Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Misuse of Language/Creeping Americanisms.
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think I prefer my interpretation tbh. 😐

mattsccm
    Free Member

So sad, the aasumption that change is inevitable, good or not to be challenged.
    Anyway what p**** me off is the use of Sea Bass on menus.
    We don’t have fresh water Bass so all are sea bass.
    Also can you fry any other way but in a pan? So why “pan fried”?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

And not only that, right, but you get diffrunt sorts of payns;

Saucepayns, Frying payns, erm, woks…

jon1973
    Free Member

Monetize

It’s quite an old word really, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, and means to express in the form of currency.

late 19th century: from French monétiser, from Latin moneta ‘money’

It’s not an Americanism.

ojom
    Free Member

I think I prefer my interpretation tbh

I am not a religious man but i wish to god it was a photoshop filter like what you have suggested.

Sadly we are not that lucky.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

jon1973 – Member

Monetize

It’s quite an old word really, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, and means to express in the form of currency.

late 19th century: from French monétiser, from Latin moneta ‘money’

It’s not an Americanism.

Is it just that spelling it with a Zee 😡 makes it look like one?

ojom
    Free Member

Thanks for that Jon. Still bugs though.

jon1973
    Free Member

Is it just that spelling it with a Zee makes it look like one?

It’s not just an American thing, it’s words with Latin roots that use the z. The Americans have just retained it more that other English speaking countries. English is such a mix of different languages, you’re bound to get variations. It is just evolution – you can’t dictate how people use the language, cos it’s a living thing really.

We’ll all b using txt spk in 20 yrs time. imho.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I genuinely find it distracting and awkward to read. It trips up the eye and breaks the flow of what you’re saying; it’s like watching a period drama and seeing a pocket calculator in the background, your brain goes “wait, what?” for a moment.

It might just be me, I don’t know. I don’t have the same problem with regionalisms generally, ‘owt’ and ‘wee’ and suchlike, perhaps because they’re words in their own right rather than regular words spelt differently for no discernible reason?

I quite like that as an explanation. 😀

Words are only spelt as they are cos someone wrote them down like that once. And then other people agreed that maybe a particular word should be spelt like that. And how many words are actually diffrunt to their original spelling?

Take the word ‘home’, frinstance. Now Sottish folk will know that this word can be pronounced ‘hyem’. Many actually do. That’s because it’s originally a Norse word, hjem, what’s bin corrupted over time to become ‘home’. Lots of things were probbly spelt diffrunt to dissacociate them from the culture from whence they came. Certainly, a lot of English words were ‘Frenchified’ by ponces wanting to look all posh an ting. And some poncy types still use French words to try to appear posh, dun’t they? 😉

Language is a marvellous, organic, living thing. Embrace it, don’t be frightened of it…

Cougar

We’ll all b using txt spk in 20 yrs time. imho.

Not whilst I’ve got a hole in my arse we won’t.

Cougar

And then other people agreed that maybe a particular word should be spelt like that.

And where would we be if we didn’t have rules? France. </Al Murray>

jon1973
    Free Member

Not whilst I’ve got a hole in my arse we won’t.

Well, me neither, but if you see other forums (IMDB, is a good example) which aren’t frequented by middle-aged IT professionals, the rot has set it, and it’s not going to change. We’ll all sound like someone out of a Dickens novel to them.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Anyway what p**** me off is the use of Sea Bass on menus.
    We don’t have fresh water Bass so all are sea bass.

Er, there are freshwater bass

jon1973
    Free Member

…and the double bass, of course.

konabunny
    Free Member

…and Nicki Minaj has super bass.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Sry Cougar, jst trtd a ptnt who filled his colostomy bag…. h8 to think that may be any 1 of us in 20yrs time! 😉

Sandwich

comparing the spellings of every word in four leading American dictionaries

There’s the problem. OED FTW.

I use ” can I get/ can I have” all the time. So what!

Young Lady, the person behind the counter does the getting (that is what they are paid for, it’s not self-service). Now go and think about what you have done!

spelling it with a Zee

It’s ZED, I despair. Country’s going to the dogs, what!

jon1973
    Free Member

don’t you mean dogz?

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Misuse of Language/Creeping Americanisms.’ is closed to new replies.