Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Mineral oil on pads
  • prezet
    Free Member

So, was bleeding my new SLX’s last night and got a couple of drops of mineral oil on the pads 🙁

The rear now squeals horribly – any way to stop this? I heard a rumour about putting the pads in the oven?

djglover
    Free Member

I’ve done the oven thing before with success

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

the oven thing (I use a burning pot of meths) does work -ish, if your pad contamination is light. They’re unlikely to ever be as good again though. The only real solution is to get new pads and clean the disc with a clean rag and residue free solvent.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    catfishsalesco
    Free Member

I have a similar problem- however I dont think I have got any oil on them! Front brake, only about 4 rides old, is now rather squealy, what else causes this? Had it before when I have done a poor bleed job, but these were working lovely last time the bike was out. Any way to visually check of contamination of the pads?

sobriety
    Free Member

This is why I always use the bleed block when doing shimano brakes, I have used the cover in solvent and then BURN, BURN! MY PRETTIES! technique before with variable results.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

I have a similar problem- however I dont think I have got any oil on them! Front brake, only about 4 rides old, is now rather squealy, what else causes this? Had it before when I have done a poor bleed job, but these were working lovely last time the bike was out. Any way to visually check of contamination of the pads?

They are infected put em on a hot hob till they stop smoking

emac65
    Free Member

Hold with pliers or mole grips etc,then heat with a plumbers blow torch.Don’t try to melt them just waft the flame over them till it stops smoking & crackling……

Squirrel

I tried the hot (gas) hob method. Seemed to work, apart from the pad material falling off the backing plate……..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Mineral oil on pads’ is closed to new replies.