Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Most accessible mountain summit, with a bike.
  • Kunstler

Last Sunday I biked to the summit of Carn na Caim (munro above Dalwhinnie). There’s a LRT up to the moorland plateau which is as steep in places as the Glas Tulaichean track and made up of large, loose pieces of shale – but ridable. The track across the plateau should have been a bog but was equally very ridable in the current freakily dry conditions. There was about a twenty metre wide section where the perma-bog had formed a little creek that needs a carry but that was it.

There was a similar section on it’s neighbouring munro (on same plateau) but again the rest was ridable.

Beinn Dearg from Blair Atholl might be another possibility. I’ll let you know after this Sunday.

Sanny
    Free Member

Beinn Dearg would require a short push of about 100 metres where you leave the doubletrack to get onto the walkers path up. You can return via the Land Rover track as a circuit going clockwise on a track that isn’t on older os maps but does exist which takes you into Glen Tilt at the shooting range. We rode it and Carn a Chlamain as a day ride in Nov. Smashing day out and Dearg us not as rocky at the top as the map would have you expect.

Sanny
    Free Member

Kunstler

Any pics from carn na caim?

Cheers

Sanny

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    globalti
    Free Member

High Street in the Lakes has a Roman road right along the top, it’s excellent for riding.

Skiddaw.

Mt Keen – okay until the last few hundred feet, when you’ll have to walk.

Most of the Carneddau.

mamadirt
    Free Member

What bike do you have coming Ton? I thought of you the other day when I was browsing some old Interbike/Eurobike footage and came across an electric powered Solid Blade – not sure if it would be what you’re looking for but it looked fantastic.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpXxOUyJrZo[/video]

rone

Rode Glas Tulaichen a year or so ago. Steep but rideable. More or less straight up.

twohats
    Free Member

Ton, look into electric kits rather than bikes.
    We had a bike in for service the other week where the the guy who owned it had bought a kit from the states and fitted it to his full Suss bike.
    It did 85kph flat out! I managed 60kph on it in our very small car park!
    I’d imagine it’d be great fun off road.

Trekster

oldagedpredator – Member
    Another from the radar dome list – not been up either but there is a road to the top – Lowther Hill and Green Lowther just south of Wanlockhead. Handy for the M74.

Could, with assistance and a pick-up at the end do Enterkin Burn descent from there.
    Another option, not a mountain but guaranteed grin would be to start in Durisdeer, ride out to the Dalveen Pass Rd. pick up the old Roman Rd back to Durisdeer
    From Durisdeer there is another landt track goes up the hill past the cemetery. This continues over to Garroch farm on the back road to Ae. Rough and a few burns to cross. How water-proof is the bike. Might need transport back from Garroch but it is mostly downhill tp Thornhill. Would be a big-ish ride for others 😆
    Sure I could rustle up a few mates to help

ton

Sanny, do you fancy doing a day’s guiding, when i come up?
    and you too Trekster, around the Ae area.

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Ton

Yeah! Sounds good. As long as you don’t mind my pish banter and enthusiasm when out in the hills, I’m up for that. E mail in profile.

Cheers

Sanny

Trekster

Sanny, do you fancy doing a day’s guiding, when i come up?
    and you too Trekster, around the Ae area.

Nae bother. I works shifts so need to wok around that. Lots of forest roads and you can go from Ae to Beatock/ Moffat. No shop/cafe at Ae for now, due to be re-tendered soon I believe

ton

cheers fella’s
    i will be in touch in due course…………. 8)

Kunstler

Beinn Dearg was great today – you’re right about that section of path Sanny but I did manage to ride a fair bit of it. Hardest where it was loose.

I’ve got a couple of photos from Carn na caim & A’ Bhuidheanach Bheag but I’m not sure how representative of the whole ride they actually are. First is the track up to the plateau. Further up from here the track is steeper and made of larger stones that make traction difficult. The path across the tops would be great in present dry conditions but hellish when wet (most of the time).

They are real baggers peaks. Ticked now and I don’t hold any great inclination to go back again.

By the way Sanny – I liked what I saw that you wrote on WH. It was a great reply.

Sanny
    Free Member

Cheers Kunstler for the kind words. That was a really interesting thread. I couldn’t believe someone took a pic of me carrying up Ben Lomond and posted it online.
    How did you come off Beinn Dearg. Did you do the loop or just head back via Alt Schiachan Bothy?

Grand day out today. Captain Mainwaring, me and my mate Donald headed up onto the Ben Lawers massif. Ended up knocking out all 7 munros on the bike. The descent off Beinn Ghlas and round the back is absolutely top notch. Great day to be out.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for Skidaw.

f**** steep though. Assuming the elctric bike is aproximately as fit as a normal human, it’s rideable upto the car park (about 1/3 of the way up at the ‘tree line’, maybe get someone to drop you there and drive down to the bottom car park to save battery?), then there’s a few feilds, but then the next 1/3rd of the climbing is really steep, before it levels off again, the last bit is quite a plesent ride.

amodicumofgnar

I can foresee a “Ton to the Top” weekend coming up

Being giving hills more thought, havent come up with any but have got another suggestion for the wider challenge. It should also involve raising money for something. And make a film about it.

Name : Getting the Ton up

Challenge: Getting Ton up 100 bikeable summits – (ideally I’d suggest within one year but could be longer). Summits can be of any altitude.

If 100 bikeable summits cant be found then the alternative plan is above 600m on a summit or a pass. Some form of Munro bagging rules may be required.

ton

oldagedpredator, this sounds like something to aim for.
    i dont know about 100 summits, but i am up for a challange, and hopefully the bike i have coming should have enough grunt to give me a good hand.
    and the less i weigh the easier it should be, hence my determination with idave’s eating plan.

it is gonna be a good year…….. 8)

druidh
    Free Member

I thought of another one (could have kicked myself when it occurred to me).
    Sgurr a Chaorachain – that’s the one with the radio mast on top at the Bealach na Ba. 776 metres – so definitely a mountain summit and it can only be around 1km along that landie track from the car park 🙂

amodicumofgnar

Ton, glad you like the idea. Like any tick list it’ll take as long as it takes but once its done then hopefully other’s will be inspired to do it.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Most accessible mountain summit, with a bike.’ is closed to new replies.