Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 154 total)
  • Middle lane Hogging on M8 motorway.
  • supertacky
    Free Member

okay this week i counted the number of people hogging the middle lane of the motorway on my run to work each day. Interesting demographic at almost 80% female.

What causes that then?

scaredypants

What causes that then?

all the blokes were in the outside lane ? – Presumably, as on the M27, nobody at all drives on the left lane

maccruiskeen

where did you find a middle lane on the M8?
    🙂

falkirk-mark

anywhere between Renfrew and Govan

maccruiskeen

ahh the 40mph, no 50mph, no 60, no its 50mph again, no its 70 bit

druidh
    Free Member

I avoid the inside lane on most of the Glasgow urban section of the M8.

simon_g

What causes that then?

It means they can join the motorway and not have to worry themselves with lane changes until they have to leave again. Trucks on the left, reps in a hurry on the right.

The idea of keeping left unless overtaking seems lost on these people, even when flashed up on the signs.

stavromuller
    Free Member

So it’s finally spread that far north, it started on the M25 and yes it is usually SWFs

tony_m
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    I avoid the inside lane on most of the Glasgow urban section of the M8.

To be honest, if I’m heading north up towards the Erskine Bridge / A82 etc. (or back south the same way) I usually do the same! 😳

Edit: as per thegreatape, this was before the M74 extension, obviously!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Pre the new bit of motorway that (relatively) skips the congestion, if you stayed left until the signs showed your route, you could get stuck there lane with no one letting you in to the correct lane. Fine if you knew in advance of the signs which lane you would eventually need to be in, not fine if you didn’t.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Scottish road network (OK, more Glaswegian, but it does stretch elsewhere) seems to have an inbuilt error. IT’s something I noticed as soon as I moved here, they so frequently use the inside lane on all major roads for bus lanes/parking areas (and then make them variously timed so you have to watch the signs like a hawk to see if you’re allowed in them or not) that most people just don’t bother ever using the inside lane on *any* road. Add to the fact that, as said, most of the M8 through the city and out west has the most bizarre signage that ends up with you constantly moving in and out of the left hand lane if you want to continue straight on that really it’s basically just teaching folk to use roads incorrectly.

And that’s ignoring the mind-**** that is leaving and joining a motorway in the outside lane, which is (AFAIK) the only place in the country/union that does?!

chamley
    Free Member

Leeds inner ring road has right hand exits, but if you’re driving in Leeds city for the first time then it’s the least of your worries. “The Loop” sounds like such an innocent term to the uninitiated…

nick1962
    Free Member

And that’s ignoring the mind-**** that is leaving and joining a motorway in the outside lane, which is (AFAIK) the only place in the country/union that does?!

There’s a bit on the M60 near Stockport where a slip road joins the outside lane too.Must say that the M8 signage and layoutis very poor esp.around Glasgow. Plus am I the only person to obey the 40mph limit on the Paisley section just before the airport turn off?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Plus am I the only person to obey the 40mph limit on the Paisley section just before the airport turn off?

Yup!

Well I didn’t know wrong-site entry/exits were so common! The number of people you see coming on/off them looking utterly bewildered and having to panic and get across from right to left is beyond funny.

hugor
    Free Member

I’m a middle lane person and love it.
    The left constantly has hassles with the entering lanes and I can’t be bothered.
    The right usually has hazzards like ice or snow and speeding cars are usually right on your butt hassling you constantly.
    The middle is for cruizing and relaxing at or slightly above the speed limit.
    Thats how I like to drive.

coffeeking
    Free Member

But everyone else hates you!

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>I’m a middle lane person and love it.<

Yeah and Truckers love guys like you.

Far far worse than the middle lane hogging on what little 3 lane motorway we actually have is the outside lane hogging on the dual section between Ballieston and Hermiston Gate.

konabunny
    Free Member

*Reports post to avoid forthcoming flame war* 😉

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Must admit to doing the same on certain stretches. Given the volume of traffic and the amount of times the left lane goes off it’s easier.

Brycey
    Free Member

I know we’ve covered this a trillion times but the poor lane discipline in this country gets my goat. I reckon the M8’s the worst, but the M6 south of the Thelwall Viaduct in the morning is a close second.

I once saw a Police Range Rover undertake a load of folk slowly with the rear electronic sign in the window saying “move left, use correct lane discipline” but that was about 5 years ago.

irc

To be honest, if I’m heading north up towards the Erskine Bridge / A82 etc. (or back south the same way) I usually do the same!

Heard about a motorway cop stopped a middle lane driver on the M8 east around Govan for speeding. Mentioned in passing that was she aware she should use the LH lane when it was clear. This was 3am.

She looked at him like he was daft and said “But this is the lane that goes to Edinburgh!!”

grahamh
    Free Member
    aP
    Free Member

But everyone knows that the 1st lane is restricted to people in trade.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Slaves?

chakaping
    Free Member

I know we’ve covered this a trillion times but the poor lane discipline in this country gets my goat. I reckon the M8’s the worst, but the M6 south of the Thelwall Viaduct in the morning is a close second

Unless by “this country” you mean Scotland, I’m going to have to take issue with this and invite you to come and visit the M25.

And if you do mean Scotland, you don’t know how good youy’ve got it.

The lane discipline gets noticeably better the further north I go when driving M1 – M6 – A74(M).

Brycey
    Free Member

I mean uk.

hugor
    Free Member

I think merging lanes are way too short in this country and create undue danger with left lane driving.
    There are a few sections round my way where accidents occur every week without fail.
    Merging cars need to be given time to match the motorway speed and find a safe gap.
    Left lane drivers need enough time to see the merging cars and find a gap in the middle lane.
    Merging lanes in Australia have a good half a kilometer before joining the main highway.
    Here its a few hundred yards at best.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve been to Australia too, we are way better drivers than them so don’t need such long merge lanes.

jota180
    Free Member

The M8 is a bit odd through Glasgow but most urban motorways are

if you think we’re bad drivers, you should give Naples a try
    my missus is from Naples and it used to scare me shitless when we went there, now I just join in
    I’ve seen cars literally pushing others along if they don’t get a move on 😀

althepal

Bad driving? I was in Northern Ireland and was over/under taken by a coach on the hard shoulder once. Quite common apparently. Made worse by the fact it was an a road with an unsurfaced shoulder..Bonkers!

passtherizla
    Free Member

hugor – Member
    The left constantly has hassles with the entering lanes and I can’t be bothered.
    The right usually has hazzards like ice or snow and speeding cars are usually right on your butt hassling you constantly.
    The middle is for cruizing and relaxing at or slightly above the speed limit.
    Thats how I like to drive.

ha ha ha ha ha ha…..

constant hassles!!?? what about, in between junctions when there definitely isn’t anything entering the motorway do you pull in then or just stay where you are?

the middle lane is not for ‘cruizing’

This problem is nation wide… I see hundreds of cars sat in the middle lane at midnight not another car in sight and they’re still **** sitting there!!!??? retards.

bencooper
    Free Member

Russia has (or had many years ago) 3 lane motorways – not three lanes each way, three lanes total. One lane going each direction, and a shared overtaking lane in the middle. You can imagine the fun when two people going opposite directions both try to overtake.

On the other hand, British roads terrify my American relatives. A long time ago, my uncle got so flustered about whether to go left or right at a roundabout that he took the third choice, went straight ahead, and ripped the chassis off the bottom of the car…

passtherizla
    Free Member

ha ha, my grandad, gave some americans directions once upon a time…. he said blah blah blah, go staight over the island… only to keep walking up the road to see them stranded in the middle of an island.

trail_rat
    Free Member

On dual carridgewaysnive adopted the african technique – if your hogging and i come upbehind you get a minute or so t then 2 flashes if you dont move you get the horn ….if you dont move i lean on the horn nd if you still dont move ill undertake you.

Not my fault you cant drive.

Ben cooper im just back from ukraine – same thing there i spent a large ammount of my time there in cars with eyes closed ! But crazy thing isthe drivers paynso much more attention and knowmexactly where folk are !

trail_rat
    Free Member

Pass the rizla – if im traveling at night ill drive middle lane too as the left lane is tramlinned to **** and regularly potholled and rough as due to trucks

But i am alert and if i see other cars i will pull left to let them past – if it is a busy road i hang a left

passtherizla
    Free Member

I’ve never really noticed the difference between the condition of the lanes…

hugor
    Free Member

This problem is nation wide… I see hundreds of cars sat in the middle lane at midnight not another car in sight and they’re still **** sitting there!!!??? retards.

If there’s not another car in sight then its not bothering anybody then is it?

On dual carridgewaysnive adopted the african technique – if your hogging and i come upbehind you get a minute or so t then 2 flashes if you dont move you get the horn ….if you dont move i lean on the horn nd if you still dont move ill undertake you.

Sounds like road rage to me. You’re a very responsible driver. 😀

if im traveling at night ill drive middle lane too as the left lane is tramlinned to **** and regularly potholled and rough as due to trucks

But you were saying its not ok a second ago

gwaelod
    Free Member

I was hammering along the M8 in the outside lane years ago, and it turned into a slip road and put me into easterhouse without me realising it.

FFS

Madness

trail_rat
    Free Member

It doesnt happen very often – i drive at speedlimit so if your in the outside lane and im behind you at the nsl then wtf are you doing ?

mintimperial

leaving and joining a motorway in the outside lane, which is (AFAIK) the only place in the country/union that does?!

There’s a bit of the A58(M) in Leeds that does that too. Technically it’s a proper motorway, but really it’s more like a dual carriageway with ideas above its station.

Cor, I know some fascinating stuff, me. 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘Middle lane Hogging on M8 motorway.’ is closed to new replies.