Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Midlife crisis purchase
  • jimster01

Turned fifty back in march, everything was going swell until last week and had the urge to recapture my yoof, or refuse to grow up. I bought, not a sports car or a motorbike, but a skateboard!!

It’s great and I can’t wait to hit the Braunton bowl.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Good for you! I’m looking forward to a glue-sniffing revival in my fifties.

Rickos
    Free Member

jimster at the weekend…

scruff
    Free Member

We’ve had a brilliant bowl built near us, I’ve been down on my own (no kids) 3 times and getting really back into skating, bought new wheels bearings pads and helmet, lost it on a corner & smacked my knee and not been able to walk or ride properly for two weeks now (Im 42) 😳

pastypunk

47 and been skating again recently for the first time since I was about 25 and hyper extended my knee skating, love it but just take it real easy and just carve around, still a great feeling..enjoy and except it may hurt but hey crashing on a bike can hurt too..

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I think it’s very cool to keep skating , bmx, mixing records, whatever. Keep it up

BobaFatt
    Free Member

nice one, get on over to MAS

I’ve been swithering for a while but will most likely be scratching that itch soon (39 with a mental age of 14)

AdamB
    Free Member

Injuries always came with the territory when I used to skate. They just seem to linger around a bit more the older you get.

I suggest keeping a lid on trying that set of 20 that would be oh so sweet to land and concentrate on carving up the bowl!

samuri
    Free Member

That sounds brilliant. Have a wonderful time. I’ve got a photo of when I had the same idea. Hang on, let me dig it out……

Here you go. GOOD LUCK!!!!

jimster01

Thanks for the advice guy’s, just intend carving around the bowl not intending to start doing flips and the like. I was unfortunately the only kid to do his ankle in at school on a skateboard, a reputation I’m not that eager to repeat at work.

JoeG
    Free Member

totalshell

51yr old pie eater.. new skateboard ( when i say new the one i had at 16, kryptonics, acs 651 trucks that dad recently pulled from his loft) and the bmx i bought for my 50th. great to have them in the van and if passing the local park on a sunny day whip em out and ride for 10 minutes.. puts a smile on..

jimster01

Had a go in the Braunton bowl the other day,forgot how knackering it was too ride a board. Just need to sort out lines and confidence to ride it quicker.

trevron73
    Free Member

I bought one 5 years ago to ride down the hill to the pub , I just Ordered a Pharrell williams Billionaire boys club/ice cream star field deck after lusting after one for 6 months , the wife aint gonna be happy , i need to trick it out with trucks and hardware now (gonna get expensive )

Pigface
    Free Member

http://www.middle-age-shred.com/

Used to be a great site but I havent visited for a long time, skating is great but will hurt you badly 😆 its just a matter of when.

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t need to buy a new skateboard. Still got mine from the 70s. Tracker trucks, Sims CompII wheels, homemade deck

Not this one, but always go with an excuse to dig this pic out 😀

twinw4ll
    Free Member

After reading this thread, i bought a board, i was crap as a kid and i’m still crap, but bloody hell i’m really enjoying it, gettin maximum respect from local yuffs though, sick. 8)
    Took the knee out of a perfectly good pair of jeans after having to bail on a run which was way too fast for my ability. 😯

brassneck

Had a go in the Braunton bowl the other day,forgot how knackering it was too ride a board. Just need to sort out lines and confidence to ride it quicker.

My sister in law is round the corner, spotted that for the first time last time we were down. Bringing the board next time, looks sweet that.

I started again as I got bored watching my kids .. regular Ramp Nation visits now for male bonding and A&E visits. Just need to teach the eldest to drive, but as he can’t reach the pedals it’s a bit of an ask.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Awesome DezB, even cooler than I was then (mum made me wear Clarks).

4130s0ul
    Free Member

I recently bought a ‘cruiser’ board as my friend is into longboarding but I didn’t want to commit to something so big.
    It’s been great to get out and skate again. though by skate I do mean wobble along looking tre gangly.

I can recommend a cruiser board for those who want to ride and carve rather than do tricks n stunts. it has a more surfy feel too it and also rolls on nice wide old school wheels.

though the helmet, knee pads, ankle / wrist guards, elbow pads and 661 padded shorts do make me look pretty stupid as far as the kids are concerned…but hey, i’m still walking (please don’t jinx it please don’t jinx it!)

trevron73
    Free Member

My deck arrived – wife went mad , just got to syphon cash away for wheels , trucks ,risers,rails and bearings , fully pimped over £200 i will be scared to ride – i think it will stay on the wall and ill use my ebay special . not sure if i ditched the elbow/knee and wrist guards ggrrrr for the Gnarr

jimster01

Started to look at a longboard now for commuting purposes,where will it all end?

Solo
    Free Member

I never really got the skate board thing. It looks like such a stupid form of locomotion.

Mid 40s here and I’ll be sticking with a modest collection of bicycles and nippy German cars.

Enjoy the skate boarding, along with you getting to know the staff, on first name terms, at our local Accident and Emergency.
    🙂

cloudnine
    Free Member

jimster01 – Member
    where will it all end?

A&E… wondering if you can still go to work with a plaster cast on your arm

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Midlife crisis purchase’ is closed to new replies.