Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Mmmmm… shiny roadie carbonaliciousness!
  • psychle
    Free Member

Received my handlebars today, an eBay bargain at well under 50% of RRP 🙂 Lovely things, suit the frame really well! Now I 'just' need some wheels and a groupset 😆

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Now that…

…excuse me…

*sits down*

I like.

Once it's fully built would you mind posting a pic or two? What are the plans for it in terms of wheels and groupset? Oh…and most importantly, once built…how does it ride?!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Interesting! 😀

peteimpreza

Does your ebay source have any more? if yes please email me a link.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Those things are silly money aren't they? £350?

woffle
    Free Member

SRAM red?

psychle
    Free Member

I think I'll go with Force tbh, most people are advising me Red isn't worth the extra jump in cost… leaves more for wheels at some point, for the moment I'm just hoping to source some decent 'training' wheels for £200-£250 or so…

cynic-al
    Free Member

You got the legs to justify that or ATGNI?

grahamt1980

cynic-al – Member

You got the legs to justify that or ATGNI?

Agreed, going to have to be quick to justify that bike.
    Bloody nice though, and jealous.
    Deep section carbon wheels?

psychle
    Free Member

ATGNI? what's that mean guv'ner?

You got the legs to justify that?

since when is it about justifying anything? 😆 But my legs are pretty good (or will be once I get back into 'proper' cycling again, part of the reason for this beauty 🙂 )

To (partly) allay the cries of 'more money than sense', it's all second-hand thus far, the R3 has a repaired righthand seatstay (very well done from what I can see, time will tell!), current spend is £730, which ain't bad at all! 8)

jonb
    Free Member

what make are they?

what is the roadie obsession with large logos, it reminds me of chav fashion.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Came to this conclusion this week on the London to Paris, if you've got a fast bike you gotta be able to use it.

one guy on a very expensive Willer walking up climbs, just not good at all.

rOcKeTdOg

THat out of alignment stem cap would annoy me!

cynic-al
    Free Member

ATGNI = All The Gear No Idea, seems fitting, only sub 22 10 riders qualify for that frame.

Only having a laugh, whatever jets you out on your bike.

pinches
    Free Member

training wheel we're got mavic Aksiums at work, £189.99 the pair, with the mavic MP3 scheme you pay an admin fee (£14 on a pair of aksiums) and you get unlimited 2yr warranty with mavic.

psychle
    Free Member

That out of alignment stem cap would annoy me!

As it would me, if it was the finished build 😉

ATGNI = All The Gear No Idea, seems fitting, only sub 22 10 riders qualify for that

Ah, should've figured it out really! Sub 22 10, I assume you mean 22 minutes for a 10 mile TT? So around 43km/hr average… nope, I don't reckon I'm that quick, yet 😉 Have never done a TT but I used to be a pretty good triathlete a few years back, would be nice to regain some of that fitness! As I recall, my PB for 40km ride was around 1hr 7min or so (35km/hr average?), followed by 10km run (I think my PB was approx 36min for that…) Swim was always my weakest leg, I hated it!

Curly68
    Free Member

Looking very nice so far. And if you like it, then it doesn't matter if you are ATGNI. I know I am!

pjt201
    Free Member

i wouldn't clamp a carbon frame like that in a workstand…

warton
    Free Member

bootiful!!!

Campag groupset please

solarider
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack psychle, but I am about to sell the wheels and groupset off my time trial bike as follows:

2010 Mavic Cosmic SLR (basically the clincher version of the Cosmic Ultimate)
    SRAM Red Cassette
    SRAM Red Rear Mech
    SRAM Red Front Mech
    SRAM Red Brakes
    SRAM Red chain
    Truvativ Ceramic BB

Because it is a tt bike, it has SRAM TT shifters and brake levers, so you would need to buy some SRAM Red shifters (or Force – they would work too).

It was built on a bit of a whim and a dream and has been ridden 50 miles so it is like absolutely new.

Let me know if it might be of interest and we can discuss a price.

poppa
    Free Member

i wouldn't clamp a carbon frame like that in a workstand…

It behaves quite elastically dontcha know. You would see it deform considerably before you did any damage.

pjt201
    Free Member

i know, but i'd clamp any bike by the seatpost.

poppa
    Free Member

Fair enough, I thought it was an anti carbon comment!

psychle
    Free Member

more shiny carbonalicousness… courtesy of Solarider 🙂

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4122/4859563611_42e7606961_b.jpg[/img]

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Pressures? I hope they are the training wheels!

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

All these dull ass new bits threads from pshycho are making me wonder what the 'ell he does for a living as well as the small hint of him being on here all the time 😛

Oh and very swish wheels.
    You'll look uber 8) in the town centre outside cafe nero.

psychle
    Free Member

Pressures?

Not sure what you're asking there guv?

I hope they are the training wheels!

picked up a set of lightly used durace wheels off here for 'training' and general use… though to be honest, these Carbones are so damn lovely, I don't know if I'll ever want to take them off! been admiring them all day, such beautiful things they are 🙂

You'll look uber 8) in the town centre outside cafe nero.

Well, hopefully I'll look uber 8) fanging around Richmond Park and the Surrey Hills… really looking forward to working on my fitness, and this baby is going to be a big part of that 🙂

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I meant you can't have a bling race bike without tubs and expect to be taken seriously, they set a true race bike apart from the other cervelos ridden round richmong park 😀

pressures= short for high pressure clinchers, ie not tubs.

It'll look very nice when it's done, but PLEASE take off the valve addenda…

psychle
    Free Member

pressures= short for high pressure clinchers, ie not tubs.

Ah, I see… not au fait with the roadie lingo me 😆

I meant you can't have a bling race bike without tubs and expect to be taken seriously, they set a true race bike apart from the other cervelos

I know tubs are what a 'proper' race bike would have… but clinchers are still pretty good nowadays right?

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

[/quote]working on my fitness, and this baby is going to be a big part of that

That's what I used to tell myself until I woke up next to cafe nero and realised it was just bull talking me into parting with money to buy a bike.

Your time will come 😆

Least you have plans anyway, nice ride and it gets the thumbs up from me.

Iirc the athertons race arouund on Cervelo's to train on just for a hoot.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

but clinchers are still pretty good nowadays right?

They're absolutely fine! mostly just a question of one-upmanship really, which is what a lot of cycling is about 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

They're absolutely fine! mostly just a question of one-upmanship really, which is what a lot of cycling is about

LOLs at the irony on this thread.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Love Sir velo, gonna save for an S2/3 when/if I get a job next year.

HOWEVER, those wheels ruin the aesthetic for me…sorry but I simply don't go for what is essentially an average quality rim with a spoiler on it.

If your gonna do those whees, they simply HAVE to be carbon tubs…darling.

You've been Gok'd

🙂

http://www.rolfprima.com/products-carbonTdF38.php

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Zipp_303_Tubular_Rear_Road_Bike_Wheel/5360046069/

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Love Sir velo, gonna save for an S2/3 when/if I get a job next year.

HOWEVER, those wheels ruin the aesthetic for me…sorry but I simply don't go for what is essentially an average quality rim with a spoiler on it.

If your gonna do those whees, they simply HAVE to be carbon tubs…darling.

You've been Gok'd

🙂

http://www.rolfprima.com/products-carbonTdF38.php

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Zipp_303_Tubular_Rear_Road_Bike_Wheel/5360046069/

warton
    Free Member

a fine choice of wheels. That bike is looking serious mate, top job. I do like the SRAM cranks, nice and chunky.
    I'm currently speccing out my dream road bike, to be build up over the winter, I'm going with campag chorus 11….

One more thing, those seat stays are insane!

Mister-P
    Free Member

Who did the repair?

finbar
    Free Member

Tubs are for clueless poseurs and sponsored racers only (oh, and triathletes). Given the increase in RR you get from using tub tape or imperfect gluing and the quality of 'open tubular' type clinchers, i've yet to read a convincing argument in their favour.

psychle
    Free Member

Who did the repair?

Carbon Cycle Repairs (CBR) carried it out, looks pretty solid to me, I'm no expert though 😆 ! I think I'll get the chainstay painted at some point, though for now will leave it naked just to keep an eye on it…

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Tubs are for clueless poseurs and sponsored racers only (oh, and triathletes

I'm going to chomp here….
    Why is it teams that spends 100s of thousands of pounds getting the most efficient bikes use tubs (GB track team for example), even those sponsored by companies that don't do tubs anymore?

Rolling resistance arguments aside, tub rims are lighter and/or stronger, less prone to pinch punctures and are safer in the event of a puncture. Tubs do deform better due to their shape and so grip harder too

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Maybe the photo doesn't do it justice (probably the case)…. but that 'repair' looks interesting….

Oh, and…

Why is it teams that spends 100s of thousands of pounds getting the most efficient bikes use tubs (GB track team for example), even those sponsored by companies that don't do tubs anymore?

Rolling resistance arguments aside, tub rims are lighter and/or stronger, less prone to pinch punctures and are safer in the event of a puncture. Tubs do deform better due to their shape and so grip harder too

All true and very real benefits…. provided you have a team car following you to hand up a wheel in the event of a flat….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Mmmmm… shiny roadie carbonaliciousness!’ is closed to new replies.