• This topic has 35 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Most expensive MTB yet? – $12,000 S-Works
  • scruff
    Free Member

😯

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It ridiculous and stupid I can’t see why any real person needs to spend more than £3.58 on a bike anyway I’m still riding one my grandad welded out of gates before the war. It was all better back then you know etc. And repeat for 12 pages.

nemesis
    Free Member

It’s not really for buying though (though no doubt some will sell), it’s much more about having a flagship model that people dream of but then buy the cheaper (only £2k maybe 🙂 ) model that supposedly shares the same DNA.

It’s selling the dream. Standard marketing technique.

njee20
    Free Member

Interesting they’re speccing the RS1, their Futureshock/SID hybrid was impressively light, the RS1 is pretty chunky – that’s got to add a pound onto the weight of their flagship race bike, odd choice.

It’s got a ‘mini dropper post’ too.

I guess they’re going for the fast trail bike market, with the World Cup variant (I’m guessing) having XX1, SID/Futureshock fork and no dropper.

atlaz
    Free Member

I think they have to make their race bikes available to the public. Same way that Team GB makes those bespoke carbon road and track frames available if you have the obscene amount of money spare.

timmys

Is that with electronical XTR? If not that will add another chunk on top when it’s available. 😯

bikerbruce
    Free Member

Thats more for the “if your spending 5 grand why not spend 8.. clan” if i was after an all day fast riding solid XC bike I’d probably want one of those… presuming they would donate me one!

njee20
    Free Member

Is that with electronical XTR? If not that will add another chunk on top when it’s available

Looks like mechanical.

I think they have to make their race bikes available to the public.

That’s not their race bike – there’s a World Cup variant with less travel, steeper angles, fatter chainstays, single ring transmission etc.

ninfan
    Free Member

Pffft! Suspension not even tuned by Mclaren 🙄

Though, that could be the even more expensive limited edition that will no doubt appear in a couple of months…

skinnyboy
    Free Member

No dropper and no Di2XTR… I’m out.

warpcow
    Free Member

skinnyboy – Member
    No dropper

Yes there is.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Is this the one StinkingDylan’s getting?

scaredypants

😆 thestabiliser

stumpy01

$12000 is about £7000. Top-end bikes have been available for years at around £7k, so it’s no more expensive than the ridiculous top end stuff that gets showcased every year, is it?

loddrik
    Free Member

What are those forks?

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

£12k is small change to some people; get over it.

njee20
    Free Member

$12000 is about £7000. Top-end bikes have been available for years at around £7k,

Indeed, the outgoing S-Works is £7200. I suspect this will be more, just because they always increase year on year!

What are those forks?

Rock Shox RS1

Is this the one StinkingDylan’s getting?

Genuine lol at that, well done. And no, it doesn’t have XT 😐

honourablegeorge

njee20 – Member

I suspect this will be more, just because they always increase year on year!

Big Spec increases this year, 10-15% across the board

mickmcd
    Free Member

in 1992 ABM made some bikes with electrofusion in fact 12k cheap at twice the price for a complete bike 25k frame only

http://www.mombat.org/1992AmericanBe1.jpg

the fact they made like 2 lets gloss over that for the sake of the pedants having to scrawl something

xc-steve
    Free Member

looks really boring

joolsburger
    Free Member

If you were a millionaire had an amazing house, car and so forth but were also into dicking about in the woods what exactly would be wrong with a 7k bike? I can’t justify 7k on a bike but there are loads for who 7k is peanuts best not to get jealous and/or stressed. It’s not that obscene really, it’s a lovely thing made by a market leader to the highest standards.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

You could buy a car for that!!!

:mrgreen:

cynic-al
    Free Member

You guys HAVE seen this @ £14K right?

njee20
    Free Member

**whispers** That’s not a mountain bike.

binners

If I was going to spaff £7k on a bike it wouldn’t be on something as gopping as that!

mudshark
    Free Member

Not even front suspension on that.

skinnyboy
    Free Member

I find Specialized stuff a bit too, whats the word….. leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

Audis of the bike world.

doof_doof
    Free Member

If I was going to spaff £7k on a bike it wouldn’t be on something as gopping as that!

Or indeed on a Spesh

StuE
    Free Member

If I was going to spend £7k on a bike it would be one of these
    http://www.ktm.com/gb/enduro/250-exc/highlights.html#.U8pBcPldWSo

tpbiker
    Free Member

Whats the dropper post it has? I can’t see one on the pic.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

it’s got a dropper, looks like it drops about 2 inches tops, but then again, it’s a xc race weapon, so is it needed?

I’d think the first thing a xc race wippet would do is swap it for something lighter? which at 7 big ones you shouldn’t be doing.

crankrider
    Free Member

stumpy01 – Member

$12000 is about £7000. Top-end bikes have been available for years at around £7k, so it’s no more expensive than the ridiculous top end stuff that gets showcased every year, is it?

It is not going to be £7k though for one minute – not with VAT, import, dealer etc fees.

By the time it is in the UK it will be close to £12k and nowhere near £7k.

Absolutely mental price for a bicycle, and I love tech stuff.

Jamie
    Free Member

Seems quite cheap for 2 cars and a bike.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

$12000 is about £7000

Which in reality, will be about £12K.

onewheelgood

In 1992 a Marin team Ti cost £5000, which is apparently £9,031.00 today.

LoCo
    Free Member

If I had 12k to spunk on bikes, it’d be a mach6 with lots of nice bits leaving 2 or 3k for a nice carbon cross bike.

I’m sure the spesh is ok but not that good value

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Most expensive MTB yet? – $12,000 S-Works’ is closed to new replies.