone here ever cleared the steps (from the top down to the river)? Tis strictly a footpath and one I wouldn’t ever condone attacking on a bike.

tallgavin
    Free Member

Climb: The bit I have to do to get to the top. None of them I like!
    Descent (still in use): Leith Hill Tower – Windy Willows – Veloria – Bossa Nova – Rookery descent
    Descent (until trashed): Countdown to Ecstacy – Foot and Mouth – Fire Whacker

Not strictly Surrey Hills but on Ranmore: Abba Zabba – Blind Terror – Reformation

mattjg
    Free Member

Speaking of Boxhill, has anyone here ever cleared the steps (from the top down to the river)? Tis strictly a footpath and one I wouldn’t ever condone attacking on a bike.

**** me you mean down to the stepping stones? Last time I was there (not recently) a bit of that is tough to get up, on foot.

spacemonkey

**** me you mean down to the stepping stones? Last time I was there (not recently) a bit of that is tough to get up, on foot.

Yep. It’s a right bastard on foot (at the end of a 2-3hr run) as well as the odd occasion I’ve seen fit to carry my bike up there too.

Have often wondered if someone has attempted it though.

njee20
    Free Member

Last time I was there (not recently) a bit of that is tough to get up, on foot.

Assume he meant down?

cakefest
    Free Member

From Hindhead down Golden Valley bridleway descent west to Whitmoor Vale Road. Fast, steep, power. Then turn around and grunt back up again, and then go down again. Nice and quiet, too. Sshhhh.

mattjg
    Free Member

So do I.

GlennG
    Free Member

‘countdown to ecstacy’ ‘fire wacker’ ‘blind terror’, etc, etc, etc, always amused at some of the names given to the gnar trails on the North Downs, who names them? Do like descent down side of Wolvens Lane though, hadnt done it for a few years and rode it last sunday, very good fun.

spacemonkey

Assume he meant down?

Yes, but I think Matt was referring to the fact it can be an absolute dog to even walk up, let alone ride down.

tallgavin
    Free Member

who names them?

Person who first built them.

mattjg
    Free Member

Back when I took training seriously I used to ride out there on my shopping bike, chuck it in the bushes by the river then run up that and around the hill, then ride home.

Those days are long gone!

Once when I was about 10 (which would have been mid-70s) I drank from the river and spent the next 2 days spewing up. Bad idea! Got me off school tho.

We digress ….

rewski
    Free Member

If you mean the NT one on the NDW then yes, did it on Sunday, got a few funny looks. Those steps are very steep.

Climb: the betchworth quarry climb is pretty harsh but fun, slippy this time of year.

@ tallgavin, what was the descent you took me down to westcott, that was ace.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Up – Rancid Toad
    Down – Chutney Ferret

(Of course, I could just have made those up……)

tallgavin
    Free Member

For more of a challenge on Box Hill, try the slope that drops down the steep west side called ‘Soiled Pants’ – name speaks volumes

mattjg
    Free Member

(Of course, I could just have made those up……)

C’mon play the game, song titles only please.

tallgavin
    Free Member

what was the descent you took me down to westcott, that was ace.

Leith Hill Tower – Windy Willows – Veloria – Bossa Nova – Rookery descent

nuke

the betchworth quarry climb is pretty harsh but fun, slippy this time of year.

Still got the scar from the 5 stitches I got in my arm from coming down that 20 odd years ago…that chalk is slippery in the wet

mattjg
    Free Member

Actually random Motorhead track titles make remarkably good trail names, I’ve currently got ‘Don’t Need Religion’ blaring in the cans.

rewski
    Free Member

that chalk is slippery in the wet.

sure is, it’s also got a slippery moldy surface due to the mild weather.

skaifan
    Free Member

Climb: Peters Pudding
    Descent: Cocktail vomit

tallgavin
    Free Member

Just thought of another good ‘down’ if you ignore a slight ‘up’ at one or two points:
    Bury me here – Johnson and Johnson – Perimeter Trail – Fly Tipper

mattjg
    Free Member

What we should be doing is pick the name first, then make a trail to fit.

singletrackmind

@Cakefest
    Will be riding that tomoz hopefully
    Looking forward to it , did it as part of a loop which took in Gibbet hill and the ponds + the Punchbowl

adstick
    Free Member

I don’t know what any of them are called! What’s the one on Pitch with the new extension – droppy berms and a little gap? Or the off camber one that crosses the road at the top.

All the stuff on Winterfold.

TBH there’s loads of good trails up there.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I understand trails are named by the first person to ride it – I was there when “Easy Tone” came into being. A fancy name for a pile of wood !

Wolvens Lane Climb or the rocky stream on Winterfold (up and down inc flowy trail which joins it), lots of fun bits and pieces Deliverence or the steep rooty trail from the top of Pitch. Abba Zabba. So much more to find …

jambalaya
    Free Member

adstick – each time I ride that trail I find a new excuse not to attempt the gap, too wet, on my own, not feeling confident, too tired … 😕

adstick
    Free Member

Do it! It’s really not that tricky (if you done a gap before), stay right and remember there’s a corner coming up. 🙂

deviant
    Free Member

Descent: Gibbet Hill in Hindhead.

Climb: Not a fan of climbs but if pushed there are some pleasant singletrack climbs in Whitmore Vale.

Carlos45
    Free Member

Adstick – if it’s the trail I think it is the name is Proper Bo (also known as Rad Lane)

Spacemonkey – I’ve heard that this was called Supernova – which I think Adstick is also referring to.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘most favorite surrey hills climb / descent ??’ is closed to new replies.