Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • More Ebay Madness (Road Bike Content)
  • mavisto
    Free Member

Guy has had this BIKE advertised on Ebay before for 3K. He's now dropped it down to 2K.

Why would anyone get a hand built frame made in 2007 but to 1980's spec components? I had my beautiful hand built Harry Quinn frame fully refurbished to accept modern kit purely because I couldn't get parts to replace the worn out ones.

Obviously deluded!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Nutter, why bother when there are so many actual 1980's Mercians about? Mind, plenty of other nutters about whose cup of tea that would def be.

Frame is WAY too big for him too, even by retro standards.

warton
    Free Member

those brake callipers are the nuts though. I'd have them on my road bike any day

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldgit
    Free Member

Tis odd. The paintwork IMO is hideous, the bars? and the weird Campag thing going on i.e 6 speed and Deltas (that wont appeal to the guys with 2K to spend)rack mounts do I see there?
    The size of the frame with so little post on show and the very forward saddle, not to slick.

aP
    Free Member

Shame he's put a Campag chainset onto a shimano bottom bracket.
    He's obviously a bit Mariah Carey.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Yeah what happened to the other half of the handlebars? For 2k I'd expect a whole handlebar!

oldgit
    Free Member

mavisto I agree. My Gios is going off to be restored, but it'll be rebuilt with modern kit.

mavisto
    Free Member

He looks like he's had the thing built for touring. There seems to be rack mounts of some sorts and I'm not at all keen on the way he's chopped the drops off.

He's got some really nice kit on it, but that doesn't mean it's worth what he paid for it.

Sorry for all the repeated comments, I was adding to my original post while others where replying.

Denis99
    Free Member

Strange about the retro components usage, then he has used a Thomson seat post……..

mavisto
    Free Member

oldgit – Member

mavisto I agree. My Gios is going off to be restored, but it'll be rebuilt with modern kit.

I can recommend Bob Jacksons in Leeds. I had a new rear brake hanger fitted and the rear drop-outs spaced to accept modern hubs. Also had a front gear hanger fitted and ergo adjuster added near the headtube.

It wasn't cheap, but I now have my first good road bike in better condition than it was when I bought it.

The only problem is I don't like to ride it. I'm happy to sit and look at it. Oh and yes I am a sad git!!!!

oldgit
    Free Member

I'm also fitting carbon forks..the sin!

BigDummy
    Free Member

That is very odd. 😕

oldgit
    Free Member

Ah you see the main frame is lovely ORIA as used by Indurain back in the day. The forks however are not, they are pretty, but they also very old and heavy.
    It'll probably be fitted with Ultegra.
    The quill stem has gone and I want a chrome CK 1" headset.
    I do need to source an early polished seatpost and I have a replica Tan suede and copper riveted saddle to go on it.
    Gios blue.
    It'll be my 'gentlemans bicycle'

tonyg2003

It's not an 80's Mercian. If I read it right it's a 2007 Mercian – hence the Carbon forks. He probably paid around a grand for the frame and with all that NOS Campag on it he's probably spent alot of money putting it together. Over 2K. It's a pity it looks like a dogs dinner 😀

I'm getting my fifteen year old Dave Yates 653 refurbed soon but the steel forks are remaining and the Record carbon groupset off my best bike is going onto it. The biggest changes over the years IMHO is in the components not in frames – at least for steel. Hence I'll have a lovely Sunday morning coffee stop bike the changes gear and stops properly.

mavisto
    Free Member

I kept my original forks as the frame was originally built for 27" wheels with mudguards and Bob Jacksons told me that the geometry and handling would change if I went for something different.

I bought it in 1980 for £125 just before the Harry Quinn shop in Liverpool closed. It was in the days when you trained on the bike in winter and then stripped it down and put the sprints on for summer.

It is a 26" frame hand built in Reynold 531DB tubing. At 6'4" with very long legs I was never going to be a quick rider, but I did love it. Am I just feeling nostalgic or did the summers really seem better then?

TimothyD
    Free Member

I'm only 29 and the summers definately seem like they used to be wearmer and sunnier to me as well.

Stop flying on planes on holiday people, I want my warm summers and cold winters back.

TimothyD
    Free Member

sniffle

smell_it
    Free Member

Think I'd just go to Mercian and start from scratch;
    http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/frame_vincitore.asp

Agency_Scum
    Free Member

That bike's a bit weird. Why the hell is he selling it? I mean, one accepts the convention that " ancient and modern " means lush old frame and new drivetrain but the colours….and those bars.
    ap was right about the Mariah Carey syndrome though I'd go further. I think we're into the gothic strangeness of a full on Kate Bush here.
    Proper daft.

gingerflash

"those brake callipers are the nuts though. I'd have them on my road bike any day "

I remember Sean Kelly saying this summer, during the Tour, how pretty but absolutely rubbish those delta brakes were. He was laughing about how dangerously crap they were.

bike advertised on another similar site, a 1980 something'Wester Ross' for £10k or offers.
    No one was interested. A pal bought for less than £500 in the end. Its got a full Campag Titanium chain and gear set on it.
    Bargain buy !

vdubber67
    Free Member

It it a special clown bike? 😀

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘More Ebay Madness (Road Bike Content)’ is closed to new replies.