Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Mini Advice Poll- Mayhem- First 24 Solo – Bar ends or Not?
  • Chainline
    Free Member

Come on guys help me, pros and cons of bar ends.

Setup is Titus x-carbon, flat bars, 640 wide ( I had to change the 600’s I’m used to 780’s!!)

Cockpit feel is rangy enough I think, longer than my AM bike but not so long I’ll have a broken back and neck after 24hrs. I am very used to training on the roadie on the hoods.

I rode Bikefest on the wife’s bike which is a bit small with the narrower bars and bar ends and it was nice on the climbs, but maybe cos of the tighter cockpit.

I feel a wee bit ‘hemmed in’ on the twisty bits with bar ends for some reason..not sure Mayhem has many twisty bits 🙂 or if I’ll care after a few hours.

so I’m not sure i’m convinced, I’m in new territory, never done 24 solo, never ridden extensively with bar ends. Thought maybe I should cos alot of those xc racers seem to use them, but looking at pics, not too may of the 24 boys appear too?

I’ve got some nice comfy foam grips I’m holding off fitting till I’ve made the decision as once on, they’ll be a pig to move…so what do the single track massive, or more importantly some of you with experience, think?

Chainline
    Free Member

Oh, and I don’t really like the look of them but that’s secondary…

JoB
    Free Member

the start line of your first (or any) 24hr solo is not the time to be experimenting with cockpit set-up IMO

vdubber67
    Free Member

I use bar ends on both the bikes that I do marathon and 24hr type things on. Find them great for changing hand positions etc. Not just for climbing, for general riding.

I think it’s a carry-over from riding road bikes – sort of equivalent to changing between hoods/tops etc.

The only thing I’d want to mention is that I tend to run quite wide flat bars to allow for the bar ends as otherwise the bars are too narrow when I’m not on the ends.

Stick em on. Go for a spin, see if you like them. If they annoy you during MM – take em off half way round? 🙂

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

If you don’t already use them I wouldn’t go fitting them now. That said, I’ve done some solo 24’s and to be honest by 3am you’ll feel so screwed you probably wouldn’t even know if you were riding a donkey never mind using a piddly little pair of bar ends!!

Chainline
    Free Member

JoB, I know, but I’m breaking all the rules, it’s a new bike!! I ordered it to build 6 wks ago but it failed to turn up and my other bike is totally non suitable being a 33lb 160mm monster Enduro bike.

So I kinda have no choice as the bike only arrived yesterday.

I am used to riding on hoods which is why I thought they might be good and I did buy wider bars than I started with and rode at Bikefest for the reasons mentioned, it felt too restrictive. I’m very tempted to leave them off…

shortcut

Stick em on then. You don’t need our opinion!

brakeswithface

Surely over the course of a 24 hour solo the time it takes to remove some bar ends is neither here nor there? Put them on, and if you don’t like them just take them off.

EDIT – just re-read and saw about the foam grips.

Junkyard
    Free Member

try them and see I have them on all my bikes and with risers and ergo grips
    Dont care what the fashion police say it is a bike and designed to be comfortable.
    A forumite did once quip ah that is what they are for when I hung my helmet from them on a long road climb one summer

amt27
    Free Member

changing bike setup the week before Mayhem, great idea, go for it

I take it you read through the Mayhem advice page that STW put together

Chainline
    Free Member

I’m not changing bike setup, I am setting up the bike!! And yes I read the advice, but despite ordering the bike and intending to ride it lots, it didn’t turn up, go figure.. So stuck with what I have, just thought I’d ask for a view on the bar ends 😯

grtdkad

Fit. They will give you an option to change your position on the bike.
    Go put your old saddle back on though!

I use them for all rides, including 24 hour solos.
    But then, I also use a Rohloff, pioneering maverick that I am.

daveells
    Free Member

Still got the Jones Phil?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Bar ends

dave360

YES. It’s a major advantage to be able to change hand / wrist positions.

jameso

If you ride on the road a lot, bar ends / h-bars are great for enduro MTB rides and having the ability to change hand position is a major benefit. You have nothing to loose by adding them apart from 3/4″ of bar width, for an addition like this I wouldn’t worry that it’s close to the event at all.

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

Its my first Solo too (first race even) and im going for bar ends on my hardtail.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Just like Jo said:

NEVER try anything new on race day, let alone on the start line of your fist 24hr race!

Rob
    bigrobracing.co.uk

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’m not changing bike setup, I am setting up the bike!!

have you got them on your 160 bike?

terrahawk
    Free Member

don’t try new stuff like saddles and possibly grips…but bar ends? They’re just bar ends. Stick em on.

(I just said that to confuse matters, BTW)

robdeanhove
    Free Member

A compromise of maybe just one bar end, to minimise the changes, yet realise some of the benefits perhaps?

terrahawk
    Free Member

you’re a bloody genius 😉

Chainline
    Free Member

😆

I’m leaving them off, but taking them 😀

Saddle is changed! I love my SDG fxr which I’ve had for miles and miles and years BUT it’s no good in a more stretched position for some reason, I fitted one to my roadie commuter cos I love it so much on the mtb and hated it.

I rode bel airs before that and I think they’re better for me in a more stretched position, last few days riding have presented no porbls so well see.

I also didn’t want lock on’s as I do find on long long rides they are a bit hard.

Went with Ozriders and must say very very impressed, just the right amount of give, loads of grip in the wet and he bonus is light not the reason.

It’s pretty much d day now so cheers for the advice guys see you there..

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Mini Advice Poll- Mayhem- First 24 Solo – Bar ends or Not?’ is closed to new replies.