• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Moors Valley Country Park – cycling tips please
  • cinnamon_girl

Needed to be resuscitated after learning of the parking charges!

Blue route specifically and ht or fs?

Thanks. 🙂

Don’t ever park there, use Watchmoor Wood at the Ringwood end.

Easy trail for HT. Loads of off piste, but you need to search it out.

40mpg

Park at Bakers Hanging – a couple of car parks (free) off the B3081 Verwood road. Then just head West and you’ll pick up the trail.

Plenty of other good stuff in there, its like a maze, I always get lost in a good way following interesting paths until I find something I recognise again.

Oh and FS is definitely overkill. The trail is fun if ridden at speed, so avoid peak times.

DT78
    Free Member

Plenty of free parking close. Normally I would pay for parking to support the park, but moores valley prices are taking the Michael. Definitely no need for a FS, it’s hardpack.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks chaps. I can only ride a short distance so parking elsewhere is out. I specifically want to try the blue route so ht it is. Mid-week too so as I don’t hold up other folk.

Is there any gradient?

faustus

Very little really, and not technical in any way, so enjoy a bit of speed and cornering…Verwood forest on the other side of the B3081 has lots of interesting off piste trails which would be more fun, but not as easy to navigate.

cinnamon_girl

Cornering? Excellent, that’s what I need to work on … again. Verwood Forest sounds good but navigation skills a bit rubbish currently.

DT78
    Free Member

The park at watchmore meets the loop half way. It’s less than 5 mins on the bike I’d say.

cinnamon_girl

Just to update … had a pleasant time there today and rode 3 laps of the blue, even coped with the woodwork. Ideal for beginners as there’s nothing scary and it flowed well.

If I went there again would definitely park somewhere else. No problem with contributing towards the upkeep of trails but £8 can in no way be justified.

Thanks again for the info, it was most helpful. 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

8 quid?! F%@£ my old boots! My folks live relatively near and I get out early for a cheeky few laps when I visit.

Glad I’ve always parked on the versus road carparks!

cinnamon_girl

There’s different prices depending on the time of year. £8 was for 2-4 hours parking.

Curious as to whether those using Go Ape still have to pay for parking (don’t know Go Ape prices these days) as it must work out bloomin’ expensive for a family.

tom199
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack. Recently moved to one of the local villages nearby to Moors valley and have explored the local area a bit and ridden Moors Valley a fair few times but could do with some route advice/ somebody to show me some of the more off piste singletrack around moors valley and in Ringwood/ Verwood forest. Anybody regularly ride there and wouldn’t mind a tag along? Happy to pay my way in flapjacks and wagon wheels 🙂

DanW
    Free Member

Also, if anyone is thinking of visiting soon I’d recommend parking at the sports pitches on Potterne Way. The fish and chip shop on the main road nearby always used to be alright too 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Moors Valley Country Park – cycling tips please’ is closed to new replies.