Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Mondraker Foxy – yes, another new bike, but…
  • chakaping
    Free Member

…having changed bikes more than a little over the last year or two, I think I’m going to be keeping this one.

Mondraker Foxy R 2010, bought secondhand and upgraded quite a bit.

Went for a large at 5ft 9in to get a long TT, whole bike very long and low. Corners like a train. Feel very much “in” the bike. Rides up OK, not much bob even without PP on. Nice and light for what it is too.

Anyone else riding a Foxy at the moment?

Pics (gardening advice welcomed)…

RealMan
    Free Member

Looks very nice, but

Corners like a train

Is that good or bad..?

mangoridebike

its good, unless there are leaves on the trail, or the wrong type of snow.

it will be more consistent in continental europe though 😉

costello
    Free Member

are those white “formula the ones”?,are they stock on the foxy?you should really swap with my black and red the ones,they would go with the linkage on your frame 😉

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve got a Dune. Very pleased with it (yes it’s overkill for the UK but so what) and the suspension is as good or better than the maestro on the Trance I had

d4
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those, ex demo from silverfish. It’s my first FS so little to compare it to but enjoying it so far.

chakaping
    Free Member

costello – The brakes were from my old Cube.

I don’t think you’d want to swap if I told you about the trouble I’ve been having with the back one lately.

Wish it had a gold linkage to match my pedals – like the RR does.

Is that good or bad..?

It was unnerving and exciting at first, and it’s good now. Even in leaves.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve got a Dune. Very pleased with it (yes it’s overkill for the UK but so what) and the suspension is as good or better than the maestro on the Trance I had

I’ve had a few Meastro-suspension Giants myself, seems a similar suspension system to my untrained eye – but the Mondraker feels less wasteful with it’s travel, if that makes sense.

I bet the Dune would be spot-on for some bits of the UK. Lifted up the 2011 RR in bike shop and it’s shockingly light, about 28lbs I think.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think its must be my next bike! 😉

slowrider
    Free Member

Looks like e lovechild of a nomad and a Reign

fbk
    Free Member

Hmmm, looks nice. I’ve been looking at these as an alternative to my current 1st choice (Zesty – let’s not start that again please!). The 2011 model just got a pretty good review in Dirt.

My main problem at the moment is finding somewhere to demo one (the fact not that many are about is appealing though 🙂 )

foxyrider
    Free Member

@fbk – foxy, foxy, foxy 😉

fbk
    Free Member

Rich – you’re right, maybe the Zesty is the one to go for 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Where are you based and how big are you FBK?

Slowrider – haha, yes it does

foxyrider
    Free Member

OK Neil – Zesty, Zesty, Zesty – mmmmmm – “look in the eyes, not around the eyes, the eyes, the eyes – your under” 😉

fbk
    Free Member

Chakaping – about 90kg and Mid-Welsh borders. Quite a way from you unfortunately.

What bike have you moved to this from and how does it compare? I’m coming from a Whyte E-120 and am looking for something a bit more DH oriented, that still climbs well (and won’t snap on me!)

mudpup
    Free Member

Gopping saddle and pedal colour matching. Spend another 50quid and get it looking nice.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

On paper they look like a good option, however having had a Summum and all of its particular little foibles, i’ll be too wary of going for a Mondraker again.

They were a nightmare to get bits for, and a lot of the pivots/linkage bolts are properly bespoke, and as a result outrageously expensive.

I sacked it off earlier this year, having spent a numerous points of last year with a pile of bits & no working bike. The sizing on them was all over the place too.

chakaping
    Free Member

Chakaping – about 90kg and Mid-Welsh borders. Quite a way from you unfortunately.

What bike have you moved to this from and how does it compare? I’m coming from a Whyte E-120 and am looking for something a bit more DH oriented, that still climbs well (and won’t snap on me!)

Had a Zesty before this, which was a very very good bike and had a more conventional feel. My gripes were the press fit BB and that it was a bit heavier than I like a frame to be.

Foxy is longer, lower and “more of a sled than a rig” (as one wag wrote on this site once).

Not better necessarily but quite different and not really like any other 140mm bike I’ve ridden.

EDIT: I meant how tall are you, but yes mid-wales is a bit of a trip however I will be riding over that way this summer at some point.

Hob Nob – I’m already having trouble getting a mech hanger! Having Silverfish as the importer probably doesn’t help keep prices sensible either.

fbk
    Free Member

Good comparison, and certainly gives me something to think about. I’m 6ft and normally ride a medium frame (med Zesty felt spot on).

Bespoke spares doesn’t sound much fun, although I guess that’s the same with most modern frames (unless you go for a Five or something)

chakaping
    Free Member

Frame sizes have changed a bit for 2011 actually, the medium has a longer TT specifically. Dunno about the large.

Definitely one to try before you buy anyway.

fbk
    Free Member

That’s great – thanks for the advice. I’m hoping to get to the Rutland Cycles demo day so hopefully they’ll have a medium there.

Cheers

chakaping
    Free Member

Gopping saddle and pedal colour matching.

Agreed, but saddle is a stopgap and I have a white Gobi waiting to go on it.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Hey Gents.
    It’s good to read the comments on here, good or bad, about Mondraker.

Just a couple of points – FBK there will be a medium Foxy at the Rutland demo, I’ll be there with it too 🙂
    We are also planning on a demo day on June the 16th in South Wales with a shop in Cardiff called Muddy Bum Bikes, this could be closer for you?

Regarding small parts – all of our small parts pricing is on our website but to give you an idea a bearing kit is £23, a steel bolt kit is £32 (admittedly an alloy version is over £100 but these are damn expensive to manufacture) and a mech hanger is £27.
    I think these compare pretty similarily with most other brands.

As for supply of parts last year, yeah, I’ll hold my hands up. Last year was our first with Mondraker and it was a massive learning curve. However learn we have and we’re in a far better position with all stock right now.

Cheers Guys.

Richie

chakaping
    Free Member

The 2011 model just got a pretty good review in Dirt.

The copy I just got said it would be reviewed next month, did you type that from the future?

fbk
    Free Member

richiethesilverfish – thanks for the info. I may see you at Rutland but you’re right – Cardiff would be closer…is that one really on June 16th? On a Thursday???

Chakaping – nope, there was an Enduro feature in last months mag and the bright green Foxy was reviewed in it 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Ah right, just dug it out and read it. Yes they did seem to like it.

Interesting that they measured the HA at 66.5, while it’s quoted at 68 I believe.

I haven’t put a protractor on mine, but while it’s not mega slack it does feel on the relaxed side of normal.

hora
    Free Member

mech hanger is £27

Wow. Someones making a pretty high % markup on a small metal part. 😐

bullittino
    Free Member

Hi. New member, came here looking for info on the foxy. I bought the 2011 Foxy last month. My first full susp. Got half way into a nice XC ride yesterday and so far love it. For the 1400 quid I paid for it I’m blown away! I am also 5’9 and got the large. It’s way more comfortable than my Kona hardtail medium!

Half way up an easy climb I snapped my chain so started to wonder about how well I should pack my back pack with spare parts and was looking for the mech hanger.

Silverfish was 27 quid, I got it from elsewhere for 18.99 incl postage. That mark up is ridiculous.

http://gearmechhanger.com/epages/950001649.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950001649/Products/D160

surrealguy
    Free Member

Good afternoon,

Bit of a thread dredge this but here goes…

I have a Mondraker Foxy RR and since new have experienced problems with the linkage undoing itself mid-ride. This is despite the application of some Loctite to all linkage bolt threads after the first occurrence, something not applied from the factory. Having to take your cranks off to do things up in the middle of a peat bog is quite an inconvenience but a process that I have now had to go through more than once.

As seemed a danger from the beginning the fancy Aluminium bolts holding the rear linkage together are apparently too soft for repeated use and, after many trailside and workshop tightenings, more than one has now gone round. During the last post-ride wash-and-check one of these rounded bolts was found to have come loose, leaving an awkward extraction and replacement dilemma.

The frame supplier has suggested that only Aluminium replacements are available and at quite a cost (as mentioned above). I suspect that they have only inspected the Silverfish website whilst looking to get replacements for me, which does not currently feature a steel bolt kit.

Does anyone have any experience of getting hold of a steel bolt kit for these bikes? I really have very little interest in paying for a like-for-like ally replacement as they are clearly unsuitable for the job. As such I’d be interested to know if anyone has got a replacement kit on warranty for a Foxy? I have read that it is apparently not unusual for Summum owners to receive warranty kits, sometimes from new!

Cheers,

Barry

Davidos
    Free Member

Barry- Loose bolt threads…

I experienced much the same, and really struggled to get a response from Silverfish, from a dealer or from Mondraker in Spain.

I couldn’t get any clarity on just wanting to buy the replacement part (Pivot axle M10 x 15, into the axle nut the one that sits behind the crank drive side) Although I may have not done a great job explaining things and it is ‘just’ a small part… my conclusion is that a single steel bolt is not available, and possibly not even a steel bolt kit anymore.
    In the end a good dose of loctite did do the job (both sides was the trick) and it’s holding for over 2 months… Once solved I’m enjoying the bike, but it came so loose once without me noticing that the paintwork on the lower chainstay rubbed away not ideal. It had a disproportionate impact on the fun I was having with the bike.
    All I can say is good luck.

RustyMac

surrealguy

Have you thought of trying to get replacment bolts through a local fastner or a bolt supplier online?

i don’t know the way that the Pivot bolts are mounted but you my find equivelents on a site like this below

http://www.pro-bolt.com/stainless-steel/stainless-steel-bolts-and-washers-countersunk.html

surrealguy
    Free Member

Hello,

After a period of no replies I’d forgotten about this thread and thought just today to check back. Thanks for your responses!

Rusty Mac
    I had considered this option but had not found anything I thought appropriate, considering the width and length of the bolts. This would undoubtedly have been cheaper than the option I have now gone with although possibly more difficult to impliment, considering the tighten from the inside type arrangement of the bolts behind the chainset.

Davidos
    The problems with these bolts has definately impacted the experience I’m having with this frame! I had previously loc-tited the bolts too but this didn’t seem to cure the problem.
    I have now sourced a lower link bolt kit and ‘shock bolt kit 1’ to replace the ruined alloy bolts in these locations. The lower link kit consists of 3 bolts and the ‘chips’ into which they screw. This was a very expensive option but at least I now have them and they have come to me in steel! The shop that is supplying the shock bolts said that all replacement bolts are now made from steel as it’s all ‘they’ (the distributors? Mondraker?) will now issue. I see this as an acknowledgement of the fact the aluminium ones weren’t up to scratch.

At the same time as getting these bolts I ordered the official bearing kit as it was £15 and that, for 8 bearings, seems a pretty keen price. Time will tell on their quality but they are from a ‘3 letter’ bearing company (like SKF/NKG/FAG) so I’m hoping they’ll fit the general idea that this means they’ll be ok.

I’ve now extracted the old bolts connecting the front end of the lower lower link to the main triangle. This was not a pleasant experience. I would have thought that the lower link would now be released from the frame and the rear triangle would pivot around the top rocker to allow access to the bearings in this location. This does not seem to be the case however. Even with a good tug (fnar) it didn’t want to come out. I’m a bit reluctant to use a persuader on it but have been left scratching my head about how else to proceed. Considering this diagram there seems to be no reason why it won’t come out.

Does anyone have any experience on replacing the bearings in this location?

Cheers,

Barry

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Mondraker Foxy – yes, another new bike, but…’ is closed to new replies.