Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Most contentious bike products?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I notice there’s a clash of handbags over Hope Vs Shimano brakes going down.

We all knew that wasn’t going to result in a polite and courteous debate as soon as we saw the thread title, but is it the most contentious topic in the world of bike products?

Santa Cruz pricing?
    Planet X/On One QC?
    Superstar anything?

gwaelod
    Free Member

Helmets

daver27
    Free Member

SSPP (Specialized’s Stupid Proprietary Parts) Weird thru axle sizes, Weird shock lengths/mounts etc.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ahwiles
    Free Member

cup and cone vs cartridge bearings.

i’m an engineer, i fix things with spanners and care. Therefor i prefer cup and cone bearings.

fitters ‘fix’ things in a hurry, so they use hammers. They prefer cartridge bearings.

nemesis
    Free Member

Campag V Shimano (and now V SRAM)

You’d think it was religion the way people argue it…

ahwiles
    Free Member

ooh! another one:

‘low normal’ rear derailleurs, they’ll bring out the handbags, every time.

whitestone
    Free Member

Press fit bottom brackets. 😈

I’m going to have a lie down …

mtbfix

Any new ‘industry standard’ that is at odds with previous ‘standards’ that we’d used for years without realising it had some enormous intangible flaw.

tthew

fitters ‘fix’ things in a hurry, so they use hammers. They prefer cartridge bearings

Not this engineer. I prefer cartridge bearings, but press them in carefully on the outer race, the way it should be done.

Anyhow, to answer the OP, proper road bike or CX/gravel bike compromise.

ndthornton
    Free Member

i’m an engineer, i fix things with spanners and care. Therefor i prefer cup and cone bearings.

I’m an engineer and I prefer cartridge

Lets get it on 👿 👿 👿

ahwiles
    Free Member

see? c&c vs cartridge, there’s contention for you. i’m going to have to fight tthew and ndthornton to the death over this one.

(nothing personal)

but:

Press fit bottom brackets.

we all know they’re shit. or at best: ‘meh’.

wrecker
    Free Member

Orange bikes?
    SRAM vs Shimano?

chakaping
    Free Member

see? c&c vs cartridge, there’s contention for you.

Point proved.

Not sure anyone defends the corner of press fit BBs though?

Another obvious one – Orange bikes being “outdated” and “agricultural”.

wwaswas

Crank Brothers pedals.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Avid

ndthornton
    Free Member

I use contention, heated debate and endless threads about exactly the same tedious topic as a good indicator that there is really sod all difference between x thing and y thing….and therefor I should just pick the cheapest.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Of all the bike parts I have experience of the two that have bothered me the most or been the most disappointing were:

Avid Brakes
    Specialized Stout Hubs

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Engineers . what the what now?

imnotverygood

Crank Brothers pedals.

No I think we all accept that Crank Bros pedals bearings are complete rubbish. Even those of us who like to use them.

pictonroad

“pulling up” on the pedals with SPD vs flat pedals. Fond memories of the letters page on MBUK sizzling with this particularly fascinating argument.

tthew

Engineers . what the what now?

(If I understand you correctly) cup and cone – an antiquated bearing design, like a circular version of how stone age man rolled the massive Stonehenge boulders across the county, and still used by that Neanderthal outfit Shimano.

Cup and cone. Precision engineering component, universally accepted across high tech industries for accuracy, longevity and value since it was invented by Swiss scientists. 😀

Oh, and I rather like my Avid Elixir brakes too.

jools182
    Free Member

Bike industry – ‘You need 27.5’

sharkattack

Enve rims

wrecker
    Free Member

😯 Fark.

imnotverygood

That’ll polish out.

lunge

This is just me but CX bikes, or to be more accurate, gravel/touring/gnarmac bikes that are branded as CX bikes.

A CX bike has steep geometry, no mounts or eyelets and is designed to hoon around off road for an hour or 2. It is a not a bike with relaxed geometry for touring or one with rack mounts for commuting. Yes, you can ride a gnarmac bike in a CX race, yes you can commute on a CX bike but they are different things.

And breathe.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Mountain biking, and often road cycling, tends to attract competitive/aggressive sorts of men; those who’d never want to be called wrong. If they’ve spent alot of their hard earned on something , they’ll never want to be told they’ve made the wrong choice, and that they should have bought something else.

Hope/Shimano brakes are probably the best example of this.
    Chris King hubs?
    Shimano/SRAM in the roadie world
    Disc/rim brakes in the roadie world

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Enve rims

And Santa Cruz bikes. A couple more good examples.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Evil

D0NK

Enve rims

anything can break, I could start naming my most trusted parts and someone on here will have a pic of a catastrophic failure of it. Have enough people broken them to make them contentious? (besides don’t they have the stupid internal nipple which puts off most people anyway (if the price hasn’t already 😉 )

Cup and cone is a good one but shimano seem to be on a losing battle with that, besides it’s their freehubs I have a problem with not the bearings 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Enve rims

Yeah!

Disc/rim brakes in the roadie world

Hell yeah! More contentious on here than any roadie forum I’ve seen too.

sharkattack

That’s just my favourite picture of an Enve rim but I don’t think it’s the fragility that makes them contentious, there’s a list of things.

Why don’t you start your own thread, Enve vs. Flows or something and watch the fireworks.

As for the muppet who loves cup and cone, surely that’s a wind up? Leave them in the middle ages.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Have enough people broken them to make them contentious?

I dunno. They just look silly with those massive logos on them, plus they cost more than I earn in a month.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Cup and cone work great for road bike wheels! They roll forever

swanny853

15mm vs 20mm axles? That and boost, while we’re here.

P.s. I liked cup and cone when I was a student, had no money, but a lot of time to keep them running perfectly. Now I have less time but more money, so I favour cartridge and a once very x years job with the hammers and drifts.

matt_outandabout

‘low normal’ rear derailleurs, they’ll bring out the handbags, every time

Rapid Rise please.
    And they rock.
    Does anyone have any 9sp RR mechs in good condition they want rid of?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Short stems on road bikes…..

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

You’d think it was religion the way people argue it…

It’s far more important than that.

mrblobby
    Free Member

A CX bike has steep geometry, no mounts or eyelets and is designed to hoon around off road for an hour or 2. It is a not a bike with relaxed geometry for touring or one with rack mounts for commuting. Yes, you can ride a gnarmac bike in a CX race, yes you can commute on a CX bike but they are different things.

Here here!

But then MTB is everything from xc race weapon, through trail, enduro, to DH bike, and loads in between.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Does anyone have any 9sp RR mechs in good condition they want rid of?

You know what, I might (although I’d need to check with the better half, as technically it’s hers)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Most contentious bike products?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts